What's new

I Need help

kenshiki

Im new to this and i asked a friend to show me how to get it on my get it on my computer today

When i run project 64 it says

"Direct3d failed to initialize
Error code: 8876086C
D3DERR_INVALIDCALL"

after that it says

"the default or selected video plugin is missing or invalid.
Check that you have at least one compatible plugin file in your plugin folder"

from their it takes me to Settings and i dont know what to do from there

At first i clicked cancel and i thought it was working anyway but when i tried to run the game it said

"Cannot open a rom because plugins have not successfully initialized"

Alunalun

On settings it shows you three drop-down menus with which to select your plugins for graphics, audio and controls. Try selecting a different graphics plugin - I think the first error means the graphics one is the problem.

It could be that the files for your plugins are in the wrong folder and project64 can't find them. If you've only just installed it, the most reliable way to make sure you have all the correct files in all the correct folders is to get rid of it and download it again. Make sure it's from the official project64 website.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I don't think his plugins lists shows anything because of that error message. I also find it hard to believe that his plugin folder would be empty. Sure, if it is, then the solution is simple. Anyway, this is hardly an isolated problem and searching the board might get the OP some better answers. Or not.

OP: You wouldn't happen to have an integrated Intel graphics chip or something similar, would you? I suggest to make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card/chip.

Clements

Drivers are the most likely cause, so I'd check that first. Might want to use the directx webupdater to be extra safe, and check the paths are set up right.

OP
K

kenshiki

I don't think his plugins lists shows anything because of that error message. I also find it hard to believe that his plugin folder would be empty. Sure, if it is, then the solution is simple. Anyway, this is hardly an isolated problem and searching the board might get the OP some better answers. Or not.

OP: You wouldn't happen to have an integrated Intel graphics chip or something similar, would you? I suggest to make sure that you have the latest drivers installed for your graphics card/chip.
im a girl XD
and yea it is intel

Last edited:

X-Fi6

"and yea it is intel"
It sounds like you don't have a chance, but:

1. Start -> type in dxdiag -> press Enter
2. Click Yes if a message box asks you a question
3. Click the Display tab when the window comes up

That shows you the series of graphics card/chip at the top left. Google it to find the driver offered for download by its manufacturer.

Afterwards do a Windows Update and try loading up PJ64 again.

Here's the web updater Clements was talking about:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Give that a shot too.

OP
K

kenshiki

i went on the website and they said that my graphics chip isnt meant to handle 3d graphics

Agozer

You'd better update the chip's drivers before you attempt to run Microsoft's DirectX webupdater. If you meant the website in post #7, that is.

OP
K

kenshiki

i went on a website and it said that my graphics chip was not meant to support 3d i have trident 9685

Agozer

Trident cards are hopelessly below even the minimum requirements for Project64. You are out of luck.