What's new

Just curious, anti-aliasing....

jessman1988

Banned
Hey, my gfx card won't do any special stuff at all, so I was just wondering if someone could post high res pictures of a game with anti-aliasing on, and with it off. I really wanna know what I big deal is. Thanks a bunch!

Clements

Anti-Aliasing removes the jagged edges of polygons and improves image quality. I play all my games using 4xAA.

Here's some shots of SM64- top without any AA, bottom with 8xS (4xOGMS plus 1x2OGSS) anti-aliasing. Notice the edges are cleaner. It's even more evident at 800x600 and 1024x768, but the screenies get too big.

OP
jessman1988

jessman1988

Banned
Thanks a bunch, Clements! I can always count on you for help1

But, aside from less jaggies, it doesn't really seem like I'm missing much. Oh well....

Thanks again!

Trotterwatch

Although your card is slow you can use Antialiasing still (should be ok for some emulated games). Heck I remember playing Corn with 4x AA on a P2 350 GF2 MX :)

dreamer

thanx for this topic as i was also wondering the same thing :) i got another question, what does anisotropic filtering mean? how is it different from the above ^ anti-aliasing?
my graphics has 8X anisotropic filtering (which i dont know what it means) and whats the difference between anti-aliasing 4X and anti-aliasing 4XS ?

Clements

dreamer said:
thanx for this topic as i was also wondering the same thing :) i got another question, what does anisotropic filtering mean? how is it different from the above ^ anti-aliasing?
my graphics has 8X anisotropic filtering (which i dont know what it means) and whats the difference between anti-aliasing 4X and anti-aliasing 4XS ?

Check out this page here:

http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce3/anisotropic.shtml

It's got diagrams and screenshots comparing different levels of anisotropic filtering (and explains it a lot better than I could!). You can probably see that it makes a pretty big difference, so I leave mine at 8x and there is a small performance decrease but much better IQ (Image Quality).

4xS Anti-aliasing uses some super-sampling, which has a fairly big speed hit but offers great IQ especially in older 3D games. But for new games, I use 4xAA + 8xAF instead to improve the overall quality with minimal performance degradation.

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Clements said:
But for new games, I use 4xAA + 8xAF instead to improve the overall quality with minimal performance degradation.

Says the one with a 3200+ CPU :happy:. I'll have to try those settings on my 1.1GHz computer and see if my performance degradation is only minimal.

Clements

My recommendation for you would be different since you have older hardware! He has a 2500+ comp, so is more on a par with mine. Any decent card that is capable of 8xAF can usually just use it without too much trouble as they tend to be the faster cards anyway. At least with nVidia, the lower end cards simply can't do a high level of AF.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
For the sake of comparison..

1 - 1024x768x32, no FSAA/Aniso.
2 - 800x600x32, 8xFSAA, 8xAniso
3 - Still running at an awesome framerate.. Jabo's d3d6 1.5.1, Jabo's audio 1.5.1. :) Don't think your GF2 could do this.. err, It doesn't even support 8xFSAA or Aniso.. anyway. ;)

-Shadow-

Banned
The first screen is with no AA , and the second is with 6X AA . I'm sorry but the Plug-in internal 8X AA doesn't work :( . But this one looks still great ^_^