What's new

LLE Graphics Plugin

tooie

The Khan Artist said:
AFAIK AltiVec is supposed to totally kick the butt off of MMX and SSE.

But if it is better then it useally means it is floating point .. since that is how the maths is .. but the RSP works in fixed point .. so it is useless for emulation if it is

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
tooie "better" doesn't have to mean it's floating point vs. fixed point.

It 'kicks the butt of SSE' - and SSE is also floating point.

Obviously it means it's more flexible, and results in more dramatic speed gains when used, compared to SSE.

Oh, and you CAN do fixed-point processing on an FP processor. You can even do the opposite, it's just a thoroughly insane pain in the ass.

Cyberman

Tooie I suggest going to IBM's site and read on it?

Try this for starters it's IBM's announcement of the PPC970.

The presentation page.

The actual presentation.

I might point out that it's a dual CPU core so it's actually two fast CPU's running in parallel with syncronization built in. As for hyperthreading etc, the jury is still out if it will be usable within the next 5 years for the common man. The biggest problem is it's highly compilor reliant. Unless I missed something from Intel (there site seems to be down at the moment YEESSH).

Cyb

Reznor007

Slougi said:
ROFLMAO

* Slougi falls of chair

I kinda doubt that :)

Well, an N64 dev who does alot of emulation work him self said only 1-1.5GHz, so 2GHz is fairly lenient do you think?

ShadowPrince

Reznor007 said:
Well, an N64 dev who does alot of emulation work him self said only 1-1.5GHz, so 2GHz is fairly lenient do you think?

Well,good luck to your "N64 dev who does alot of emulation"
with emulating N64 on 1Ghz machine.Lets see if he can back up his claims,or just to make another excuse for general slow performance in MAME. You shouldn't trust blindely to all things, that you hear.People sometimes makes mistakes,especially when they speaks about something, that they don't know about . Afaik,that particular MAME member up to this point not worked on emulation
of any 3d arcade,not to mention anything nearly as powerfull as N64 . He is really good theoretian,to assume speed of non existant "virtual" N64 driver . Same guy said that Viva Nonno and Satourne authors are cheaters .Earlier he said,that emulation of Namco and Saturn hardware with reasonable speeds not possible until 2005 or something ,they proved him wrong ,and because of this, they are cheaters using HLE,dynarec ,PC ports and what not (another good excuse) .
Good example of the guy,being too pessimistic,them switching to being too optimistic in regards of N64 emulation . :)
Moreover,according to some active MAME devs, every other arcade emulator,that run things faster than MAME do, is doing some "cheating" by default and should be flamed in one way or another (RAINE for example),better if it just dissapears . "Kill them all", "there will be only one in the end" attitude.
Reminds me Microsoft with their anti competition politics.

Reznor007

ShadowPrince said:
Well,good luck to your "N64 dev who does alot of emulation"
with emulating N64 on 1Ghz machine.Lets see if he can back up his claims,or just to make another excuse for general slow performance in MAME. You shouldn't trust blindely to all things, that you hear.People sometimes makes mistakes,especially when they speaks about something, that they don't know about . Afaik,that particular MAME member up to this point not worked on emulation
of any 3d arcade,not to mention anything nearly as powerfull as N64 . He is really good theoretian,to assume speed of non existant "virtual" N64 driver . Same guy said that Viva Nonno and Satourne authors are cheaters .Earlier he said,that emulation of Namco and Saturn hardware with reasonable speeds not possible until 2005 or something ,they proved him wrong ,and because of this, they are cheaters using HLE,dynarec ,PC ports and what not (another good excuse) .
Good example of the guy,being too pessimistic,them switching to being too optimistic in regards of N64 emulation . :)
Moreover,according to some active MAME devs, every other arcade emulator,that run things faster than MAME do, is doing some "cheating" by default and should be flamed in one way or another (RAINE for example),better if it just dissapears . "Kill them all", "there will be only one in the end" attitude.
Reminds me Microsoft with their anti competition politics.

Well, he did an early Sega STV(Saturn) emulator that got far enough to run 3d stuff, and Sega Model 1(no 3d due to a completely unknown CPU). He also did most of the Konami System GX driver, which is one of the most advanced 2d systems ever(along with STV and Taito F3).

Vivanono is not a true emulator, it is basically a port. He has not said anything about Satourne that I can remember. There is nothing wrong with dynarec either, that is being added to MAME, and used in Zinc, which is hosted on his website. Raine does use lots of hacks, whereas MAME does not. But AFAIK, there are no games left in Raine that are not supported in MAME far more accurately.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Reznor, wrt full LLE N64 emulation on 1.5GHz...

My P3 800 is more efficient than any P4... so a 1.5GHz P4 is probably around 50-60% faster than my CPU.

Now, on my P3 800 with a Radeon 9500 Pro, I still get slowdown in some games (Yoshi's Story NEVER sustains 60fps, framebuffer on or off).

And that's with probably around half the display lists skipped in favour of faster HLE code.

ector

Emulator Developer
to clear up any icarus confusion: icarus is mostly LLE, the big reason it is so slow, but graphics are emulated at a quite high level (not as high as N64 though since the dreamcast does transforms and projections on the CPU). Sound, which is not emulated yet, will probably contain HLE elements too.

Lowlevelemulating the incredibly complex PowerVR isn't really feasible. Well of course it is theoretically possible, but in practice, there's not nearly enough documentation, and it would be dog slow. Kinda the same situation as for N64, and the reason why we won't be seeing Naomi in MAME any time soon, even though icarus may start to emulate some Naomi games this year hopefully :)

oh and about the eventual release, it's up to CyRUS, when he feels the emulator is good enough. and I can assure you that many of you would be disappointed with its current state, despite the cool screenshots you may have seen.