What's new

Legal, illegal stuff and some questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troublemaker

Some major sites involved in emulation have their rom vaults(lists of rom which they have and don`t have acording to goodtools) so don`t you tell me about legal stuff(I`m not speaking to moderators). When we talk about having roms and post our rom lists that is not illegal and if I have some games that I don`t own that is my problem with Nintendo, not yours!!!(don`t get me wrong, I`m talking to all people who thinks that posting of rom lists is illegal). If you wan`t your emulator to be perfect you got to have testers for that emulator and only way to find all bugs for all games is that as many people as possible try that games on that emulator and as we know, if more people have more roms the chance for finding all bugs is greater. Real example is arcade emulator MAME. On their site you can find all roms that MAME uses. Just when you download it you must confirm with one mouse click that you have that arcade game on your arcade machine(yeah right, like you have arcade machine:) )or if you download it you have to erase it in next 24 hours. And if you don`t erase it you do that on your own risk and that is your problem not theirs(they nicely told you that you MUST erase it in next 24 hours)! And now I`m going to tell you something about emution community here in Serbia. One time in about 4 months webmaster of best emu site you can find or some his best friends(only thing is that site is not in english so don`t ask...also you can`t find roms there) organises emu gathering. You bring your hard disk with you, and if you have something to offer you will get all the things you want to have(on the last gathering they had international guests). Also you can grab your chance and play Xbox or Dreamcast or kick someones ass in KOF. But in case of roms it all started with one man who downloaded them and then decided to give it freely to the people nearby and I must tell you that I fully support people who have rom sets because in some way they are spreading emulation culture and helping emulators to be better. And rom requests on forums aren`t forbiden because of having roms is illegal, it`s because people who write rom request`s are borring and if people on forum are having healthy conversation about their roms and rom sets(and aren`t breaking forum rules)I don`t see why anyone should stop them(this is for moderators).
And now tell me in which emulator I should run Taz Expess(in PJ64 the game is not supported) and what emulator should I use to play Resident Evil 2 and is there any emulator which runs Pockemon Snap ok(so I could save my pictures, that doesn`t work on PJ 64)???

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I have no idea what the hell you just said :plain:

Rom lists are NOT illegal. They are nothing more than a list, which may or may not be accurate, of personal ROMS which may or may not be legal.

The '24 hour rule' is a crock.

The only way a ROM is legal is if you dump it yourself.

Clements

Troublemaker said:
... and what emulator should I use to play Resident Evil 2 ...

Use either Jabo's Plugin + Unofficial RSP (If you want to see movies, but the video in-game isn't so good)

Or Unofficial Daedalus + Unofficial RSP (Movies missing, but in-game looks good)

scotty

The Great One
Troublemaker said:
Some major sites involved in emulation have their rom vaults(lists of rom which they have and don`t have acording to goodtools) so don`t you tell me about legal stuffwork on PJ 64)..........

I think this is stupid to ask, but like what was the point of that introduction to your question? I did not get it

ingonab

Troublemaker said:

Noone can dispute what you said because it's too bloody hard to make sense of it. If you want commentary on your views, ethics, legalities and moralities --why else would you post all that here, you should form more clear-cut statements of your opinions.

Paragraph breakings will improve legibility. :afro:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Spreading roms is illegal. Downloading roms is illegal (why? because you're sharing them!)
And rom talk isn't allowed because it's more like in they grey zone and they don't want it to be discussed. And rom requests or alike is against the rules because it's illegal!

'Nuff said.
The only way to have a "legal" rom is to dump it yourself, as nephalim said.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
*sits there and drools*

picsense.jpg

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Troublemaker said:
Real example is arcade emulator MAME. On their site you can find all roms that MAME uses.
No you can't. www.mame.net is the official MAME website, and it does not provide any roms or links to sites that offer roms, period.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Well, if roms are illegal, then everyone here is illegal... lol we are all illegal, I mean without roms then there will be no emulators and there will be no games to play. Can some one tell me, please, which emulation author doesn't have illegal roms...

by the way he is talking about a different "popular MAME site here" that allows you to download roms, telling you that you must have the rom to download or you have to delet it in 24 hours.

EDIT, everything is IMO, plzzz don't hate me :satisfied
I do agree we shouldn't talk about rom requests in the forums.

Last edited:

2fast4u

ra5555 said:

then i hope you agree to shut down this issue as well since this thread is pointless talk :doh: kthx

EDIT:

rom_beggars.jpg

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
ra5555 said:
Well, if roms are illegal, then everyone here is illegal... lol we are all illegal, I mean without roms then there will be no emulators and there will be no games to play. Can some one tell me, please, which emulation author doesn't have illegal roms...

by the way he is talking about a different "popular MAME site here" that allows you to download roms, telling you that you must have the rom to download or you have to delet it in 24 hours.

EDIT, everything is IMO, plzzz don't hate me :satisfied
Still illegal no matter what you say. The only legal ones are self-dumped. Period.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
ra5555 said:

Captain Obvious to the rescue.
He just called that "other popular MAME site", "their site", i.e he means that it's MAME's official homepage. Well, it isn't, hence me proving him wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.