What's new

Iso File Size

Rocketman_mab

I've been searching through Direct Connect and I noticed a ton of Cd-rom Iso's that are like 800+ MB. How is this possible? If a cd can only hold around 700MB, then why the difference? I'm confused.???

Mirco Muck

Some CD's are burned in Mode 2. There is then less Error Correction but more space available. But you shouldn't burn data on Mode 2, only (S)VCD Video an other data witch doesn't need that much EC.

RPGlover12

I think that if u burn the iso into the cd rom it will work even if its bigger than teh space of the cd rom :) i tried it once and it worked i dont remember the program i did that with but oh well anybody would refresh my memory will be thankfull ;)

iq_132

Banned
I think that when you get an Iso, it keeps the built in error correction of the Cd, and takes on some from the hard drive, and a few other things that i don't remember...

Eagle

aka Alshain
Pauncho said:
once the iso is decompressed it becomes smaller, so its able to fit on cd's

What?!?! No, compression either leaves the file the same size or makes it smaller. If compression made it bigger, nobody would be stupid enough to use it.

Josep

eyerun4phun
yup dc games and svcds are usually around 800 megs, depending on the movie and game of course;) and they of course work as other people have stated;) main point is, just burn it, it'll be fine if its an iso;)

iq_132

Banned
DC games should actually be bigger than 800 meg. If they aren't rips :)... but you are essentially correct. They are ripped when released to about 800 meg or so.

Mirco Muck

Yeah, I currently working on ECC and such stuff. This is the reason i know more than "normal" users of burners. If there are any Questions regarding this theme, just ask (PM or E-Mail)