What's new

Lame n00b Question

raincloudboy

Hey all.

I hope you will forgive the utter n00bosity of this question.

I have Ecco the Dolphin for the Dreamcst. I have Chankast. I have the dc_bios.bin and I have the dc_flash.bin. Sounds like I'm set for life, yes? It's all set up and dandy, then I open Chankast and I get the following:

chankastargh.jpg

With the icons all bouncin' around in a happy style.

Marvellous.

What the heck do I do next? Mouse clicks don't work, and no button on the keyboard seems to have any effect. Please, save me from my own completely n00bitude and tell me what I'm supposed to do here.

Thanks a lot.

KingVendrSnatch

無感覚
Are you trying to run the game from an Actual DC disc or an Image?

If its an actual disc then it wont work. CD and DVD drives dont read DC discs. Youll need an image of the disc. Dont ask how and where. Google, Yahoo...you get the picture.

If it is an Image, did you mount the image? If not then youve got to mount it. Use either Daemon tools or Alcohol.

I think your problem probably stems from one those 2 things.

KingVendrSnatch

無感覚
Do you have right drive selected?

options - > configure drive. If the right drive isnt selected then select the right one and restart Chankast.

If that's not it than Im gonna have to plead stupid.

Last edited:
OP
R

raincloudboy

Again, the drive is selected, it seems.

But surely something is working if I get so far as that screen with the bouncing icons. I just don't know how to activate any of those icons on there, if that's what they are.

KingVendrSnatch

無感覚
Those where all the ways I could think of to get it to load straight to the BIOS screen.

It seems that Chankast isnt noticing your Image at all. Even if it was a bad image or a non self booting image it would boot as a Music CD. If the dc_flash was bad it would boot and ask you for the time and date.

Maybe the BIOS is corrupt..I dont know if that would do it or not though.

OP
R

raincloudboy

Oh dear. I do not know what is going on now. I tried selecting the drive again just to make sure, and now what I see has changed. This is what I get now:

chankastaargh2.jpg

No advice, I suppose?

KingVendrSnatch

無感覚
That is usually because the image is not self booting or its a bad image.

If its not self booting you can either alter the image to make it self booting or use a bootdisk.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
By the looks of the funky colors in the BIOS screen, I'd say that his graphics card (or chip) is subpar and won't work properly with Chankast even if he would get some games working.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
If raincloudboy does not give us a complete description of his system (OS, video card, etc.) I don't think thay we will able to give him any kind of help or answer.

OP
R

raincloudboy

Righty ho, sorry for the lack of detail. It's Windows XP, Intel Pentium Processor 1.60 GHz, and my video card is Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family. Not that I have any idea what that means.

Anything else it would be useful to know?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The integrated Intel chip is indeed subpar, hence the weird BIOS screen colors and textures. Like I said earlier, even if you manage to get a game running, you'd very likely get lots of texture errors and missing graphics.

In short, Chankast doesn't really like integrated graphics chips of any kind, save ATI Mobilitys and GeForece ones perhaps.

Anyway, if you get the Audio CD screen in the BIOS, that means that the game isn't selfboot and you need a bootdisc (such as Utopia).