What's new

Is adding RAM enough to improve performance?

mapzilla1

I got Chankast to work on my 1GHz machine! Amazing considering nulldc probably won't even run on anything less than 1.6GHz.

The framerate ranges between 15-35 fps. Slow but playable. Especially Power Stone, which clocks in a at smooth 30-35 fps.

Too bad I can't adjust the over/under clock (chankast doesn't recognize laptop + and - keys).

I going to be adding an additional 512 RAM. Hopefully I can gain another 10-15 fps. That would rock!

Has anyone else been able to significantly improve their DC emulation experience by adding RAM chips?

Trotterwatch

If your hard drive is active a lot when playing then it'll help.

Very unlikely to improve performance though, AFAIK Chankast is mainly CPU bound.

ultimateyahoo

If your hard drive is active a lot when playing then it'll help.

Very unlikely to improve performance though, AFAIK Chankast is mainly CPU bound.

how about a better 3D graphics card?

my machine is a lowly Sempron 1.5 ghz.. started out with a meager 256 mb... with an embarassingly pathetic (dont laugh now) Geforce2 card...

Still i was able to play some decent (or halfway decent) games.

I upgraded to 512mb and noticed a marked improvement. the 2D game Marvel vs Capcom is very playable compared to the 3D fighting games.

Now im thinking of getting a better (about time) 3D card.. an entry level Geforce6 card.. not the best available for sure but a far cry from my laughable geforce2 right now...

think it will help much?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
A better 3D card doesn't make as much difference as more RAM or a faster processor does. Granted though, a GeForce 6 will be much better for emulation than a GeForce 2. It boils down to the graphics card supporting enough "tricks" and graphics rendering features for the emulator to properly use them.