What's new

Internet Explorer 7 VS Mozilla Firefox Beta 2.0

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Stezo2k said:
I'm liking Ffx 2.0 a lot myself, as soon as I can get all my plugins working with it i'm making it my default browser

1.5 is fine for me at the moment though
Download the plugin, rename it to zip, extract the file install.rdf or whatever its called and change the maxversion to something like 3.0 then put it back in the zip and rename the zip back to its original name. That's how you get plugins to work in ff2.0.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Good tip. But we should remember to be careful. Remember that the plugins weren't designed for that version, or haven't been tested on it, so it might cause problems.

euphoria

Emutalk Member
ScottJC said:
Probably due more to the fact that it is considered a minor player in the browser wars, Linux is the same - it is a minor os so it is not worth it for hackers to even put it in their centre of attention whereas windows and ie7 are the most popular and hackers will attack it with everything they've got poking it for weaknesses.

I won't use Opera because as far as I know it doesn't have a plugin that works as good as Adblock, I like viewing web pages ad-free.
Opera 9 has a feature called Content Blocker that is essentialy an adblocker. Though it has some flaws, it's really nice and you don't need a plugin for it ;)

Stezo2k

S-2K
Cheers guys :) great advice, all is working great

I've made the switch now and i'm still quite impressed. Only bad thing I can say is I don't like the design of the left navigation buttons

OP
SlimickGamer

SlimickGamer

Stoic
Doomulation said:
Dude, where have you been? Opera will be used in DS and probably in Wii too.

Oh crap I though Opera is for Xbox 360 only....ehh oh well that's good then since I love Opera and it's has an easy interface! I love the interface of Opera!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i take back some of what i said before, seems they have fixed my mem leaks for 2.0. whats not good though, is the number of crashes i got with RC1. maybe theyll be fixed for final, well see. (talkback doesnt seem to be here for sending reports..)

Doomulation

You could probably find it in a plugin.
I'd love to download a new Beta, but the fact remains that the last RC was prone to crashing and the sad fact that all plugins I currently use are not compatible with FF 2.0.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
FIREFOX 2 FINAL RELEASED

Index of /pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0

Despite not being featured on the Firefox homepage the files have all been uploaded to the Mozilla FTP site.

Neowin.net - Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Download Available

Downloading right now :)

EDIT:

Even when I was posting news abot FF in this thread, I haven't used the betas or RCs (well, the final version is RC3 anyway)

I have used it for a while and I have to say is ok, visually doesn't look like a huge upgrade, but I love the Inline Spell check (it works well in spanish as well), but it has to be improved.
Overall is working fine. No problems with my plugins, if there any plugins that are causing trouble or are incompatible, I guess it's not firefox fault and means that the plugins should be upgraded (so the plugin authors must work for it)

Last edited:

Borisz

» Internet Explorer security FUD | Ed Bott’s Microsoft Report | ZDNet.com

Well, that didn't take long. The day after Microsoft released Internet Explorer 7.0 for Windows XP, Secunia published a bulletin describing a "vulnerability … in Internet Explorer, which can be exploited by malicious people to disclose potentially sensitive information."

And the gloating and "I told you so's" began almost immediately.

Australia's ITWire headlined the story "Serious flaw revealed in one-day old IE7," despite the fact that Secunia's rating for this vulnerability was "Less Critical." On its 1-to-5 scale, where 5 is most serious, this one ranks only a 2, and its graphical indicator is green, not yellow or red.

Slashdot's entry included the snarky comment: "So much for the 'you wanted it easier and more secure' slogan found on Microsoft's IE Website."

Well, maybe breathing into a paper bag a few times will help everyone stop hyperventilating. A few comments:

Microsoft says the vulnerability is actually in Outlook Express, not IE.
BetaNews reports that this is an old IE6 vulnerability that went unpatched in IE7. And sure enough, even the Secunia article references this six-month-old report. Hmmm. Is Secunia trying to piggyback on the IE7 publicity by reviving this report now?
Visiting Secunia's test page with IE7 running on a release candidate of Windows Vista results in a message that reads: "Your browser does not appear to vulnerable [sic] to this particular exploit."
And finally, a question: What should the criteria be for evaluating whether a product is secure? If your standard is that even a single patch means the product has failed, then you might as well unplug your computer and get busy sharpening your quill pen. No modern operating system or moderately complex connected application can pass that test.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
IE 7 Review

- Well, tabs finally arrived. You can move them and every one has a close button like Firefox 2. The quick tabs function is very good. I wonder if a FF plugin can do that.
- I like very much the Favorites, RSS and History panel integration
- It has good RSS support
- You can have two or more homepages. When you open IE7 they will be open in differents tabs. Useful, specially if you want to check RSS (a friend told me there is a FF plugin to do that, I haven't see it).
-It comes with MS Live search as default, but you can esaily change it for Google
-Overall fine browser and good FF competitor (if you don't consider posible security flaws, MS is too slow to fix that things)

Doomulation

Yeah, but the fact remains that it's buggy -_-
Or at least the betas or RCs were (the only version I've used is the one with Vista; specifically for Vista RC1). I haven't tested the final release, but I can't believe it's much better.

Cyberman

The problem with IE 7 isn't the obvious ones ;)

Keep in mind IE 7 isn't a seperate browser from your OS.

This means of course that other applications USE 'bits' of IE7 if they make use of 'feature rich OS' .. features :D

'That doesn't mean anything' it means any bug in a component that is part of IE suite (Outlook IS part of IE and so are a few other things, just to clue you in). Just remember this is BUNDLED (bungled?) software so your browser window is NOT IE, that's just part of it. Everytime I've installed IE, it added 4 other applications. Watch this carefully.

Bottom line, don't think that MS is giving you something new, or something you need. They are selling something. They are never giving you something. It's best to keep a perspective on this as it's a company for profit. Read E-Week online it will give you a laugh and might give you a better perspective on why Microsoft wants to introduce new IE's to begin with. Control. <--- keep that in mind.

To give you an idea, as an experiment I decided to see how hard it would be to add a browser into an application using fairly old C++ IDE (Borland C++ 5). It took 5 minutes. It could pick up URLS with or without a visual interface and browse sites without seeing a thing (IE the application did the browsing). This is easy and convienent as well as ... unsafe. Keep these things in mind. I'm not parinoid MS has had a 15 year history of 'pulling' fecal excrement on people. No they aren't evil incarnate, but they are out to make money, if you don't pay, they'll find a way to get someone else too.

Cyb

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I'm currently using Firefox and probably keep it using it.

I'm not agree with Cyberman, one of the reasons I installed IE7 is because it separates IE from explorer.exe. I don't know anything if the thing installs more things, I checked the Add/Remove Programs thing and nothing new appears. BTW, I haven't installed any IE in a long time since it came bundled with XP.

MS is not selling me something, I'm using a pirated copy of Windows (it took me a while to install IE7).

The fact is that I've been using Firefox 2 since the release date and I'll keep using it. If you check, I was the one who posted the release date here. I made the review of IE7 in a very objective way, and I pointed to the security flaws it might have.

We don't have to be kinda MS hatters here, apart from possible security issues I don't find it buggy

Doomulation

It may seperate IE from explorer, but not IE from windows, so it's pointless. What Cyberman means with that it installs a lot of other things it's IE contains a lot of system components that you can't remove. These components can be used by other applications. Outlook is a good example.