What's new

Keyboard was working fine, now only switches/changes/increments save states

It looks the same issue this guy had:
http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=2021

P64 was working fine this morning. I had to shut my laptop down to go back home and when I started up again, I was suddenly unable move around using WASD in GoldenEye. Trying to modify the controls (I'm using N-Rage's Direct-input8 V2 1.83), results in Keyboard: [number], no matter what button I press, except for Enter, Space, and the arrow keys. Interestingly, the number goes up by one each time; e.g., if I try to assign one key, it'll be 1, and the next will be 2 (again, regardless of what I press). The mouse works fine, but trying to play with a simple mouse is a mess.

Perhaps the most baffling and frustrating thing is that I've made no system adjustments, etc, over the past 24 hours that would affect this. I've restarted twice, but the problem remains.

Any way to make things work again? Natalya needs to be rescued from the train!

Edit: Just now, I typed random things into my AIM search bar out of boredom and it did the same thing--increasing number despite typing fjd;akfjd;as. The actual chat windows (and Firefox, etc) worked as normal. Strangely, I just went back to it and it worked as normal, too.

Edit 2: I tried playing Duke Nukem (the HRP edition) and found that the same thing happened with the keyboard--mouse works normally, keyboard keys go up in increments. I switched to DOSbox and couldn't even start DN3D because everything I typed in the shell turned out to be 1234567890, etc.

I installed Rollercoaster Tycoon this morning, but I'm fairly sure I went back to Project 64 with no problems (this is pre-shutdown). I just ran RCT and the keyboard works as normal.

I fixed it!
It turns out it's an issue with Constant Guard, a security suite. Apparently it's fairly common too:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Securi...d-Numeric-Keyboard-Problem/td-p/926185/page/2

Last edited: