What's new

how long wud it take?

Trotterwatch

As for a c++ compiler, doh! Get MS Visual C++!

I bet that was really obvious, but I'm a complete newbie at C++, I couldn't even program a Hello World style excercise just yet. I looked at Borland C++ things like that... Anyways I'll look into picking up MS VC++, thanks for the recommendation.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Trotterwatch said:

I bet that was really obvious, but I'm a complete newbie at C++, I couldn't even program a Hello World style excercise just yet. I looked at Borland C++ things like that... Anyways I'll look into picking up MS VC++, thanks for the recommendation.
The worry isn't to compile, but to program as you see.
To compile your app, simply press F7.
So first you need to learn how to program in c++. I know a little, so don't come ask me about it :p

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
hello world, with one include:
Code:
#include <iostream.h>

void main
{
   cout << "Hello World";
}

wow, fun fun

And you can get many compilers, actuall I think you can get the gcc++ compiler off the net for Windows...

Trotterwatch

Will check that out as well then. I got a nice little easy to use Compiler last night - trouble is, it was for C only, and not C++.

Doomulation

Why would you want the compiler without the language itself?
And that hello world app...i don't like it, i never did. Shows a stupid dos-box.

Trotterwatch

Well, eventually I'd need a compiler. Also it makes sense to compile work as I go along - so I can figure out any mistakes I am making and such.

At the moment though I do like that look of that Visual Basic I downloaded, seems quite easy to use.

Doomulation

Trotterwatch said:
Well, eventually I'd need a compiler. Also it makes sense to compile work as I go along - so I can figure out any mistakes I am making and such.

At the moment though I do like that look of that Visual Basic I downloaded, seems quite easy to use.
Erm... VC++ has a an easy-to-use compiler included. It is runned from GUI and everything that the compiler reports is shown in a little list, on what line the error is, etc. You can even double-click it to jump to that line.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Doomulation said:
Why would you want the compiler without the language itself?
And that hello world app...i don't like it, i never did. Shows a stupid dos-box.
Would you like me to indlude the windows header and create a Windows messgae box that pops up?

Remember not every OS runs off the Windows header ;)

I know almost everyone here programs under windows but ya never know when someone may be running off a *unix/bsd/"OS/2 " system, this will work under all those OSs.

:)

oh and Trotterwatch,
Im glad your liking VB, its not very intimidating, thats anyther reason I think newbies should start off with it :).

If you need help with starting off go to http://www.vbworld.com , They have alot of tutorials and help forums you can browser through.

{Edit}
oh yea, and why would you want a compiler insted of the language?

With both c/c++ the language is basic text. thats right, your programming (source) isn't encripted in any magical way, its just got a nice *.c of *.cpp extension. It can be created in a text editor such as Notepad/wordpad/EMacs then its just sent into the compiler with some command like optimizations/options. This is the same with VC++. VC++ just makes everything look pretty, also for anyone running KDE/GNOME I came accross a nice looking C/C++ compiler that has many of the same features as VC++, I'll post a link in a few mins for ya'll :)
{/edit}

Doomulation

Trotterwatch said:
Thanks for the link as well Doomulation, and yep I am replying as soon as I receive the mails.
Lol, I thought so.
BTW, ask me if there's anything you don't understand in VB.
I'm the VB GOD!

Trotterwatch

Will do. At the moment I'm reading the article by Karl Moore on vbworld.com, it's really easy to understand even for a Novice.

I'm liking VB a lot at the moment.

zorbid

What about DevC++/MinGW? I'm learing cpp atm, and I grabbed this one because it was smaller than Visual C. The latest version (beta) looks neat, but I can't compare it with VC, since I don't have it. What are the main differences?

Jsr

zorbid said:
What about DevC++/MinGW? I'm learing cpp atm, and I grabbed this one because it was smaller than Visual C. The latest version (beta) looks neat, but I can't compare it with VC, since I don't have it. What are the main differences?

Umm, lots of differences. I think VC++ is better on everything, except for that it cost. There you have tools to create resources, gets help when coding and stuff. And I also thinks that the error reporting in DevC++ not is the best. I really recommend VC++.