What's new

Mari Kart 64 Issue

super_gamer

I'm not too sure if its the way that I have saved the game as to begin with the sound and music was in perfect working order, however, I noticed within half a dozen saves that the music has since become absent whilst on the race course, the SFX and other music chimes/loops are in working order.

Its just the main music that's not functioning and its really odd not having that music in the background encouraging you along.

I've tried restore, saving the games to different slots etc and the music is still not working.

All the settings are on default, except for screen size which is 1024,x768 32mb 60Hz.

I have a GeForce 5500 FX graphics card and good PC speakers.

Could you please help me as to how I correct this music issue please.

Thank you.

Alunalun

Sounds like your save states are the problem? They are very unreliable. Load a native save instead, they are much better. You do that by just opening the game in the ROM browser and loading as you would on the N64. In the case of Mario Kart saving and loading is all automatic so you should just be able to load the ROM and play.

OP
S

super_gamer

I tried your method and transferred the saved data from slot 4 to default ~, it seems to be that 100cc is buggy as 50cc and 150cc are in working order.

I even played the same file on slot 4 with 50cc and 150cc and the music works fine just the 100cc is the one at fault and I have no idea as to why the music just ceased.

I've got all the gold cups for the 100cc, at least I can place my focus now onto the other cups, the music is in working order.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Alunalun

No no, you do not need to be using save slots or save slot 4 or the default save slot at all. You open the ROM and play, WITHOUT loading any saves. With project 64 it is possible, and more reliable, to save only in the same way that the N64 saves. So e.g. on Zelda you save by going to the pause menu and pressing B, and load by selecting your save file from the menu after you 'Press Start'. This is using a 'native save'. Mario Kart 64 saves and loads your progress to the virtual 'cartridge' automatically so you can just load the ROM and play *without* using F7 or system>load.

The other method of saving, by using F5 or system>save, creates a 'save state' that can cause errors when loaded (with F7 or system>load). I think this is what has happened to you. You should be abe to restore 100cc and prevent future problems if you avoid save states.

Sometimes the native saves don't work, but this is just because of incorrect settings so ask again.

Clements

Yeah, the L button toggles the background music on and off in this game, so is the most likely cause.

OP
S

super_gamer

Its all good now thanks guys, I've completed the game now, all gold cups achieved including the extra level.

OP
S

super_gamer

I have no idea, it seemed like as if there was a glitch in the 100cc mode, I could live with that as long as all other cups had sound, a no sound game is too much silence even with SFX.