What's new

Is this guy for real?

minkster

Ok, so it ends up that my family got a new desktop today. Its an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ with 512MB RAM, 200GB hardrive, and some other cool nifty features. Well, this one guy who worked at Bestbuy was trying to get us to buy this thing called Webroot Spy Sweeper and PC-Cillin (Trend Micro Anti-virus) on two cd's. I then said well we wouldn't need the spyware sweeper since I use Spybot S&D and Adaware. Then the guy was all like yeah those programs are good but what you don't know is that they add their own trojan and spyware into their own software that detects things like identity theft. Well, my mom fell for it and bought the software...I think it was a wrong choice. The guy was obviously bullshitting right? Well the software from the CD is already installed on my computer...I'm thinking of keeping the antivirus program for now until it expires, but should I plan on downloading the free software like Adaware,Spybot, and Avast antivirus (once the current antivirus program expires)?
Well Thanks for hearing me out-minkster

Trotterwatch

Yeah download the free stuff once it expires, the salesman was a bullshitting eijit. Feel free to go back down to the shop and give him a slap :)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
If he insists that Spybot S&D and Adaware contain spyware and trojans, then you can bitch at him cause the software he gave you doesn't find any spyware or trojans on Spybot S&D and Adaware. (He said that Spybot S&D and Adaware contain spyware and trojans, right?) ;)

OP
minkster

minkster

@Trotterwatch: I'll give him a good smack just for you...the guy was also new there too so it will make the moment even better :happy:

@PsyMan: Yeah I thought was he was saying was pretty much pointless...my avast antivirus never picked up a virus when using spybot or any other free software.

Besides that, my system runs great:icecream: It is definately a difference from my crappy 400mhz Pentium 3 desktop I got back in 1999. I did get a graphics card called Radeon Xpress 200 (I think its onboard) that came with the system. How is this card anyways? And would I be able to replace it even if it was onboard?

rcgamer

the old guy
though this has never happened to me,spybot s&d will sometimes show up on other adware removing programs because it keeps backups in its own folder(see s&d homepage for me details.). it doesnt really have any. The guy is just full of crap. PCcillin is good but so is AVG free edition. Why spend money when you can get programs that do the same thing for free(legally free that is).

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
One thing i've learned about PC shops, they will say anything to get you to buy their crap, actually a lot of non pc shop staff do that too.

rcgamer

the old guy
as for your graphic card. regardless of wether or not its onboard you can upgrade as long as you have a free pciexpress or agp slot. And i havent checked but im sure its not going to be a very good graphics card\chip, especially if its onboard. get yourself either an x800gto or 6600or6800 nvidia card you can get them fairly cheap now(150-200).

and i would never buy a pc from best buy. They have so many hidden charges and BS its ridiculous. about 3 years ago i went there because i saw an ad in their circular for a emachines(complete system it said) with an amd 1800+ for about 500. so i go and ask about it and they start telling me that you have to buy this and that and that the real price would be around 1200. I went to walmart and bought (pretty much) the same computer for 750.

noe i just build my own for even less than that.

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
I have this one computer store that I go to... they have everything I want/need at a very low price. I would never go to futureshop(I'm canadian), bestbuy, or any other crappy store like that for computer needs.

Prices at those big stores don't even compare to the great prices in a good computer store (some comp stores rip you off...). The store I go to is about 45 minutes away (all in this city have really high prices so it's worth the little trip out of the way).

Anyways, the guy was being an ass. I would take the software back, and DEMAND a refund. The person lied to you. There are laws against that sort of thing... and if you make a huge deal about it in a big store, they WILL refund your money... they won't want to make a scene.

Like this one time I was in a Boston Pizza restauraunt and there was a bug on my pizza... they gave me a new one and I told them, if they didn't give it to me for free, I would be talking really loud about how there was a bug in my food. Sooo needless to say, they took it off of the bill. Stores will do that sort of thing for you aswell (as long as you are at least partially in the right).

OP
minkster

minkster

Hmm..you do have a good point Chibi Nick, I may look into refunding them then...the price of the antivirus and spyware remover was an extra $118 bucks out of my parents wallet :(

Also about computer stores, what is a good place that sells computers for reasonable prices? I don't mean just computer parts...because I would hassle over trying to build one myself :p

revl8er

That Damn Good
Like this one time I was in a Boston Pizza restauraunt and there was a bug on my pizza... they gave me a new one and I told them, if they didn't give it to me for free, I would be talking really loud about how there was a bug in my food. Sooo needless to say, they took it off of the bill. Stores will do that sort of thing for you aswell (as long as you are at least partially in the right).

They probably spit on your pizza, you should know better than to make a scene in a restaurant, lol.

You really can't blame the guy for trying to sell you the software any way he could. You should have convinced your mom that it wasn't needed though. You really do need to demand a refund in the store, even though I doubt they will refund u.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
While you probably shouldn't have bought PC-Chillin or whatever it's called, I can tell you first hand that Webroot Spysweeper is a GODLY spyware remover. We use it at my office all the time to get the worst of the internet infestations out of systems. It takes forever to load at windows startup though.

GCFreak

That salesman sounds like bullshit, Not only slap him, but kick him square in the balls for us?

Yeah, just take the stuff back and demand a refund.

Last edited:

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Yeah, never demand for more food, always ask for a gift certificate. (Or better yet, if it's a chain, mail the corporate H.Q.)

More on topic, the Radeon Xpress 200 is a pretty good card considering it's onboard.

OP
minkster

minkster

Yeah, I am pissed off I got PCcillin...next time I get a new computer I'll learn from past experiences. Besides that though, the computer really works great..its the first time I ever used an Athlon 64 (or any other processor besides Pentiums :p) I have to say I'm quite impressed with it, and I tried out some N64 games, and I can actually use 4xAA without any slowdowns! (Yes, I know that sounds pretty sad, but all the computers I've had, had really low end graphics cards :p)