What's new

I just installed Win2k and WOW!!!

Olger901

Banned
Hi guys

I just installed Windows 2000 Pro with Service Pack 3. and believe me this is a reccomendation for everyone here on the forum who is currently using XP. My pc boots in like 20 secs. All my games start alomost without loading. My memory usage is lower. I played ut 2003 at 1280x1024 all settings to highest and it hasn't stuttered for 1 second. (I have a Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64 Meg DDR Ram) It plays games waaaay faster then WinXP does. Trust me. This is especially for people who have 256 Meg of Ram or lower.

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
Also Install Service Pack 3. It gives you the ability to remove Internet Explorer. I did that and Installed Mozilla and OpenOffice 1.0.1. It runs waay faster. I don't kno if you have ever used XP. But when u press CTRL+ALT+Del in WinXP ur memory is used for 128 Meg. Here in Win2k only 68 is used :)

Stezo2k

S-2K
yeah, but theres proof that XP is faster than 2k, i cant see how 2k can be faster, Ok if u havent got much ram, yes 2k is faster :)

Stez

Stezo2k

S-2K
well must be your pc doesnt like XP, cuz ive seen MANY benchmarks that prove that XP is faster than 2k, or 98 for that matter.

Stez

mesman00

What's that...?
haha, stez joo just love XP :blush:. each os runs different on everyones computer. some like 2k better, some like XP better, thats just how it is. don't try to defend an os, just let people run what they want

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Stezo2k said:
yeah, but theres proof that XP is faster than 2k, i cant see how 2k can be faster, Ok if u havent got much ram, yes 2k is faster :)

Stez

proof? where? I have only seen proof of the contrary, not only that but its logical to just assume 2K is faster too, because it has less feature bloat in the shell, as well as the services that run are written more to make the system perform, rather than to impress the user.

Olger901 said:
Also Install Service Pack 3. It gives you the ability to remove Internet Explorer. I did that and Installed Mozilla and OpenOffice 1.0.1. It runs waay faster. I don't kno if you have ever used XP. But when u press CTRL+ALT+Del in WinXP ur memory is used for 128 Meg. Here in Win2k only 68 is used :)

are you sure? I haven't used SP3 yet, but I was pretty sure that it just allows you to disable the user access to internet explorer, not remove it from memory.

Stezo2k

S-2K
mesman00 said:
haha, stez joo just love XP :blush:. each os runs different on everyones computer. some like 2k better, some like XP better, thats just how it is. don't try to defend an os, just let people run what they want

i know heh, 2k is better for older pcs, but Xp is better for gaming (thats what i meant) and is stable of fuck, which is a good reson to get xp if your running 2k and are a gamer

Stez

legendj

Player
my gf4 ti 4200 has 128mb ddr... ;Ð
in my pc the Unreal 2003, works good (everything in the high) but sometimes it crashes and i need restart the pc :Ð

i'll upgrade the clock to P4 2.2Ghz coming soon ';Ð

P.S. : Im using Windows XP ';)

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
Well I have had WinXP and the gaming on my pc constantly stuttered with various games all the time (ofcourse all settings set to highest) and in Win2k it works with not even 1 stutter for me. I hate XP just give me the good old and fast w2k :)

MaGiX

Banned
Olger901 said:
and I havent gotten the worst system reqs for xp or have i?

No you dont...I can run UT 2k3 max all 1280 but no FSAA at full speed too and my pc isnt better than yours. Im on XP too SP1. How much of a speed difference is there? Is everything faster or just unreal?

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
I think the difference is about 35 to 40 procent on my comp. XP was always as SLOW AS HELL! Also my comp was continously loading his HD in win xp; why I don't know it started as soon as I left my comp alone for only 3 or 4 min and there was almost no other option then to reboot. Now with 2k the problem is gone.

flow``

flow``
personally i'm using Xp+sp1, although i used to run 2k+sp3

i really think they are both great, basically equals.. but i just use XP b/c it's easier to network and setup the printer on my mom's pc.. but i'm just too lazy to set it up in 2k :)

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
by various posters
IMO XP Pro SP1 is the best OS.

Im on XP too SP1.

personally i'm using Xp+sp1

is sp1 really that good? do u guys got a list (a link perhaps?) of improvements of it over normal xp ? ive only heard bad things about it, and im going to need some convicing before dling something that big..

/me am 56ker

MaGiX

Banned
pj64er said:
by various posters
IMO XP Pro SP1 is the best OS.

Im on XP too SP1.

personally i'm using Xp+sp1

is sp1 really that good? do u guys got a list (a link perhaps?) of improvements of it over normal xp ? ive only heard bad things about it, and im going to need some convicing before dling something that big..

* pj64er am 56ker

Its 133 mb I hear. Im downloading it right now :p