What's new

Interesting Developments concerning speed

loopsider

Might be useful for those with high spec. pc and slow chankast, not any specific tricks here unfortunately.

I formatted my system drive and reinstalled windows XP and added SP2.
I do not know how this came about, but my soul calibur's speed went up drastically.
I stated before that I could play full speed at 640x480, and around 53 FPS at 800X600. After this now those figures are about the same. The interesting thing is that before having it at 1024x768 went at 20 FPS and of course unplayable, but after the format I get ~57-59 FPS at that resolution. Quite stunning, I never thought it possible. Even at the very highest setting I get ~53-55 FPS, with slowdown with big attacks.

I have no idea as to what caused this change. Only thing difference was that I know have DirectX 9.0c as supposed to 9.0b. Drivers are a little older than I had before, I will look into that.

My hardware is the same(im not talking about my signature one).
AMD XP 2600
GeForce 5200
512 PC3200 DDR ram

If people might shed light on how I got such a speed increase, it would be nice.

minkster

Have you reformatted before or is this your first time? If it was your first time then mabe you had a lot of ad/spyware which caused your computer to slow down, therefore the cpu usage for the emulator made it work slower causing a low fps. But still that was an amazing fps increase so I'm not too sure exactly how it managed to get such an increase.

aika-san

could be the different directx versions. also different gfx card drivers can give wildly different results depending on what they do/don't support. the latest drivers are not necesarily the best.

sounds like you should keep a record of what you used to install with and keep it for when you need to re-install again. :happy:

Last edited:
OP
L

loopsider

The computer I have has incredibly restricted access to internet, meaning its off most of the time (and open only to specific ports), since it is my gaming computer I definetely do not want any spyware on it. It has never been infected because of this. It is my 5th time formatting. Nothing is on there from before, as I burnt the voltage regulator on the circuit board of the hardrive, so I had to buy the same HD off Ebay and connect the circuit board to my old HD (my tech supp. father came up with this, I had no clue it was possible).

Aika-san, I definetely will keep a record. The drivers are the ones from Windows XP though no clue as to that.

aika-san

I'm connected 24/7 to the net and I also got sick of all the crap which comes with it. Now i use a celeron 1ghz for net and my p4 3.2 work/game pc is completely seperate. I have a kvm switch so i can use both pc's with 1 keyboard/mouse/monitor. when i need to move data between them i use a rewritable cd instead of a network. It's a pity we have to go to extremes to protect our pc's. it stops being a personal computer the moment you connect.

OP
L

loopsider

aika-san said:
I'm connected 24/7 to the net and I also got sick of all the crap which comes with it. Now i use a celeron 1ghz for net and my p4 3.2 work/game pc is completely seperate. I have a kvm switch so i can use both pc's with 1 keyboard/mouse/monitor. when i need to move data between them i use a rewritable cd instead of a network. It's a pity we have to go to extremes to protect our pc's. it stops being a personal computer the moment you connect.

that is all too true. I use a 512 mb USB flash drive for transferring small files. My internet computer is a 800 mhz lol.
The one in my signature is my father's workstation, and as a result of my mom's many email attachments it has slowed down incredibly. No measure of mcafee or anti-spyware helped in this situation.

my settings on video card are no anisotropic filtering or anti-aliasing. The winxp drivers do not have an option to turn it on. Thus I am a bit reluctant to put the latest drivers with the options for AF or AA.

I will try it later.

Last edited:

blurymind

I have nearly the same computer(geforce5200,athlon2000xp,sp2)and I had problems with spyware/shit-windows firewall sucks.
You need to replace it with a better one. Zonealarm sucks aswell, for it blocks many of the apps. Get Outpost pro and install it.Its the most safe one.
Also dump mcafee and the other AV program you have. Get F-Prot(freeware)or Nod32(shareware), Panda is good too, but its a bit noisy.
Use Xoftspy/adawareSE/spy sweeper(the best)/Noadware-I have them all and since then It killed almost 800+parasites(maybe alot more).
For damn toolbars/windows/internet temporary files/unwanted cookies/unused dll files/leftovers by uninstalled software use Advanced Uninstaller Pro(its the best)...
This is how I keep my pc clean. For defragmenting- use "Disckeeper"
:alien2: SsSpAceD OUT (got it)

Last edited:

minkster

Being connected to the internet doesnt ruin your computer with spyware/adware...All you have to do is download Mozilla Firefox's great internet browser and disable Internet Explorer. I haven't gotten any spyware, adware, pop ups, or trojans since. Just make a fake proxy and your set to go.

OP
L

loopsider

I like feeling secure :happy:

The drivers do not support OpenGL for some reason, thus I am forced to install new drivers. :plain: We will see it that changes anything.

(how can speed depend THAT much on drivers...)

blurymind

uphh,I forgot to mention that too.I just hate internet explorer(micro$oft),its like a magnet for shit/toolbars/spyware.IE stands for I am EVIL!But I dont think that Firefox is the best browser.Opera 7 is way way faster,loading the pages.Its more reliable and easy to use.Mozila is abit more costumizable,but I dont like it.I have firefox and opera,but dont remove IE browser,because its part of your windows(os)and this may cause problems.Just remove the shortcut on the desktop.

OP
L

loopsider

I put the latest forceware drivers, and yes my framerate went down about 4 FPS. It is no longer playable in the highest setting. 1024x768 way to slow with even 2x antialiasing. I needed the drivers because they did not have opengl support though. 1024x768 is playable at around 55 FPS without any AA.

stupid drivers.

aika-san

maybe look around for some pre-aa drivers or there may be a hack of some sort for disabling aa on your current drivers.

i use f-prot too and it's excellent. f-secure even finds more viruses but it's more of a resource hog than f-prot. i never even keep track of anything that has norton in the name anymore. It wants to make a cup of tea for you as well as check for viruses. :p

OP
L

loopsider

I can disable AA just fine, I dont know if it uses a certain amount even if it is turned off?

Wolverine

thanks! this thread gave me the idea to defragment my comptuer. I guess defragmenting DOES make a differnece- my chankast now runs BEAUTFIULLY! I cant believe how good this emulator actually is, I had no idea

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
You'll get a way better performance increase if you use Diskkeeper instead of the built in Defragger that MS gives you. Every time I run it, my pc seems to run as good as the first day I installed my OS.