What's new

Is it possible the lock your framerate higher than 60fps in PJ64?

xystus

I was playing Waverace64 in :pj64: and I noticed the game wasn't always very fluidly. I checked the framerate, but it was an almost steady 60fps..
I turned of the frame-limiter and the game was going too fast (between 90 and 130 frames, no steady rate ofcourse). But I díd like the game, moving a bit faster !

The standard framelock is 60, because the TV is also 60hz (60hz means your monitor or TV shows up to 60 frames per second, no more). Is it possible to lock the framerate at, let say, 85hz? My monitor supprts up to 120fps at a resolution on 1024x768x32, so the hardware ain't no limitation.

thanks in advance peoplez!

RPGlover12

well u can't make it run with the same fps all the time thought so it wills urely go down and tell us ur specs though :)
and turn on ur frame limiter and u will notice its 60 or 55 and stuff like that but it wont make much trouble :p

OP
X

xystus

RPGlover12 said:
well u can't make it run with the same fps all the time thought so it wills urely go down and tell us ur specs though :)
and turn on ur frame limiter and u will notice its 60 or 55 and stuff like that but it wont make much trouble :p

-CONFIG:
MSI K7t turbo mobo
athlon 1333mhz
Asus geforce III deluxe
512mb SDram
SBlive! player 5.1

-that's my whole point. When I turn on the frame limiter, it will lock a 60hz = 60fps. I want to lock the games at 85hz = 85fps. Is THÁT possible ???

Smiff

Emutalk Member
er you seem to be very confused. the refresh rate of your monitor (measured in Hz), the internal speed of Project64 (measured in VI/s) and the framerate of the video plugin/video card (measured in FPS) are all different things, and at any time, are all running at different rates. No you can't choose a different speed for Project64, this is intentional, you need to learn more about emulators and PCs to understand this.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
further, an NTSC TV - 60Hz, its running at 60 fields per second, which is 30 whole frames per second (a field is half a frame), most N64 games run at 30 FPS (range 18-60FPS). on a PC (progressive scan btw) your framerate is not locked to your refresh rate (or a fraction of it) unless Vsync is used..

this is kind of a big subject, PJ64 does not provide a way to choose your own speed, although it would be possible, but we wouldn't be so keen to release such an emu, you could compile it yourself with any number chosen (i think), but youll mess up the sound for a start.

OP
X

xystus

Smiff said:
er you seem to be very confused. the refresh rate of your monitor (measured in Hz), the internal speed of Project64 (measured in VI/s) and the framerate of the video plugin/video card (measured in FPS) are all different things, and at any time, are all running at different rates. No you can't choose a different speed for Project64, this is intentional, you need to learn more about emulators and PCs to understand this.

:plain2: I'm sorry mr. Smiff, but my question reallty isn't that 'stupid'

The number of frames per second you get to see on your monitor and/or TV, is limited by the amount of HZ of that same monitor/TV. Your geforce produces 120 fps, but because your monitor has a 60hz refreshrate, you won't be able to SEE more than 60fps. That's the VSYNC.

So what I was asking; is there's an option to change the frame limiter in PJ64 from 60 to 85. The framelimiter has the same principle as a Vsync; it limits the amount of frames. The Vsync of my videocard does not overrule the frame limiter of PJ64. Vsync = 85hz, but PJ64 still produces 120fps with frame limiter off.

OP
X

xystus

Smiff said:
further, an NTSC TV - 60Hz, its running at 60 fields per second, which is 30 whole frames per second (a field is half a frame), most N64 games run at 30 FPS (range 18-60FPS). on a PC (progressive scan btw) your framerate is not locked to your refresh rate (or a fraction of it) unless Vsync is used..

this is kind of a big subject, PJ64 does not provide a way to choose your own speed, although it would be possible, but we wouldn't be so keen to release such an emu, you could compile it yourself with any number chosen (i think), but youll mess up the sound for a start.

1. okay, I didn't know about the fields in comparison to a frame :blush:

2. about the sound; it would be faster if the game was played at a higher framerate-level. that's not a problem.. I don't care if the sound is somewhat faster; just as much faster as the graphics [it's very lineair really] ! Would thát be impossible?

too bad???

Last edited:

heldersouza

You can do the following:
1) Turn off the speed limiter;
2) Set your monitor refresh rate at 85Hz
3) Select the VSync option at your video card drivers.

That's it.

ILR

If your using Japanese verson of game that's why. USA verson of WR 64 is one of the few games emulated perfectly.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
heldersouza said:
You can do the following:
1) Turn off the speed limiter;
2) Set your monitor refresh rate at 85Hz
3) Select the VSync option at your video card drivers.

That's it.
It has never worked for me :plain:

LD.

*poke*
Doesn't 1964 let you choose your own frame rate? Even though it's pointless and stupid to do it, because some sounds will be missing and it will be skipping constantly (sound will still try to run at 50/60, because that's what the N64 is meant to do).

But hey, your choice :)

OP
X

xystus

Slougi said:
Originally posted by xystus
:plain2: I'm sorry mr. Smiff, but my question reallty isn't that 'stupid
Actually it is.

f*k you for your WORTHLESS input :angry:

THX eneryone else for the infow :) The Vsync story didn't work though, but it was worth questioning.