What's new

Little graphics card poll

Does your graphic card support pixelshader? (Hint: Most GeForce 3 and above do)

• Yep

Votes: 66 57.9%
  • No way

Votes: 40 35.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters

ickle_moi

Monkey Ball Addict..
i belive _all_ MX cards do not support pixel shaders (that includes all GF4 mx models)
my card a GF 2 ultra does not either (as far as i know)

Last edited:

Talas

Son of the Sky
I just got my Geforce4 Ti 4200. The Screenshot looks nice. Do you have some more? Way cool, graphics on Emus start looking as good as some PC Titles from some years ago. :D

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Whobetta said:
Hehe thats why i bought a Radeon 9000 Pro for a budget card much better than Gf4mx series and has pixel/vertex shader support. I think its a good idea anyways cause most of the new cards will have ps/vs support now.

yeah but they are v1.4 shaders (dx8.1), not 2.0 (dx9).. this may or may not matter.. at least nVidia's new low end cards support dx9.. whatever you do with graphics cards you feel like an idiot in a month, don't worry ;)

I voted No cos i think too many "i'm leet, i have pixel shaders!" people are voting.

Last edited:

aprentice

Smiff said:
yeah but they are v1.4 shaders (dx8.1), not 2.0 (dx9).. this may or may not matter.. at least nVidia's new low end cards support dx9.. whatever you do with graphics cards you feel like an idiot in a month, don't worry ;)

I voted No cos i think too many "i'm leet, i have pixel shaders!" people are voting.

actually, you'd be suprised how many people have the latest cards, I should know, im the god father of the system information family ;P

http://www.darkengine.net/sysinfo/

Smiff

Emutalk Member
risking taking this OT, but aprentice what kind of people do you think are running your util?! probably the same people who like to vote yes in "i have pixel shaders" polls. also how about collating that info into something readable. anyway the bottom line is probably that sooner or later everyone will have pixel shaders, more a question of how long before e.g. 90% do.

Last edited:

Kahenraz

NeTo said:
I have been read the article here, but i got confused. From the article:

"Pixel Shaders enable programmers to add a variety of shading effects right at the pixel level. Per-pixel lighting, reflections and bump mapping are some of the popular effects made possible by pixel shaders. If this feature sounds familiar to current NVIDIA fans, it is because the GeForce2 included this functionality, through the NVIDIA Shading Rasterizer (NSR)."

I remember seeing nVidia having a little blip about this on their website at one point. I'm still confused as to why the GF2 Ultra then dosn't support it.

Also, I'd like to bring up again the possibility of a PPS wrapper. Is it possible?

NeoNight

Orkin said:
The advantage of pixel shaders would be that you could make a single combiner that works with all the new video cards, instead of writing several for different feature sets (like I am now).

Orkin

AHH ok I was wondering that for the longest... I don't know much about programming for emulation but I was wondering if it was possible to do just that.....looks like now it is.... inetersting :phone: :)

Raziel

meh ?
GeForce 2 only has Vertex Shader, it doesn't support Pixel Shader in any way, run 3D Mark 2k1, and you'll see that the Pixel Shader test is skipped on a GeForce 2 cause of a lack of hardware support.
Anyway, gotta love my new GeForce FX ^^

Snake785

Prepare for Descent.
Too bad my card doesn't support it, but I am upgrading soon ^^ (dont know how soon tho...)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ah, it seems most people do. That's a surprise...since we see so many with ati rage or crappy intel most.

NeoNight

hey Raziel how much did you pay for the geforce FX and was it really worth it? do you think its much better then the geforce 4?

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
My new All-in-Wonder 9700 supports Pixel Shaders quite well, kthx. :D

Does this mean there might be another release of Nemu at some point in the future?

Raziel

meh ?
NeoNight, I paid around 250€ (prices here in france are insane -_-), and yeah, I think it's worth it :)
Though, if you already had a GF4 I'd have told you to skip the FX, since you have a GF2, I think you can go for the FX 5600 Ultra (wait a bit to be sure to get revision 2.0, faster core/mem)

Lutomes

Grand High Emperor
Anyone know if a geforce4 420 go has a pixel shader? My guess is no, I would assume that the GO range is based off the MX range. But I have been supprised before.

Hyper19s

Banned
the nvidia geforce fx 5900ultra has damn good pixel
shading you should see some of my pc screens!!!!!

But will it even make a big deal in n64 emulation???
my guese is no you probaly wont see it a whole lot
anyway.

mabey sometime in the future with gamecube emulation????????

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I think I will wait for the next gen Nvidia or buy an ATI. Nvidia is having some serious issues with FSAA in some upcoming games (HL2 so far maybe others) and apparently they are not sure it can be fixed on the driver level!?!?! uh-oh

from the article linked above
The developers of the legendary Half-Life game said that drivers are not likely to solve the problem, however, it still can be solved for graphics cards based on VPUs from ATI Technologies, such as RADEON 9500-, 9600-, 9700- and 9800-series. As for NVIDIA GeForce and GeForce FX-series, there are practically no chances to find a workaround, according to Valve.

NeoNight

its been fixed... and am getting a gf fx 5200 128mb for $60 :) (may not be the latest 5900 but hell its better then a gf 2 gts 32 (not even 64) mb ill tell ya what.... now lets see some plugins for whatever with pixel shader support! yay! lol