What's new

Majora's Mask Mishap? (Game problem, perhaps emulator glitch?)

voyaging

Well I am playing Majora's Mask for the first time through on an emulator.

I just finished Snowhead Temple and collected all 15 fairies.

Upon leaving, I set out for the fairy fountain. I go inside expecting the DOUBLE MAGIC METER! but I get something like this:

"Hello courageous Link, I am the Snowhead Temple Fairy!"

"Thank you for restoring my broken scattered pieces!"

"As thanks, I will ease your weariness!"

WTF! I wanted the double magic meter, but she just heals me! So, is there any way to fix this? If not, are there any files I can edit/cheats I can use to give myself the double magic meter? Thanks in advance.

spotanjo3

Well I am playing Majora's Mask for the first time through on an emulator.

I just finished Snowhead Temple and collected all 15 fairies.

Upon leaving, I set out for the fairy fountain. I go inside expecting the DOUBLE MAGIC METER! but I get something like this:

"Hello courageous Link, I am the Snowhead Temple Fairy!"

"Thank you for restoring my broken scattered pieces!"

"As thanks, I will ease your weariness!"

WTF! I wanted the double magic meter, but she just heals me! So, is there any way to fix this? If not, are there any files I can edit/cheats I can use to give myself the double magic meter? Thanks in advance.

I don't know for I didn't have a chance to play it yet. Why don't you use the gamefaqs.com for it to tell you how to get the double magic meter just to make sure. :)

OP
V

voyaging

Well, to get the double magic meter, you have to get the 15 stray fairies in the Snowhead Temple, then return them to the Great Fairy near Snowhead. When returning the fairies to her, she just heals me, rather than giving me the double magic meter. I'm almost positive she should be giving it to me.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
That's rather odd. Were you Goron Link at the time? IIRC, you must be in your native form (Link) to get any of the upgrades from the Great Fairies. I had no problem getting the upgrades, or any of the items in MM using my copy (a Euro one at that, which had... other issues... twitch twitch). I'd say try it again, and this time present yourself as Link (if you were Goron) or Goron (if you were Link) and she SHOULD give you what you're after. Though... did you complete the temple BEFORE you went to see her? I think that was required (beat the temple and collect the fairies, then see the GF).

OP
V

voyaging

That's rather odd. Were you Goron Link at the time? IIRC, you must be in your native form (Link) to get any of the upgrades from the Great Fairies. I had no problem getting the upgrades, or any of the items in MM using my copy (a Euro one at that, which had... other issues... twitch twitch). I'd say try it again, and this time present yourself as Link (if you were Goron) or Goron (if you were Link) and she SHOULD give you what you're after. Though... did you complete the temple BEFORE you went to see her? I think that was required (beat the temple and collect the fairies, then see the GF).

I have tried as Hylian Link, Goron Link, Deku Link, and Link wearing the Great Fairy Mask. None worked. I collected all the fairies while completing the dungeon. Upon collecting the 15th and final fairy, I completed the dungeon. I went to the Great Fairy BEFORE playing the song of time. She still won't give it to me.

I'll try another version of the game and see if my save state works with it.

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Wait... did you say "Save State"? I worry that could be a portion of the problem. I didn't use a save state when I went questing mostly because I have seen the warning a billion times: "Don't use save states while playing, they are prone to corruption, and cause undesired problems with the games!". That... and I wanted to be able to import my native save from one PC to another without having to be worried it won't work.

You can try another copy of the game, I hope it works for you.

OP
V

voyaging

Fixed it!

Yes I use save states. Well they weren't working with the European version of the game (I normally use USA version), so I decided to save at an Owl statue and load with the European version. Well when I loaded, there was my double magic meter. But... I hadn't even delivered the fairies yet! Now I have my double magic meter working with the USA version.

Well, I guess what triggered the change was me traditionally saving and reloading the game. Not sure why.

Thanks so much for the help!

Tre

Oops. Died again.
No problem, though I don't know how it worked... just glad it did. (And I'm not sure I even really helped... but... okay. ^_^;; )

OP
V

voyaging

No problem, though I don't know how it worked... just glad it did. (And I'm not sure I even really helped... but... okay. ^_^;; )

You did help, because you said it works on European version. This gave me the idea to try using another version, and thus made me traditionally save my game, giving me the magic bar.

:D