What's new

Kirby 64 and Random Crashes

justin023

Dominated Master Quest
First, I want to say that this emulator is notable because it is the ONLY one that does Kirby 64's status bar right.

Second, I wanted to complain about the random crashes. Most of the time it's pretty solid, but occasionally it crashes for no (apparent) reason. The crashes are totally random and can't be reproduced. What makes it crash one time might not be a problem the next time. Here is an example: I grabbed the crystal shard from the world 3 boss and it crashed the first time. But not the second time around. I have also had this happen once while changing rooms (but only the first time I tried it). Sometimes the sound will completely stop and the game will freeze when you die or finish the level. Good thing it remembers your progress after it crashes. You will probably have to play it for a while before anything goes wrong (until world 2 or 3).

Also, I am using Jabo's Direct3D 8 1.6 and DirectSound 1.6 plugins. They fix a lot of problems and work fine on the default settings. Why bother trying to develop new plugins when you could use already working ones and focus on writing the core?

Last edited:

ciruZ

Because both plugins you mentioned are not portable. Mupen's goal is to be an usable emulator for Linux and other Unices I guess :).

ciruZ

You could improve the avilable Unix Plugins ;).
Or ask the developers to switch from D3D to OpenGL and from DSound to something portable like SDL.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I don't know what you mean by superior but some other plugins are required for some games that have problems with jabo's plugins... Also, if there was no reason to develop a plugin if another better plugin exists, jabo would have never started his plugin and we would all be using zilmar's basic cfb plugin...