What's new

Just bad performance.. or?

Muppski

Heiya

I'm reading about this emulator seams alot got it working fine and so but I can't get it to run smooth =/

Some pretty funny stuff happend when I tried to run Mario Party and I thought something must be wrong with the rom but i loaded it on Windows and the game works fine there... so does all games , they run smoothly.

I got avaible plugins that I could get through the Gentoo portage (that dosent neccerly mean I've tried all plugins).

But it seams the sound plugin is the issue...
I've tried
- Mupen Alsa2
- Mupen 64
- Uhle
- Jttl SDL

I've had better performance (making some games playable) using another sound plugin. Star fox lagged badly if I didnt switch to Jttl. But some places in the game all these plugins laggs and slows down my game.
Is really the sound the problem here? The graph glitches can be easily fixed by switcing between the different Video plugins but it dosent slow/speedup the game.

My system is : AMD 2000+ 768ram Geforce 6200 and the crappy Ac97 sound. Is there any more sound plugins there? and in worst case is there a null one?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Is it smooth for a second and hangs a little bit and then smooth again ? Or is it just too slow but always at the same speed ? I've fixed some problems on mupen64 0.5 that should be released soon but i'd like to check with the information you can give if it's the same problem

OP
M

Muppski

hmm...

I can't really tell (dont have to many games to test)
It does jumpy sometimes and sometimes it complete freezes and resumes after 1 to 3min <-- dosent happend alot but it does happen.

Some games seams to lagg at the same places everytime.

Starfox -> the map , when you select a planet it slows down ALOT

I'm sorry I can't be of more help , but Iĺl try to be in the future

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
The question didn't require a lot of test, let me reformulate this... Take a place that's too slow and that you think is a sound plugin problem. If you analyse 10s there, what do you think:
- is it smooth (and maybe even too fast) during half a second and then it hangs for half a second then smooth again during half a second....
- or is it just constantly slow ?

In the first case, it's only a synchronisation problem. If it's a performance problem the cause can be from different parts : usually core or graphic plugin.

OP
M

Muppski

Then again I never tried any different core plugins... (where to get them?)

Its constantly slow , but even if i switched between these graph plugins it always lagged at the same places

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
You should also check you're using 0.4 and you have choosen dynamic recompiler in the options.