What's new

Mario 64 save help!

Woopdedoopba

Ok, so first when i would try to save a file it would place it in the project 64 save folder as supermario64.pj.zip but project64 wont let me open that file. what should I change it to? How should I open it? And now for some reason the save files are not even showing up in the folder even though I know they are there because I did a search on them and found their file location.
Any suggestions?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
How exactly are you trying to open the save state files?

Note that you shouldn't rely solely on savestates, since they can get corrupted easily. Use the game's own save feature.

MetaGunner

Befuddled Rookie
I have the same problem with Banjo-Tooie. I selected Slot 1, saved using f5, then closed the game and started it again, and my game had been saved. So I played for about an hour, tapping f5 every few minutes, then I decided I'd better make double-sure by using Save and Quit. I opened the game again, and my save information was gone. :corpse: So I thought, maybe I have to open my save directly. I checked the Save folder, but I still couldn't find my save files. Annoyed, I scoured the Game FAQs, with yielded nothing, then came here and spotted this thread. So, the game's own save feature doesn't work, my saves have vanished, and if they're there but invisible like Woop suspects, I can't fathom how to open them. Support, Please!!

Agozer

Make sure that the folder Project64 uses to store saves isn't read-only.

MetaGunner

Befuddled Rookie
It is, in fact, Read-Only. Access is denied as regards changing that, though. Tell me how to fix it and you'll be a 16-bit hero :inlove:

Agozer

Where did you install Project64? Are you running Windows XP or some other OS?

MetaGunner

Befuddled Rookie
I didn't install it anywhere, it's on the disc. Do I have to take it out and put it somehwere? I'm running Vista.:(

Agozer

... on what disc? If Project64 is run from a CD/DVD with default paths, you can be damn sure that saving won't work because regular disc media is read-only by design.

I would recommend that you download the Project64 installation package from the official homepage, install it onto your hard drive, and use it from there. At least you shouldn't have any saving issues.

MetaGunner

Befuddled Rookie
Whamo Game Studios. They're the ones marketing this bullshit. Whamo-Games.com is printed on the case I got, but it doesn't exist. I ordered Banjo-Tooie, the game for windows (Sucker that I am) and I got Whamo Volume 3 instead - the P64 Emulator on a disc, with ten games. :angry:

I've told eBay the situation as regards these sellers (There's several apparently; have a look at this thread. It's the only thing that came up when I searched for Whamo Game Studios - http://forums.anandtech.com/message...readid=2294028&highlight_key=y&keyword1=Whamo ) I'm not sure how hard eBay will crack down on these wankers, if at all. Their support staff are very stupid, and there's no way to report a method of fraud that you've found while buying. The best I could do was explaining the whole thing in the "Listings Violation" after poking and prodding two foolish Live Help employees who kept linking me to the "Help" section where I found them. :angry: eBay = Security Impotent :angry:

Is there anyone in relation to P64 that I should tell about this? Or is it useless, what with it being freeware?

Agozer

eBay is the one that needs to be notified in cases like these (and apparently, that's exactly what has been done), not the authors of Project64. Stuff like this is also very common, unfortunately. People that sell these emulators know full well what they're doing and target people like you.

For future reference, only a handful of emulators are commercial in nature (and not truly commercial anyway, rather shareware), and even then it would be illegal to sell "registered" version of those emulators anywhere - unless it's done by the emulator author on his/her/their own site, and not via retailers or auctions of any kind.

Furthermore, I know only one truly commercial emulator that ever existed - Bleem!, which ultimately faced a company bankruptcy when Sony dragged them to court.

Last edited:

Allnatural

roflmfao

ahem...sorry

*snicker*

Ok. Seriously, in the future, do plenty of research before buying anything.

Agozer

Besides, a claim that someone engineers old console games to work on a PC, without a mention of emulation, is already in itself highly questionable. Even if they did mention emulation, selling emulators with commercial games is still very illegal.

Official porting of console games to PCs or other hardware are done by the original developers (owners of the IP) or by some third party developers in the form of contractual work - certainly not by some no-name "company" that advertises and sells "their work" (ha) in places like eBay.

Last edited:

MetaGunner

Befuddled Rookie
Well that's awesome Agozer.

Now where were you and your scolding tone 3 weeks ago when I decided, What the hell, I'll buy this thing and hope for the best. :matrix:

Allnatural

Well, I suppose you should be commended for at least thinking you were doing the right thing by purchasing the game. Most people (*cough* myself included) are all, "gimmie the free romz!"

MetaGunner

Befuddled Rookie
Yeah....Well I won't feel so guilty now, since I would only be buying a second hand game from someone else on eBay anyway. Where might I swipe said romz?

MetaGunner

Befuddled Rookie
Alright. Why? Not advertising on forums makes sense, but if someone goes to the Pizza forums and gets banned for asking where to get a pizza....You couldn't blame someone for thinking, who thought up that dumbass rule?