What's new

iPod mini

jollyrancher

I heard that the iPod mini is coming out this week... it's smaller than the regular iPods, cheaper ($250) and still holds 4 gigs (about 1,000 songs). I'm thinking about getting one for when I work out or jog. What do you guys think?

http://www.apple.com/ipodmini/

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
What a ripoff. The 20 gig rio karma supports a lot more than that and is only $50 more, and the 20 gig neuros is also 20 gigs and costs $50 less, as well as supports more audio formats. Both of them don't require proprietary drivers either (in fact, the karma has an ethernet port.)

OP
J

jollyrancher

Yeah, but for jogging I don't want to lug around something that's even bigger than the standard iPod, which itself is too big! You can even strap a mini to your arm comfortably. And most of those small flashRAM players only hold 256 megs and cost $200+.

10/15GB iPod: 2.4"x4.0"x.0.62" = 5.95 cubic inch vol; 5.6 ounces
Rio Karma: 2.7"x3.0"x0.9" = 7.29 cubic inch vol; 5.5 ounces
iPod mini: 2.0"x3.6"x0.5" inches = 4.4 cubic inch vol; 3.6 ounces

So if I wanted gigs for the buck, I'd get one of those Creative things that's as big as a brick. For me the 4 gigs is enough, I mean you could take a 2 week trip and not get burned out of 1,000 songs. And I don't give a crap about the supported formats... I only deal with MP3s and it's easy to rip CD's to MP3s.

Remote

The iPod def looks the best, can't say how it performs but it's small in size which is a plus. :D Get the cheapest one I would say, broke 1 MD and 2 digital radios jogging last year.. :/

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
jollyrancher said:
Yeah, but for jogging I don't want to lug around something that's even bigger than the standard iPod, which itself is too big! You can even strap a mini to your arm comfortably. And most of those small flashRAM players only hold 256 megs and cost $200+.

10/15GB iPod: 2.4"x4.0"x.0.62" = 5.95 cubic inch vol; 5.6 ounces
Rio Karma: 2.7"x3.0"x0.9" = 7.29 cubic inch vol; 5.5 ounces
iPod mini: 2.0"x3.6"x0.5" inches = 4.4 cubic inch vol; 3.6 ounces

So if I wanted gigs for the buck, I'd get one of those Creative things that's as big as a brick. For me the 4 gigs is enough, I mean you could take a 2 week trip and not get burned out of 1,000 songs. And I don't give a crap about the supported formats... I only deal with MP3s and it's easy to rip CD's to MP3s.

If you hold an Ipod and a rio karma in your hand at the same time, you don't really notice any difference in size. Paying roughly the same price for 16 less gigs, a battery that probably wont last as long, less codec support, and an apple logo is a bit insane IMO.

Personally, I don't mind jogging with something as big as a CD player. So long as its smaller than your average CD player, its fine with me.