What's new

Just got done turning my x800 Pro into a XT Platinum!

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
No problems what so ever to speak of. Heck only issue was adding a floppy to the system for a little bit, lol. :)

ATITool.jpg

ATI x800 Pro before MOD

3dMark2003_before.jpg

ATI x800 XT Platinum after MOD

3dMark2003_after_Gigabyte.jpg

-Shadow-

Banned
OMG ! Nearly 6000 3d marks Performance gain !? What redeon did you buy exactly ? I want the same :D

Last edited:

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
With that kinda increase I think something was wrong with your rig.

11583 is a good score though I must say. Could you put up a compare?

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Jigga0o7 said:
With that kinda increase I think something was wrong with your rig.

11583 is a good score though I must say. Could you put up a compare?

No problems with my box. I did the exact same test for both cards and the test when it was a Pro was right before I flashed it. So the results you see above are within ten minutes of each other. Also note, both of those tests are with Vsync enabled so I'm sure I can pull more out of it I bet. I also tested using Aquamark3D my testing before the flash was 45000 roughly and after it was well over 49000. Not bad at all. :)

I used an off the shelf ATI retail brand from CompUSA. Serial numbers 630429* and 630430* (printed on the outside of the box) are perfect for the flash. 630431* had been reported to work by many, but at least two peeps have said it did not work for them.

Mine is the 630430* which also has the 1.6ns RAM compared to the 2.0ns RAM. This allows some OC'ing as well if you want. I personally am running stock speeds as OC'ing stuff never has appealed to me.

Anyway, to my understanding, this card simply did not have the traces that handle the other 4 pipes laser cut, just disabled via software. ATI was hot and heavy to get more Pro cards out since they are in demand so they "downgraded" many XT Platinums like this and slapped a Pro sticker on it.

I can post the link of the guide I used later when I get to work. Gotta go get ready now though. Also Doom3 gained big time on FPS as well as other games.

Last edited:

-Shadow-

Banned
Rofl ! That comics are just uber-funny :D

@Lazertag : Your Graphics card is a "produced by ATI" one , directly from ati ?

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
BTW, here is the guide I used. Pretty much the same as other places I have seen it at now, but in HTML. Very user friendly process.

A couple things to note. The guide doesn't say to simply reboot and the go check at each stage of the flash update, but you can do so. For a newbie like me with this flashing stuff some "very intricate" instructions would have made me more comfortable. It all went well though not a snag.

Paddy007UK

LazerTag said:
BTW, here is the guide I used. Pretty much the same as other places I have seen it at now, but in HTML. Very user friendly process.

A couple things to note. The guide doesn't say to simply reboot and the go check at each stage of the flash update, but you can do so. For a newbie like me with this flashing stuff some "very intricate" instructions would have made me more comfortable. It all went well though not a snag.

My bad :p

ROYGBIV

Do you know of any guide that can help me to convert my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB) to a ATI Radeon 9800 XT ?

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Possibly, but you may need to look into it a little bit.

Here is a post from one of my clan members and what we found for his particular card.

Your milage may vary.

jareg

Just A Guy
LazerTag said:
Possibly, but you may need to look into it a little bit.

Here is a post from one of my clan members and what we found for his particular card.

Your milage may vary.

You need a account to see in the forum

ROYGBIV

I made an account and posted :). Not that hard to create account (don't see why people complain) and when you do create accounts for forums most people just use a SPAM email.

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
I'm having our main admin check that. I don't think it's supposed to require an account, but I could be wrong. He will check that.

Anyway, hope you find the info your looking for.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Cool, but warning, please don't get 3D Mark 2005, because if you do, it will make your video card look like old school trash!!!

I'm majorly disappointed with 3D Mark 2005 for it's no-3D-video card-like slowness even with the latest video hardware!!!

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
RJARRRPCGP said:
Cool, but warning, please don't get 3D Mark 2005, because if you do, it will make your video card look like old school trash!!!

I'm majorly disappointed with 3D Mark 2005 for it's no-3D-video card-like slowness even with the latest video hardware!!!

What do you mean? It doesn't run slow enough? Well not many things are gonna run slow on a 806/666 X800XT PE with 2.9ghz A64, I can say that much.

I only scored 5559 myself, and that was 560/613 on my X800 Pro... i'm satisfied with that.

Gorxon

Administrator
ROYGBIV said:
Do you know of any guide that can help me to convert my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB) to a ATI Radeon 9800 XT ?

Be aware that you will not gain that much of a differnce as it basically just means overclocking your card. First of all, you don't get the temperature sensor and thus not adaptive OC'ing feature. Second, the 9800 PRO and XT have same bus size (256-bit), and also same number of pipelines (8).

Be sure to check out charts that compare a softmodded 9800 PRO to a normal one, to see if it's worth the risk...