What's new

Kyona is watching over her...

how long did it take to make a picture of your dog watching over your server? i mean, its just scary... the redah'ness is running wild

Eagle

aka Alshain
Tri-Force said:
why doesn't that Doberman have her ears cropped? and she better not have a long tail.

I think they look better the way God made them.

Martin

Administrator
Tri-Force said:
why doesn't that Doberman have her ears cropped? and she better not have a long tail.

That's illegal in some countries (Sweden is one of them, I don't know about The Netherlands) which I think is good.

OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
BORN TO PLAY™

Yup, clipping the ears is illegal here. I could have taken her to Belgium when she was young but I think it looks better this way and she doesn't feel anything from it either.

Clipping the tail is, since this year, also illegal, which is quite stupid, because it is better for the dog to have it's tail clipped. The tails from Dobermanns, Boxers, Bouvies and such have always been their weak spots, and if you leave it on it is bond to break on a monthly basis.

So whatever happens (I will always have Dobermanns, they're my favorite breed) they will always get their tails clipped.

thine_impalor

Local spammer

The tails from Dobermanns, Boxers, Bouvies and such have always been their weak spots, and if you leave it on it is bond to break on a monthly basis.

I have a spaniel with a clipped tail.....as for ears, i'd NEVER clip her ears cuz ears r what makes a cocker spaniel look good:)

blizz

the sad thing is there's a reason behind clipping for some species, but some breeders just did it as a matter of course

i like the waggy little stubbs boxers used to have... they looked cool... wheras a larabdor looks better with the tail

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
the reason for getting the ears done i THINK has something to do with the shap of their ears and the way they hang covered like that creating problems with ear infection and what not.

OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
Tri-Force said:
the reason for getting the ears done i THINK has something to do with the shap of their ears and the way they hang covered like that creating problems with ear infection and what not.

Nope

As a matter of fact, when you want the ears 'up' on a dobey, they actually CUT and STITCH it in the right shape... because the regular shape would just look silly standing up. When they're hanging, it looks just like a labrador or what not. It hangs a bit back, unless they're focused, it goes a bit to front.

Tri-Force

Philosopher Warrior
oh i know that. i used to have Dobermans. Count and Alpha. and my father used to be a vet and breed them and he designed the ears himself. but what i was saying is the original purpose of cutting ears was because of infection casue by having the hang.

I found it now in the offical AKC book (American Kennel Club)

"ears are delicate areas. Ear trouble starts usually from an irritation of the lining inside of the ear. this can be casued by soap, water, ear mites, foreign objects (such as weed seeds), or, by an excess secretion of wax. some owners call this kind of irritation canker, or otorrhea. The affected animal will shake it's head, scratch, hold the affected ear down, show evidence of pain , and usually present an ear which smells offensive, with a pasty, dark-colored discharge. treatment of a well established case is difficult, and response is slow.
never wash the ears with water, alcohol, or peroxide. Unless used for a specific purpose by your veterinarian, they may further increase irritation.
Dogs with lop ears or hair-filled ear canals are predisposed to more ear troubles that those with erect ears. because beter circulation of air is possiable, open ears dry out better than do covered ears. In severe or chronic ear infections, a surgical procedure may be preformed which will open the ear canal and allow it to drain and dry. Some cases heal quickly following such hurgery. Professional advice should be sought if there is evidence of pain."

OP
Redah

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
BORN TO PLAY™

That's for dogs like bassets... which have really really long hanging ears... dobeys don't have that. Nor do bouvies or something like that. For dobeys, it's just cuz they were bred to become the ultimate guard dog. Which sorta works, since their 'intelligence' level is far above that of average dogs and they are loyal like shit.

Tesla-Guy

/me is angry.

Yesterday 2 dogs jumped into our house, bited 1 of our cats and killed it and scared the life out of the others

<=-=-=-=- Officialy marked Dog Hater :angry:

Last edited: