What's new

Installing MySQL

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Windows XP, Local, Nope. Basically, I just want a version I can test scripts with but if I just host a local version, can I get the stuff on the web to read it from my local drive? What would the host be?

Basically what I'm saying is I have some web space on a linux server with PHP, but I dont have a MySQL account. However I'm designing a page using MySQL and I need to test the scripts before I upload them to the server they are supposed to be on.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
install easyphp
it contains apache, mysql, php, phpMyAdmin and everything is already configured to work together :)

Then if you don't want to mess with aliases you put your files into www/ folder inside easyphp folder. Once the server is launched, to view the result, look at this address: http://localhost

That's all i think

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well since I already have PHP, MySQL, and Apache downloaded, and I'm still on a dial up, I opted for martins version. thanks for the help.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, got it all set up, but how do I find the MySQL host, password, and username?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
host=localhost (even on a real server it's usually localhost)

You have to choose a user name, a database name and a password

then launch the mysql client (should be mysql.exe) and type the following commands:

Code:
create database name_of_your_database;

grant select,insert,update,delete,create,drop
      on name_of_your_database.*
      to name_of_your_user@localhost
      identified by 'your_password';

quit

It should create everythings you need.

You can also install phpmyadmin, it's a php script that'll enable you to do this in a gui.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
ok, thanks. The sql database I used were already set up and I only had access to one database so I never learned how to create them.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
aparently the post method isnt working properly now. Its not passing any of the variables from the forms.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah the school has that on their server. Either they didnt install it right or its just messed up cause its always creating poor sql commands.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, I got phpMyAdmin up and running. It seems to be working. Thanks for the tip.