What's new

Majora's Mask: Blackout Problem - Help!

prismperfect

Okay, so I'm playing The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask rom on the Project64 emulator. Everything is running great.

If you're familiar with the game at all, in the beginning you get to a part where you have to go to an observatory. So, I'm on my way there and I go up these rainbow colored stairs, and the screen goes black. I can still hear all the noises of the game, but there's no graphics. So far it's only happened in this section of the game. I've tried different versions of the rom, and they all seem to have the same effect. I've even tried backtracking in the game, and after about 20 seconds, it does it again.

Has anyone else had this problem and knows how I can fix it? I just started the game and I'm really into and I'd hate to stop now.

Please help! :plain:

OP
P

prismperfect

Forgive me for being a newbie of sorts, but I'm not sure what plug-ins I'm using. I do know that I'm using Project64 Version 1.4, and I've tried it on Version 1.5 and it does the same exact thing.

OP
P

prismperfect

I think I figured it out about the plug-ins:
Video: Jabo's Direct3D7 1.40
Audio: Jabo's DirectSound 1.40
Input: Jabo's DirectInput7 1.40

Do you suggest any others?

Adult_Link

Mission:Chase Gannon
are u sure, that the time isn't changing to the second or third day?

when the day's changing, the screen goes black too. wait 1 minute and the game should continue..

OP
P

prismperfect

Completely black though? I'm in a building, and there's torches around, the day/night change shouldn't affect it.

OP
P

prismperfect

Plus, the screen goes black, I press start and I can hear the menu popping up but there's nothing.

I tried what you said and it's still all black.

Pauncho

this is a known issue, i think it was on the second day at a certain time the screen would go black. you could fix this by just waiting for a while for it to fix itself, or if u know the song of time just go ahead 12 hours

OP
P

prismperfect

I dunno what happened...I just let it sit on that black screen..and it hung there for 3 or so minutes, and then said Dawn of the Second Day..maybe there's something wrong with the rom that it just sticks there for a second. Thanks for the help guys.

Mitch74

As far as I know, the N64 uses a specific effect, not emulated (see FAQ). So, as long as the effect is used, the screen is black. depending on where you are at the time, the effect is in action for a short time or a long time (if you used the Song of Double Time, it's twice as long). Just wait, it'll go away eventually.
I've encountered the same phenomena myself, the lenght of the effect can vary something incredible... It could come from the fact that without graphics, the game's timer goes in a 'sleep' state, waiting the next full refresh of the screen ('Dawn of 1st Day' being one) to start again. I'm no programmer, I dunno...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Mitch74 said:
As far as I know, the N64 uses a specific effect, not emulated (see FAQ). So, as long as the effect is used, the screen is black. depending on where you are at the time, the effect is in action for a short time or a long time (if you used the Song of Double Time, it's twice as long). Just wait, it'll go away eventually.
I've encountered the same phenomena myself, the lenght of the effect can vary something incredible... It could come from the fact that without graphics, the game's timer goes in a 'sleep' state, waiting the next full refresh of the screen ('Dawn of 1st Day' being one) to start again. I'm no programmer, I dunno...
Pretty good guess, I'd say.
How did you figure that out?

Last edited:

Mitch74

The fact that I'm no programmer doesn't mean I'm a dummy about how a software works... I don't program because the only languages I know are Turbo Pascal and VBA. But I know what a main loop is, for example...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Mitch74 said:
The fact that I'm no programmer doesn't mean I'm a dummy about how a software works... I don't program because the only languages I know are Turbo Pascal and VBA. But I know what a main loop is, for example...
Most people who don't program don't know this kind of stuff.
But see, if you know these, you are a kindof programmer.

Mitch74

Well, I'm not most people :)
However, I'm quite good at putting together a 'top-notch' machine from crap, because I got interested in what programming entailed.
I don't consider myself a programmer because I wouldn't know how to write a complicated program to save my life (the trickiest I've ever done was a TPascal soft able to browse through a directory and give an approximation of its size on a CD, when CD burners where 2X at most and FAT16 ruled on us all; even then, the self-recursive procedure I used then was my brother's idea).

Duron 950@1000mHz (7.5*133mHz) on KT266A, 256Mo@'266'mHz (CAS 2.5), nVidia TnT 16Mo (Sideband updated), o/c mem@125mHz - I wanna change my graphics card! It's the last remnant of my previous 3yo computer!

Last edited:

RJA

The PC Wiz
prismperfect and Smiff,

If the loading process stays on a black screen for a rather long time, I suggest you try counter factor 1 or "default setting" or
experiment with different counter factors.

The counter factor may be the culprit.

OtNife

A question for anyone who's played Z:MM on a genuine N64:

- What actually happens during the black-out period??!! -

i.e. could you describe the effect that occurs!

Just out of interest.....

OP
P

prismperfect

OtNife said:
A question for anyone who's played Z:MM on a genuine N64:

- What actually happens during the black-out period??!! -

i.e. could you describe the effect that occurs!

Just out of interest.....

Most likely, it's a smooth transition, maybe a couple of seconds. For some reason on the rom though, it hangs for a bit. I just wait it out every time..no problem. (It always does this on the Dawn of the Second Day..for me that is)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no the whole screen shrinks toward the centre in (3?) distinct jumps (day1->2?) and other transition is slightly different, i forget how now. i've pored over video captures of this lol.