What's new

LLE Video with 1.7

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
The original N64 switched the resolution in games.
For example it used another resolution ingame then in the menus.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
nope, wrong.

no matter what, it was still rendered at 320x240 interlaced, the native resolution of most tv's

thats why LoZ looks like crap on my big lg tv.
where as starting up my ps1, i think its 640x480 internal rendered which is why theres no interlacing.

im not reallt sure on how the N64 worked, not many people are, youd have to contact the big N dudes to find out.

OP
Waddi

Waddi

So if I want as accurate emulation as possible I need to run full screen at 320 x 240?

Chris

squall_leonhart

lol it wont even be accurate then :p coz PJ64 doesn't really do interlacing.

why the hell would you want to use such a low res anyway? why not just use 800x600?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
squall_leonhart, whoa
you've said several things completely wrong

most games *are* 320x240, but not all.
the n64 can switch resolution any time it likes, up to about 640x480 - though because of memory limitations few games ran in the max res.
TVs have no native resolution, they have a native number of lines (normally 480 or 576 visible for PAL, and fixed signal timing) but the horizontal res is mainly a question of quality as to how many pixels it can differentiate.
the n64 can also choose what filtering method to apply to any texture.

the filtering in the plugin is determined by the renderer portion, seperate issue from HLE/LLE, which this refers to the microcode emulation. so you can have HLE with a software renderer (we do in 1.7, incomplete) or LLE with hardware renderer (we also do in 1.7) but both have different issues.

yes running in 320x240 will generally be closest to real N64, but it won't help when there are issues with the HLE, and generally looks bad at that low res anyway (like an N64). i recommend 640x480 with FSAA. anytime you run a low res, FSAA helps lots.
320x240 is also not a good idea because you'll often *lose* detail, many games went high than this res.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

well as i said. i wasnt an expert, i just noticed that the originally n64 looked bad on my big tv.

and i forgot about the natiive res thing.. i remember once connecting my pc to the tv and i could run it all the way up to 1024x768. :p

also smiff, i think you requires the expansion pack to run at higher res, and that was only for certain games.

i also recently learned the features of the gamecube, and it can apply certain levels of anti aliasing.

OP
Waddi

Waddi

Thanks for all your posts and help. I think this thread has gone way off what it was originally intended to cover which was resolutions in 1.7 with LLE and yes i know, this is my fault.

Thanks for all your input and Smiff, I will be donating to 1.7 just as soon as my PC is out of storage.

All the best,

Chris

zilmar

Emulator Developer
I see if I can explain LLE a bit differently. You can think of the r4k as the main software, the RSP as a driver, and the RDP as the hardware.

With HLE we take what the software (r4k) passes to the driver (RSP) and then display what it is meant to show here. With lle the RSP is emulated allowing the software portion of the driver to be emulated and the hardware part still being done by the hardware. Where the driver is optimized for the n64 (how it generates commands for the hardware), we can optimze what we produce to be optimized for the PC hardware.

With LLE we are emulating more of the process, with HLE we are doing more simulating. Does that make sense ?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
:eek: lol zil, i don't think that helped

but this stuff *is* seriously confusing - i'll write something up once i've checked with jabo i have it right first.
basic point is.. LLE does not mean "suddenly looks like a real N64", there's way more to it than that.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
LLE video's worthless if it's as slow as RGB emulation!

Minus will be using a 2D video card from 1996! LOL! :crazy: :ranting:

Last edited:

Allnatural

Smiff said:
:eek: lol zil, i don't think that helped

but this stuff *is* seriously confusing - i'll write something up once i've checked with jabo i have it right first.
basic point is.. LLE does not mean "suddenly looks like a real N64", there's way more to it than that.
Years later I still have this bookmarked:

http://forums.ngemu.com/epsxe-archive/10672-partial-hle-gpu-hard-stuff.html#10

I didn't understand the difference between HLE and LLE until I read that.

OP
Waddi

Waddi

Thanks Zilmar and Allnatural. With Zilmar's explanation and Allnatural’s forum link, I think I’ve got it.

Chris.