What's new

How to burn rom in order to play on doctor V64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willchu

How to burn rom in order to play on doctor V64? I only know it takes game file with the extension .v64... I have burnt files with this extension on a cd. Doctor V64 recognizes them and read them, but cannot initiate any game... :(

Any idea on how to make it work? Thank you in advance :)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You have to insert any game catrige in your N64 before turning on N64 and Doctor V64 in order to run a game from Doctor V64. Your roms have to be on Doctor 64 format in order to run (if I remeber right). If you want to know in wich format your roms are and do some nice things with Doctor V64 you can download and use Rtool 64.

OP
W

willchu

Thanks for your info PsyMan :)

Should I use adaptor on N64 before inserting the catrige? I will try your suggestion, and I might have came up with more questions afterwards... lol

thanks once again :)

OP
W

willchu

I have been searching for Rtool64 online... I couldn't find it. If somehow you have a copy of it, could you please provide me the file? Thanks in advance :)

OP
W

willchu

I have found tool64 in the forum. After I have loaded the .v64 roms on doctor V64, it indicates < the game is ready to play >. However whenever I turn on the N64 with catrige inserted, there is only a black screen. Is my procedure from turning on the machines wrong? Or something else I have to pay attention to? Could you please show me the sequence in steps from turning on the machines and which button to press along the way? Thanks in advance :)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Try inserting an other catrige in N64 (I personaly use pilotwings 64). Also be sure that N64 and Doctor V64 are connected right. Remember that some roms need patches in order to run with Doctor V64. Also be sure that you use Rtool64 v3 beta 2 (Rtool_v3b2), you can find it here from EmuTalk.net > Downloads > Misc section or at www.emulation64.com under downloads/tools section.
If the roms have .v64 extension that does not mean that they are in Doctor 64 format (Rtool64 can tell you in what format they are). If you still have problems just describe to me what exactly you do.

Last edited:
OP
W

willchu

Thank you for your reply. I have downloaded Rtool64 and use it to verify the roms. The roms are in the format of doctor64 (Ogre Battle 64 - 320m, Ready to Rumble 2 - 256m, Quake II - 96m). I burn them on a CD and read them off Doctor64. In the doctor64 menu, I could find those files to write to DRAM. When it is finished reading, a flashing sentance < you can play the game now > at the buttom of the screen indicates ready. Then I turn on N64 with either Mario64 or Zelda inserted. However, the screen goes blank (black). I wonder if any step is missing in order to run the game correctly... Or maybe the way I burn those games on CD not being correct. Anyway, please let me know if you think of anything else I should try on. Thank you in advance :)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Doctor V64 cannot run games bigger than 256 megs. It has 128 megs memory by itself but it can be expanded to 256 megs (that means that you cannot run ogre battle 64). In oder to run a game from Doctor V64 you have to insert the adaptor that comes with Doctor V64 (in order to be able to save your progress in some games you will need a ds1 adaptor) into N64's slot and insert the game (for example Mario 64) into the adapter's slot. Then turn on your N64 and after Doctor V64 (or vise versa), choose your game and press play on doctor V64.

P.S: If you still cannot get it to work make sure that N64 itself and its cables are connected right with Doctor V64 and Doctor V64 is connected right with your TV. Do not put games with greater size than your Doctor V64 can handle on the cd you burn. (for example if your Doctor V64 has only 128 megs of memory put games with 128 megs or less on your cd). Try burning the cd in DAO 9660 MODE (you can use NERO, clone CD or CDRWIN for burning it).

P.S.No2: Tell me this worked for you or not when you try it :)

Last edited:
OP
W

willchu

Thanks for your info, I think I will keep trying only for the sake of curiosity since my initial intention mainly focused on playing the OgreBattle64 with the console... Now I know it is out of context, lol :D

Thank you very much for your precious time in answering my questions.

PS. I think my doctor64 is helpless. Even after I follow your instuction, I couldn't run Quake II (96m)... Anyway... :)

Gorxon

Administrator
Just wanted to add that you two better be careful of what you post now, and if I see similar posts again you're out. I know the rules aren't easy to find, but that will be worked on I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.