What's new

linux problem (already)

mesman00

What's that...?
now this seems to be weird. before installing linux, i formatted my hd and reinstalled win2k. after that, i installed linux, and ran it, and everything was fine. however, when i went to boot back up in win2k, there were some problems. first of all, a file system checkin screen came up, and said something about drive d (linux partition), and then finall said drive d is not a FAT32 file system, would you like to exit file check. so i select yes, and windows continues to load, but slow. then, once inside windows, it takes long to load up, and everything goes really slow, until ultimately jamming up my computer. does anyone know why this is happening? before i installed linux i ran win2k and it worked fine. any help would be great.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
ok
When you installed Win2k did you already have your hard drive partitioned off into 3 parts: Win2k, Linux, Linux Swap? Did you let the linux installer do the partitioned for you?

If you did partitioning during the linux install Win2k would think you'd have a boot sector virus, or it may have allocated a sectian part of the hard disk for the swap, this would make it slow.

Hope that helps :)

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
i actually made my 3 partitions before installing linux, but this is my first time, so i prbably messed something up... can i delete my win2k partition, and re do it, or will that screw up everythign else?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
this is how I install linux:

Create
32mb Partiton (not formatted, For Linux) <-- Primary
6gb Partition (NTFS or Fat 32, For Windows) <-- Primary
8gb Partition (not formatted, For Linux) <-- Extended
1gb Partition (not formatted, For Linux) <-- Extended
14.8gb Partition (Fat32, shared between Linux/Windows) <-- Extended

Ok, now set the active partition to the 32mb one.
Install Linux with the 32mb partition as the /boot
the 8gb as the /
and the 1gb as Swap.

Now install everything.

Once thats all done and its loads the Boot-Manager make sure that the Windows (NTFS/FAT32 6gb Partition) is set to be able to boot.

Ok, not restart.

Put in a windows startup disk and open up fdisk.

Change the active partition to the Windows (NTFS/FAT32 6gb Partition) one.

Restart with your Win2k Disk in the cd drive, and install to the proper partition.

Once your Win2k install is all done pop back in your startup disk, fdisk again and change the boot partition back to the 32mb one.

Boot it and try it out, all should work fine sence windows is configured to see the LInux file systems and the already created Fat32/NTFS partitions.

Hope that works, and remember to set the Windows 2k and the 32mb partitions to Primary type of partitions, and the rest to Extended. I suggest getting Partition Magic to do this :)

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
oh and for people wondering why i'd want to set boot to its own partition its simple: so I can't be stupid and write over it.

Most distros that do partition configuaration load the boot partition to read-only on boot if you select a different partition. Helpful for new users and people like me who always find a way to kill Linux :p.

Also you only need a max of 20mb for a boot directory, i set it to 32 just incase.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
ok...a couple of things...so i can save to the fat32 partition from linux? correct? and one more thing, i should install linux before win2k, right malcom?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
1) Yes you can read/write to a FAT32 partition from linux
2) Not nessarily, but I have found that Windows acts better that way

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
that would be cool if you could make windows utilize the linux swap partition instead of having a big ass file making file fragmentation worse.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
i heard that you can make a FAT32 partition into a linux swap and not change the filesystem (keep it a FAT32) but I never tried it nor can I remember what the program was called.

Slougi

Malcolm said:
i heard that you can make a FAT32 partition into a linux swap and not change the filesystem (keep it a FAT32) but I never tried it nor can I remember what the program was called.
I don't think that would make an efficient linux swap parition.

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
uhh, partition magic won't let me resize my ntfs partition, and no it's not the demo version. it says after i hit apply need that i need to restarty my computer. so i do so, and then after i load back up into windows, no changes occured, does anyone know whis this is happening?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
fdisk is a partitioning program, there are utilities that have expanded on fdisk (like Partition Magic) that can move, resize and change the type( extended/primary) of partitions. And I like strawberry

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
ok, ive installed linux now, this is how i did it, i put windows2k on a 65 gig partition, linux on a 10 gig partition, and then the swap on a 196 mb partition, and no /boot partition because mandrake alrady had like a bootloader thing that asks me what partition i want to boot up. i still have to switch windows2k to a primary partition though