What's new

Kurt Cobain - 10 Anniversary

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
In other words... he didn't suicide, it was a complot, and Courtney Love had something with it IMO...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Big whoop.

Nirvana was blah.

A lot of groups (for example, Soundgarden) spent the rest of their careers trying to get the hell AWAY from the label Nirvana had pioneered for the style of their time.

2fast4u

nirvana wasnt that special really, not much wrong with the music but the craze is beyond me. but you know, everytime someone dies early he makes a legend.

h3h3

that's true
mainly kiddies listen to nirvana regularly nowadays(in the past it was a really good band though..grunge is still hot)and they stop doing so after a while and then there will be even more kiddies to be exited about the great kurt(but don't even know about the music)..

depressive drug taking persons are not interesting to me at all
i don't see where the "whole hype" comes from...

Damn good bvand, damn good musician, who could relate to a generation that nobody had done in the past, a lot of people lost their icon and the person that knew their pain... So I can understand their sadness. I just think its good to see someone recognised for their contribution to music, in retrospect nirvana music doesnt sound special, but at the time they killed (cheesy ass) hair metal :D:D:D:D:D

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Trotterwatch said:
He did a bloody good impression of it then!

God damnit i spat out my pepsi :D

The guy was a complete fucking tool, get hooked on drugs and shoot yourself. Says how weak he was right there.

Alchy

Nirvana sold more records and became more famous by Kurt being dead than they ever would if they were still going. They'd be cranking out crappy drug-addled albums every few years, which wouldn't be worth listening to, and then in 10-15 years time they'd do an embarassing "comeback" tour.

Don't get me wrong, Nirvana were alright, but what the fuck did they ever do to deserve the attention they got? The only reason they "killed" hair metal was because they displaced its popularity... not all rock/metal music in the 80's was hair/glam, the alternatives just weren't as popular. The very same masses who liked hair metal, had they been born 5-8 years later, would be the ones wearing "67-94" Cobain hoodies today.

khanmeister

Banned
FWIW, "those other bands" and yes, all the other grunge at the time that came out fits under that label (sound garden, pearl jam, mud dauber, butt plug, etc.) didn't sell near as many albums as Nirvana, long BEFORE he got whacked. And he definitely got whacked. The whole thing was super shady. His brother (step brother, nice guy) went to school with my cousin (fucking lame drunk slut), and he seemed naturally upset about it (though they weren't too close, age wise and otherwise), but definitely suspected foul play.

Drugs though, yeah, if you are on the heavy ones (H or meth) then you are likely to get whacked or die by yourself anyway.

I'm more interested in who killed Kennedy though, and whether Bush Sr. was on the grassy knoll that day or not. It IS known that he worked for the CIA, and that he was in Texas that day. Subsequently he was acting president (under the puppet Reagan) and then actual president, before installing his son GW through a faked election as puppet president under Cheney. Too bad Jefferson, and the other architects and didn't have contingencies for this in the Federalist Papers.

But Nirvana was only a so so band. They were much better than those other (comparatively) low selling grunge acts, however.

I look forward to the next "real rock" movement, after all these Limp Bizkit/Lincoln Park boy bands quit selling.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Ever notice how big fans of dead musicians always question their death? Elvis, tupac...

/me thinks the whole "mtv generation" thing sucks btw.

blizz

I really liked Nirvana when I was younger.

I still listen to Unplugged, but a lot of their earlier stuff just sounds like crap now.

Nirvana superseeded a lot of the other bands around that time with hype, they were a production of their time, and just like other bands of their time, some stuff has lasted and other stuff hasn't

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Listen, right, Kurt Cobain just did a more popular version of what others on the alt-rock scene had already been doing for a while.

Sub-Pop launched guys like Soundgarden as well and yet it was Nirvana who got the attention because of the sheer accessibility of their music. Granted, he was a hell of a performer and an intriguing personality, but JESUS... ICON? LEGEND? GENIOUS?!?! C'mon.

If Chris Cornell had died early he'd be the hero, if x or y else died they'd be the idols of the time.

Think about it: Pixies, Soungarden, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, Sonic Youth, R.A.T.M.... and you're saying NIRVANA were the best of the lot?

And it's a different scene, but if guys like Chuck D had passed away (P.E.), it'd be EXACTLY the same scenario. Only Cobain sung about heroin while Chuck sang about politics and relevance.

Don't make me laugh. Bleach was great, Nevermind okayish, the rest... hmm..

Last edited: