What's new

How to save - other than using F5?

mikemorton

Hi, another newbie question here.

I've been playing OOT for quite a few hours now, but have just been using F5 to save and F7 to load.

Having just one save point is dangerous, but I'm not confident in trying other methods, otherwise I might lose hours of saved gametime.

I've read the Project64 user manual, but admit I don't fully understand what it's trying to tell me. :unsure:

Can you have more than one save point on the PC?

Should I get an N64 memory pak and use this as a backup?

And are the unoffficial new ones for sale on eBay safe & reliable?

TIA

Mike

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
IIRC, Mempak emulation is something that is only done by the controller plugin and in software, meaning that MemPak files are created on your computer and getting a MemPak for your controller is useless. I could be wrong though.

Besides, Ocarina of Time does not even use a MemPak for saving. I'd recommend that you use the game's oen save feature over relying on savestates, as they are rather easily corrupted. If you want to use more thatn one savestate slot, jsut pick one via System --> Current Save Slot or name your own via System --> Save As.

Of course, the game's own save features permits only one save per new game slot.

Clements

You should be able to back up your save game folder fairly easy on a USB stick or similar every so often so you don't lose progress. Using native saves is recommended (.fla, .eep, .mpk, .m0 etc) as they have a small file size, work with any region of the game, and are much less liable to cause errors (unless you enable certain cheats and then save). Save states are good for when you need to quit quickly once in a while without losing your progress.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
Save states are good for when you need to quit quickly once in a while without losing your progress.

Or when you're about to face a final boss or something and don't want to lose everything since the last checkpoint. But if I recall Zelda OOT saves every so often automatically. Just load the game as you would on the regular N64. And make sure the PJ64 save directory is set to a valid folder that you have proper permissions to (shouldn't be a problem unless you're running on Vista).

OP
M

mikemorton

I seem to quite happily be able to use F5 as my primary save point with the game's own save state providing a nice backup.

Now, this works fine for OOT, but doesn't work for Majora's Mask, which IIRC required a Memory Pak when playing on the N64.

From what Agozer said above,, would this be a waste of time in the Project64 version? Or is a Mem Pak a good idea?

Toasty

Sony battery
Majora's Mask doesn't use a memory pack either. You can save natively by playing the Song of Time to travel back to the beginning of the three days, or (temporarily) by using an owl statue that you've hit with your sword.