What's new

I searched. Frontends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk

I did a search and found that some people have already suggested this, but to no avail. What I'm talking about is a frontend like ePSXecutor for the ePSXe. Since many games need different settings, you build your configuration and then instead of having to do the tedious task of changing many settings, you just open the frontend and click on the config you want to play the game you want.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The setting sfor all games are usually stored in the rdb, so there is no nead to change settings. Plugins on the other hand... But Glide64 & Wrapper works with pretty much anything to my knowledge. Otherwise take a look at bighead's amazing list.

OP
D

Dusk

Well that's what I'm talking about, the plugin settings, such as which plugins to use and how to set them up.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
squall_leonhart said:
why would you need to?

i've never had a problem using the Jabo plugins for running everything i play.
Well, Paper Mario and Space Station Silicon Valley work best with Glide64, to name a few. Sure, Jabo's is good enough for a good number of games and its' not so good for the rest. Granted, if you just play the games that work without problems under Jabo's, then it's fine.

Personally, I'm not the type of person who'd ever use any kind of frontends so the lack of such for Project64 doesn't really bother me. I don't mind switching plugins either, since I don't switch games every five minutes.

OP
D

Dusk

squall_leonhart said:
why would you need to?

i've never had a problem using the Jabo plugins for running everything i play.
Sure it can play almost anything, but it doesn't mean its set to the perfect settings to optimize game play and plus there is also sound plugins although in n64 they don't seem to be as complicated as psx.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
thats becoz those settings might fix one thing in a game but introduce a new bug.

for instance, pokemon stadium 2

enabling legacy pipeline fixes the intro, but the water is no longer shown during a sandbox battle.

enabling D3d clear per frame, fixes the white border bug, but it breaks the pre match pokemon selection screen.

in other words.. presetting options is a BAD idea

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
no, it doesn't really.

enabling a setting to fix one part of a game, will usually result in a part further down the track being broken.

Legend

Sorry Squall but I completely disagree. 64 emulation is very incovienent and there's nothing wrong with per rom settings if you KNOW what the settings are doing for you, both negative AND positive. That's why 1964 has plugin per rom, PJ 1.7 is about to do that, video plugins have ini's to keep track of settings per game. That's why we have SETTINGS in the first place, isn't. To change something to play a game better. What's wrong with not wanting to make that correction EVERY time you play that rom but rather have the emu remember what's best for it.

I've been at this for many years and changing a setting does not usually screw things up later. It can, but not usually in my experience.

There's tens of settings in Glide64 and sometimes to get a game to work right, I have to turn something off and when I do there's NO negative effects; like unclicking "Depth buffer enable" or "Smart reading". Even if there is, it's all in an effort to get the game playable.

That's why 1964 is my emu instead of PJ64 because it allows my to setup my plugins for each game. So all I have to do is pop my emu and double click my game and play!! As opposed to opening the emu, finding a game to play, then changing the sound plugin cause the default crackles, then swithching to Rices video, and then remembering what you needed to intick last time to stop flickering and then accepting the changes, then over to change RSP's because Jabo's is too slow for this game. And THEN changing everything back when you're done!! Umm...that's not too much fun and I probably would opt to play another game that would'nt be so much work and that's not fair to Star Wars SOTE. All it wants is to be played....

Also, I would also highly recommend using GLIDE64 for almost every game with the new wrapper. Better than using Jabo for every game.

Last edited:

Legend

YESSSS!!!

Get it and enjoy. Out of my 60 games, I perfer it for everyone except Brunswick bowling, Vitual Pool, Killer instinct, Mario tennis, excite bike and Perfect Dark. It does a better job than all others for the rest of my collection.

Also, I would recommend using Azimer audio .56 WIP2 for 99% of your games.

Legend

You're right Squall.

I'm just all about convience but at the same time, I also don't like to sacrifice a thing! It can be done alot in 64 emulation and hopefully more in the days to come; so everyone, new and old, can quickly play games perfectly on one of the best consoles EVER!!!!!!:party:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Legend said:
Sorry Squall but I completely disagree. 64 emulation is very incovienent and there's nothing wrong with per rom settings if you KNOW what the settings are doing for you, both negative AND positive. That's why 1964 has plugin per rom, PJ 1.7 is about to do that, video plugins have ini's to keep track of settings per game. That's why we have SETTINGS in the first place, isn't. To change something to play a game better. What's wrong with not wanting to make that correction EVERY time you play that rom but rather have the emu remember what's best for it.
If an emulator or plugin had perfect emulation of games, there would not be any need for settings. Yes, some of this may be because we use HLE instead of LLE, but that's a sacrifice we have to make...

I've been at this for many years and changing a setting does not usually screw things up later. It can, but not usually in my experience.

There's tens of settings in Glide64 and sometimes to get a game to work right, I have to turn something off and when I do there's NO negative effects; like unclicking "Depth buffer enable" or "Smart reading". Even if there is, it's all in an effort to get the game playable.
If you find that you can change the config from the default and get better results, then you might be as kind as to report your findings so that these settings can be used as default in the future. Because the point is, that these options and settings exist so they you do not have to set them manually.

Legend

Doomulation said:
If you find that you can change the config from the default and get better results, then you might be as kind as to report your findings so that these settings can be used as default in the future. Because the point is, that these options and settings exist so they you do not have to set them manually.

Well, in the case of GLIDE64, every single one of my discoveries gets post in that forum (it's a better place for it). I have beta tested for Gonetz before and did change some defaults in the public ini. I'm the last poster in a couple different topics over there right now, talking about, ironically enough, the exact same thing; that is, getting the games to run as well as possible without manually making adjustments.

We still at a better point now than we were years ago. It was very hard for noobs to get N64 going (without a lot of help for the experts here). :batman:

OP
D

Dusk

The useful thing of frontends is that you make your own config because not all default configs are good since everyone's hardware is different.

OP
D

Dusk

Well some people are lazy or just don't want to change many settings everytime they're in the mood to play a different game, and since emulation isn't #1 in my mind, I sometimes forget what settings to use, its easier to save configs and just load them.

Status
Not open for further replies.