What's new

ive got a problem.

apfdaman

whenever i boot The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of time on the dophin emulator, it just comes up with the nintendo symbol and says this game only supports 60hz mode.

my monitor is capable of 85hz. but im sure if you put this in a tv with only 50 hz the same error would be displayed.

i set my monitor to 60hz (it is a crt) but it still came up with the error.

any ideas on a fix? i tried fiddling around with graphics plugin options, but no luck.

Lightning

Emulator Developer
The game itself has no way of knowing what Hz your monitor is running at. It only knows what Dolphin tells it (running on 50hz or 60hz). The value Dolphin specifies is based on what it believes the game is (US game or European game). It sounds like the game is tagged as being European but the game is truely a US game. As a result I am unsure how you would fix it as I do not know of any options to force one or the other to be reported.

OP
A

apfdaman

any idea if support will be added for this in the future? this will effect many games that require a tv at 60hz.

Lightning

Emulator Developer
In reality, a proper copy of a game should work fine as the gamecube cd indicates if it is NTSC or PAL mode. Dolphin is simply taking what the image is set to and reports as being a gamecube able to play that mode. Now, if the image is set to the wrong mode and the game wants the other, you have a problem. It sounds like your image is bad as it is mixing the modes.

Mouser X

On top of that, why are you trying to play a N64 game (Zelda5: OoT) on Dolphin? It emulates much better on a N64 emulator. Do some searching, and I garantee you can find any version of OoT you want, including the versions that were released on the Gamecube. I have the Master Quest in ROM form, and it plays in Project 64. Even if you do get this running in Dolphin, you won't get it at playable speeds. It'll go about 10-15 fps at most, I'd guess.

So, good luck finding the N64 ROM, as that is far more playable on a N64 emulator, than a N64 emulator on a Gamecube emulator is. Mouser X over and out.

OP
A

apfdaman

i am using a .gcm file. it is The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of time + Master Quest .GCM file, and it is 1.4gig like all usual gamecube ROMS, wether it be iso, gcm, ect.

i will try it with nemu64 tho. project64 keeps saying i dont have a contorller plugged in...

what about when i need to use button like x and y that arent on the n64 controller?

Mouser X

You very much did not understand me. I meant what I said. The ROM is already ripped out of the GCM. There's no need, AT ALL, to play a N64 game on Dolphin. And, Dolphin doesn't use ROMs. It uses CD images (specifically, like unto a DVD image). This is why I said ROM and not CD image. You can't run a GCM in a N64 emulator. A GCM is a Gamecube image. What you want is contained WITHIN that GC image. Get a program that can read GCM (like GCM Explorer, or something), and you can probably find the N64 image inside it.

So, again, please DO NOT call GC images ROMs, because THEY'RE NOT. And now do you see where confusion comes in? Hopefully you can get the N64 ROMs out of the GC image. If not, do some searching, like I said, and get them that way. They're easy to find (at least, they were for me). Mouser X over and out.

Toasty

Sony battery
So, you have extracted the N64 ROMs, or acquired them by other means, and are now using PJ64 or another N64 emulator (not Dolphin) and you still receive an error message saying the game only supports a refresh rate of 60Hz?

OP
A

apfdaman

no, this is a .gcm file, 1.4gig, and when i emulate it, it has the nintendo symbol on the screen and says this game only works on 60hz mode. it is an in-game error. not an error message. like if you try to play a game that required a 60hz tv on a 50hz tv it would come up with the same error on the 50hz tv screen. except its coming up on my computer. i am using dolphin to try to emulate this .gcm file.

Toasty

Sony battery
What we're trying to explain to you is that that game was not originally written for Gamecube. It only runs on the Gamecube through emulation, and so if you try to play it on a Gamecube emulator, you have two layers of emulation, with one of them being particularly slow and buggy (Dolphin). We are suggesting that you play the game on the console (or at least an emulator of the console) that it was designed to be played on - the N64. Extract the N64 ROM from your ISO, or acquire it some other way and play it on an N64 emulator. You will not get accurate (or perhaps any) emulation of that game on Dolphin right now.