What's new

Improving Graphics on SFF (Shining Force mostly)

MrFox

I recently started replaying Shining Force 3 (Senario 2) via ISO on a SFF and the game is running mostly ok, but the spells used on battle have all very messy graphics. Is there a way to improve the graphics on SFF, or use a better emulator? I am not very deep into emulation so I don't really know, but I wanted to see if there is some way to make the graphics closer to the original Saturn, even if it's just a littler bit...

Thanks in advance.

OP
M

MrFox

Well, setting up exemples from Shining Force (only game I have at the moment) :basically outside battles the game runs with very minimum graphic glichtes. Once I run tino a combat sequence the glitches become slightly more aparent, but the use of spells and items is really damaged, they look rather awefull...

Borisz

The game font and some magic attacks are glitched in Shining Force 3 Scenario 1, but not on Scenario 2 and 3.

OP
M

MrFox

Strange, in Senario 2 they are actually much worse then in Senario 1, any suggestion of configuration of SFF? What configuration do you use?

Borisz

The only graphical glitches were a bunch of missing textures by the way. In only Scenario 1.

Scenario 2 is japanese and I can't get as far as to initiate a battle scene in it, so I can't check if there are any bugs.

What do you mean by awful graphics anyway? Many Saturn games had awful graphics, especially in 3d.

OP
M

MrFox

00000004oh1.png

This is the Blaze Spell on SFF.

SFF can run Shining Force Senario 2 at normal speed, but with this graphics glitches, while Cassini also plays the game (slower) with minor graphic glitches aswell... Any ideas?

Borisz

OK, those are emulation bugs for sure. The uncolored texture thing happens in Scenario 1 too, but those other pixel glitches dont. Try setting the Dotclock to 3 or 4 and the SlaveSH2 to 100. If that doesnt work, try using beta 0.07 R4. A different compat list says that it works fine on that.

Also, make sure you are using a working CD Image (raw BIN/CUE created by CDRWin from your original disc), not some random crap downloaded from http sites. Bogus images can easily cause problems.

OP
M

MrFox

Ok, no good.

Unfortunately the screenshot I showed was taken with the settings you recomended me already in use. I also grabbed the beta 0.07 R4 and the graphic stayed the same...

Well, unfortunately I don't have the Senario 2 CD so I might be using a "random crap downloaded from http" sites (my senario 1 which comes from a original CD is running better tough it also has graphic glitches). You think it's a problem of the ISO?

Ideas, anyone?

OP
M

MrFox

Downloaded another ISO, this one can't be read by daemon tools, it says it "unascessable"...

kamin

Hey. I've played scenario's 1 and 2 but i used Cassini, these graphics are a lot better one Shining force, however as you may have read i experienced problems later one when using save methods, however if you just have scenario 1, use Cassini it's alot better, the graphics work so much better with only certain magic turning the screen black with a certain glow (purple for lightening, orange for fire etc.)

As of yet i dont think there's an emulator that plays the shining force as perfect as we like, just ignore the major glitches and play the game, that's what i did and believe me you get used to it and it's damn good! Best RPG ever made ;-)

So my advice Cassini, failing which just play on.........ignore the glitches and have fun. I dont think there's a fix for it yet, remember Saturn's are extremely difficult to emulate, who knows maybe in the future, im just happy they play! =)

Mouser X

Seems to be. My virus checker (AVG) won't let me run and install the game... It keeps deleting files as they're extracted/installed. To say the least, it makes Cassini rather unstable, when pieces of it are missing. I gave up on it at that point. According to AVG, it's mostly trojans. Maybe this can get addressed and fixed? That might be a good idea... Mouser X out.