What's new

linux64

Nasorean

so i am thinking of switching over to linux at home, the only problem is there are very few emulators out there for linux.

my solution: port them myself.

but a question arises: which ones should i port?

i was thinking of gens, pj64, or any other 64 emu which turns out to be really nice and fast. i would like to port popular emulators which are mostly complete so i do not have to do any major recompiling or updates. i just wanna have a good set of linux emulator.

i would like some feedback on which emu's to port so i can share my end results with the community (and my source code too!).

thanks for the feedback

ps-- be fore-warned this is not something i am promising to do but rather something which i would like to do, also if i begin this project i will be mostly silent.

also if anybody else releases a version of "insert emulator" for linux while i am working on it, i would like to share results with him/her and collaborate to create a better emu.

CanSee

Depressive freak
Project 64 is the most compatible (although the standard plugin is Direct3D, so how do you wanna port that to Linux ? But it supports other plugins as well, so an OpenGL or Glide plugin [which I'd be glad to see ported on Linux] would it be then.)

1964 is the 2nd best in my opinion, plus it's faster than Project64, has more issues though [nevertheless it's the only emu playing Resident Evil 2 so far :]

Anyways, do you think that emulating could be faster on Linux systems than on Win ? [if you'd make an emu that could be startable without X and all this Gnome libraries etc.]
How is that with games in general ? Would eg. a Linux instance of Quake3 run faster on my machine than it does on Windows ? Or would it not, cuz of the lack of DirectX ?

Damn am I curious ;D

OP
N

Nasorean

which emulator is best is the choice of the community, as is the plug in, but you bring up a good point about plug-ins.

===>> which would be best?

Kahenraz

I really don't understand the whole bit about coding emus, what it takes to port, and reusing old code, but I'd think that the best thing would be to take all the best parts of all the opensource emus and try to make an ultimate one.

I'm for 1964 though. Nemu still scores above in terms of netplay features and performance, but I feel that porting an emu without the full range of plugin support would be suicide.

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Perhaps instead of starting a new project, you should put your efforts into making Mupen64 better and faster. That way a truely great multi-platform N64 emulator could be a reality!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The only thing mupen really needs now is a little more speed. It's very compitable as you know, and a great emulator for linux.

CanSee

Depressive freak
Nasorean said:
which emulator is best is the choice of the community, as is the plug in, but you bring up a good point about plug-ins.

===>> which would be best?

Hmm, glNintendo rox ! Especially cuz it has framebuffer emulation and the textures look great also.

Jabo's plugins rule

Glide64 is very fast, even my machine can play lots of games at a good speed.

dunno for other ones

[don't use sound on my low-end machine, so dunno either :]

as input plug-in, I only us NRage. it's cool and easy to use

mesman00

What's that...?
Kahenraz said:
I really don't understand the whole bit about coding emus, what it takes to port, and reusing old code, but I'd think that the best thing would be to take all the best parts of all the opensource emus and try to make an ultimate one.

I'm for 1964 though. Nemu still scores above in terms of netplay features and performance, but I feel that porting an emu without the full range of plugin support would be suicide.

doesn't work like that...you can't just combine different parts of the code from different emu's to make an ULTIMATE EMU.

Slougi

I will make an emu called.... Frankenstein64

:devil:

That said, a Gens port would be truly superb. However, it uses directx for everything :(