What's new

Least resource-intensive audio plug-in?

Cavi Mike

I have a pretty old computer so the only way I can get a decent framerate w/Glide is with no sound. If I switch to Jabo's Direct3D6 video plug-in I can get a decent frame-rate plus sound w/Jabo's but video goes to hell on Goldeneye which is pretty much all I use this emu for.

*note* I'm using Project64 v1.3 because so far it's the only version that gives me a sky on Goldeneye. Not even beta 1.7 releases can do it.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Check the Plugins section on this forum, but don't expect to find something that performs up to par with Jabo's DirectSound plugin (on a old, but decent computer, at least). There aren't that many sound plugins to begin with, so your options aren't exactly plentiful.

How nice of you to pick GoldenEye, since that's one of the very few games that have far higher performance requirements than the rest of the N64 catalog.

Clements

I'd suggest trying Azimer's Audio Plugin 0.30 Rev 2.2 or 0.40 beta 2. These are HLE based, so have lower requirements compared to Jabo's DirectSound which is LLE.

OP
C

Cavi Mike

Don't get me wrong, I want to see it work but I'm not getting my hopes up. Though I did notice they have another beta release out but as I already said...

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Glide64 can certainly render the sky properly, to my knowledge anyway. You should really think about getting a better PC if you want speed and most graphical accuracy.

N64 emulation is not something you tackle with a legacy box like the one you seem to have, both speed-wise and graphics-wise.

Last edited:

Clements

Glide64 is the best option for Goldeneye 007 right now as it emulates both the sky and the sea in the Frigate level. However, you'd need to use the included wrapper which requires a decent video card, which your PC probably couldn't cope with.

You might want to consider using 1964 as it is a bit faster for Goldeneye on an older PC, and schibo's or Azimer's audio. Stick with the video plugin your using right now if you want, just copy it over.