What's new

Is gaming really this boring?

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Right now, I must say it's not a lot of fun being a gamer. Sure, you've got one or two killer games released every month or so, but that's about it. I rember getting my PS when they first came out, and being wow'd by the awesomeness of the games - forget one or two a month, you'd have 5+ killer games out in a matter of weeks.

What I'm trying to point out is that I just don't think gaming is that much fun anymore. The industry has certainly taken a turn for the worse with the introduction of the Next Next Next Gen consoles, and I just dread to think of what is around the corner.

I don't mean to whinge on and on, just wondered if I was alone in feeling that the games industry is grinding to a hault, or if people feel differently?

IMO, the death of the Dreamcast was one of the causes for this downfall, as I felt that Sega's (last) little box 'o tricks was finally injecting some much-needed originallity into the world of gaming. Now all we have to look forward to is the latest installment of Fifa, or the like.

Anyway, discuss! :satisfied

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
i think the problem is coming from hardware capabilities... The hardware allow very realistic and impressive environnemnts, that's great but... It also means more developpement time, more money to make a single game. So you have less games per year. Because of the money needed to make a game, there's less game company and they don't want to risk anything on the only big game they are releasing in a year, so they do a classical game, they almost know how many copies they will sell and they make the budget according to this estimation...

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Donno about you, I feel that the quality of games have improved considerably during the past few years, just look at the graphics and amount of work that has been put into making these games. IMO, the game interface and the fun factor have improved many folds (just take GTA 3 for example). Production costs of many millions of dollars for a game are not uncommon. In addition, last year the total revenue of the gaming industry exceeded that of the Hollywood.

So, no, I don't think the new games are getting boring, nor do I think there will be a slowing down of the gaming industry.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Hacktarux said:
i think the problem is coming from hardware capabilities... The hardware allow very realistic and impressive environnemnts, that's great but... It also means more developpement time, more money to make a single game. So you have less games per year. Because of the money needed to make a game, there's less game company and they don't want to risk anything on the only big game they are releasing in a year, so they do a classical game, they almost know how many copies they will sell and they make the budget according to this estimation...

This is true; most companies just don't want to risk an original idea because of the fear of awful sales.

That's why the biggest companies in the industry, and the most famous names, are actually trying new things (SEGA, Nintendo). And what do they get for shifting things around? A massive backlash. Small wonder people complain there's no innovation.

CAPCOM, amazingly enough, is trying new things too (Viewtiful Joe :inlove: )... but $20 say VJ will sell pretty poorly.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Honestly the only games I have truely enjoyed in the last 3 years are freeware multiplayer mods. And they say that the commercial games are supposed to be better...

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
money is also always a problem.

of the people that having money are they most cowards. they have not the need to risk any money! also with the games being more expensive is it a problem. mostly is it a part of the dumbing in all the things.

music of the "boy band"s

movies of "steroids and boobs"

president of usa who is of english worse than me!

and games of the repeat of all other games.

it is still the best though some new games of:

Vice City
Halo (i am a bigger of quake fanboy)

plus the many others.

still is it a most exciting time for the improvements of games most best of always!

quake2 - quake2max
quake - tenebrae
unreal - unreal tournament 2003
every snes game - zsnes
nes games - fce ultra and jnes
all n64 games! - 1964/rice daedelus 2xsai yay!
civilization 2 - freeciv
windows - linux
phone - cell phone

much of things are always in the better!

too bad for all the new cars are always the suck! only of the good cars are from the 60's!!

shroomario

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
ra5555 said:
Donno about you, I feel that the quality of games have improved considerably during the past few years, just look at the graphics and amount of work that has been put into making these games. IMO, the game interface and the fun factor have improved many folds (just take GTA 3 for example). Production costs of many millions of dollars for a game are not uncommon. In addition, last year the total revenue of the gaming industry exceeded that of the Hollywood.

So, no, I don't think the new games are getting boring, nor do I think there will be a slowing down of the gaming industry.
You're one of a kind...

Nope, it's going downhill I'm afraid to say. The original classics (such as mario and zelda) are being dismissed. It's a shame, because the originals is what we were used to, and what we desire. The retro is still the best. Another thing I've found over the years is that we're trying less and less with games...

Let's compare zelda 2 (nes) and zelda oot. Zelda 2 was absolutely one of the hardest games I've played. Oot? Simple as a pie! Games just keep getting easier and easier all over the time passing...games used to be a lot harder before. Couldn't it just go back? :cry:

The doomsday is approaching us! Or, should I say, judegement day? :cry: