What's new

Is there a way to make Capcom fighter's less pixelated?

Davv11

The ground looks great and all but the charcter looks really pixelated. I've tried messing with vid cards settings like AA&AF. I think it looked a bit better but not by much.

Also if I'm in full screen mode how I get back out of the full srceen I want to acess the menu to window it but I can't get to it? The only to exit the game for me is to do ctrl+alt+delete and manually shut it down that way. I no there's a easier way to do it but I forgot what the command is.

Branz_mf

The ground looks great and all but the charcter looks really pixelated. I've tried messing with vid cards settings like AA&AF. I think it looked a bit better but not by much.

You can also try ZWrite, AlphaTEst ZWrite.
But I can't assure you anything.

Also if I'm in full screen mode how I get back out of the full srceen I want to acess the menu to window it but I can't get to it? The only to exit the game for me is to do ctrl+alt+delete and manually shut it down that way. I no there's a easier way to do it but I forgot what the command is.

Alt+ENTER to enter full screen/windowed.
Alt+O+arrow keys to acess menu while in full screen mode.
Alt+F4 to exit.

Last edited:

audiohominis

At this point, I don’t know of a way to make Capcom fighter sprites less pixelated in full screen. The sprites from such games as the Street Fighter III, Street Fighter Zero/Alpha, Jojo series, as well as the Darkstalkers/Vampire and Marvel VS Capcom 1 sprites that were reused in Marvel VS Capcom 2, came from the CPS II and CPS III arcade machines, which had a resolution of 384X224. The Capcom VS SNK sprites have a resolution of 320X240. This was sufficient for old TV screens with "brick-stack" phosphor array, which is what most arcade cabinets running Capcom 2D fighters have, but it's definately not enough for your computer's monitor, with the lowest mode of 640X480. This issue is basically what drove the development of video filters and enhancers (a.i. scanlines, scalers) for emulators of old videogame systems. The 3D Backgrounds in CVS2 and MVS 2 will obviously look fine, since they are resolution-independent vector polygons. The sprites, on the other hand, are tiny fixed-resolution pixel-pushed art, so they will get ugly and pixelated once resized (especially if their aspect ratio is changed). Right now, the only 2D fighter with a resolution high enough to perfectly fill the computer screen (without the involvement of video filters) is Guilty Gear X.
As for the Capcom fighters, unless, you manually size the window to the native resolution of sprites' games of origin, which is quite difficult, (I tried), or write a Chankast video plug-in that would allow setting custom resolution, your stuck with ugly sprites. Of course, there's always mildew’s method :) . He once recommended using it with JNES, (I think) and after that, nothing else seems good anymore! Ah the stockings… Is there anything they can't do? I mean: they make women more attractive, armed robbers less identifiable, and Capcom sprites less pixelated; what more could you ask for? Is my writing getting needlessly lengthy and lame? Well, of course it does! Look at the time this reply was posted at; it’s almost morning and I'm sleepless and I can't think straigh~~~Zzzzzz, zzzzz, zzzzz.

P.S. does anyone here know if there really is a Chankast video plug-in that allows setting custom resolution? I really need it for clean sprite ripping.
Thanx

Sh4rke

Play on a hooked up TV

Just hook a TV to your vid card and play on your TV , as it was ment to be , POOF gone pixelation :saint:

sjawz32888

audiohominis said:
At this point, I don’t know of a way to make Capcom fighter sprites less pixelated in full screen. The sprites from such games as the Street Fighter III, Street Fighter Zero/Alpha, Jojo series, as well as the Darkstalkers/Vampire and Marvel VS Capcom 1 sprites that were reused in Marvel VS Capcom 2, came from the CPS II and CPS III arcade machines, which had a resolution of 384X224. The Capcom VS SNK sprites have a resolution of 320X240. This was sufficient for old TV screens with "brick-stack" phosphor array, which is what most arcade cabinets running Capcom 2D fighters have, but it's definately not enough for your computer's monitor, with the lowest mode of 640X480. This issue is basically what drove the development of video filters and enhancers (a.i. scanlines, scalers) for emulators of old videogame systems. The 3D Backgrounds in CVS2 and MVS 2 will obviously look fine, since they are resolution-independent vector polygons. The sprites, on the other hand, are tiny fixed-resolution pixel-pushed art, so they will get ugly and pixelated once resized (especially if their aspect ratio is changed). Right now, the only 2D fighter with a resolution high enough to perfectly fill the computer screen (without the involvement of video filters) is Guilty Gear X.
As for the Capcom fighters, unless, you manually size the window to the native resolution of sprites' games of origin, which is quite difficult, (I tried), or write a Chankast video plug-in that would allow setting custom resolution, your stuck with ugly sprites. Of course, there's always mildew’s method :) . He once recommended using it with JNES, (I think) and after that, nothing else seems good anymore! Ah the stockings… Is there anything they can't do? I mean: they make women more attractive, armed robbers less identifiable, and Capcom sprites less pixelated; what more could you ask for? Is my writing getting needlessly lengthy and lame? Well, of course it does! Look at the time this reply was posted at; it’s almost morning and I'm sleepless and I can't think straigh~~~Zzzzzz, zzzzz, zzzzz.

P.S. does anyone here know if there really is a Chankast video plug-in that allows setting custom resolution? I really need it for clean sprite ripping.
Thanx

Isn't there a way to rip the sprite from the game and just shrink it in size (Causing it to be less pixelated)?

ray16

The Grand Potatomaster
sjawz32888 said:
Isn't there a way to rip the sprite from the game and just shrink it in size (Causing it to be less pixelated)?

Even if you could rip the sprite out of the game you'd want to make it bigger (which would just make it a blurry mess, unless you completely recreated it), not smaller.

Smaller = more stretching = uglier