What's new

How is everyone enjoying the summer weather?

Toasty

Sony battery
It's pretty dry here, so it can get awfully hot before I really start to mind. It's probably in the low 70's F (~23 C) today, which is warmer than it's been, but still pretty cool by my standards. I like to roast!

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
It's been hot and dry over here for the last couple of days, but now the weather's cooled down a little.

A.I.

Banned
AI ... I think you simply don't understand much of anything regarding the US. Also I think you need to study about the history of English.

Unfortunately we have wacko's here like everywhere. They have there own silly agenda's. As for what is English, at least I can understand the BBC as long as they don't add British slang (such as the word 'bonk' for example means something completely different in the US, can you imagine "Bonk's Adventures" in the UK people would be saying "What The ... " must be made by a bunch of vulgarians!). I watch the BBC for news, because quite frankly our networks aren't news networks they are an example of a global disgrace. :D Don't get me wrong the british have there share of idiots too! unforttunately English is mostly the same for you between the US and the rest of the world (IE what are you having trouble with? Slang or the real language?). Some things are different namely the biggest one being the use of comma's (or should I say abuse of comma's) in the UK.

I read technical papers and start laughing sometimes because, well if it's ment as a punctuation mark somehow, I'll never figure out HOW it's supposed to be used in the UK (in fact I read a memo to British government workers about the random and over use of comma's, I hadn't realized that most people just did whatever with commas in the UK and there really aren't rules). I can't believe how bad some of the grammer and spelling errors are from the US either. It's as if "l33t" speak has infected the general population's grammer and spelling.

Oddly, even though I work as an engineer, (actually a firmware engineer) I spend a lot of time thinking about language. I believe in EMutalk most do well with there english (although I have a hard time with the use of slang, to be blunt no one should really use slang here it's hard enough to deal with US slang [as half of it I don't understand myself]).

The US is very conservative in many ways, people have been trying to 'Evangelize' the US with metric since the 40's. I think in general people are totally ignorant in how they use things here. I heard a professor (in the US ) say we will use Metric because it's more scientific, I asked him "Is the measurement system the science, or is the science in the measuring?" Needless to say he was quite embarassed (as he should have been). To be honest I don't care if the measurement is in metric or english, save one area, English units with distances are a bit easier since it's much easier to divide by 2 than 10 (yes it will take a bit to think about this). English fractions are more 'binary' if you didn't notice LOL. (bit pun had to be done). However I convert them in my head all the time, it's actually faster to compute a distance in English units and convert to metric than to try and figure it out with metric units for me. (even though it seems decimal would be simpler, it's not in many cases, since seldom are things in reality a convient division of 10).

Erstwhile the temperature thing is a bit amusing too me. 40C in what RH? If it's 10% RH that's actually COOL. If it was 80% RH then it's hot. The realitive humidity determines how affective the body can cool itself through evaporation. I've lived in 41C 80% humidity and it SUCKS (damn hot). Right now it's 35C at 75% out and that is unconfortable.

Cyb

PS: This is quite funny but seems like flaming too me huh? :D

hmm... Cyb you kind of lost me with all that techno babble there but I see your point, to put it crudely one man's meat is another man's potato. As for english, I have a reasonably good grasp of it, though I can admit that it isn't the most logical language at times.

As for understanding british slang try watching more british comedies, i was brought up by them and because of the Colonial link i am famiar with the Poms and their pecular ways, you no wat i mean?

And you are right, i am fairly ignorant of American culture and history, most of what i know is from the movies and sitcoms, sure i read the newspaper and internet but that doesnt really substitute living there and experiencing your culture. One day i will travel to your land and taste your American pie, hang with the homies, take a walk with your President and go to Disneyland.

Back to topic and its slightly warmer today, my cat had its first walk in the garden in a long time...

Last edited:

Cyberman

hmm... Cyb you kind of lost me with all that techno babble there but I see your point, to put it crudely one man's meat is another man's potato. As for english, I have a reasonably good grasp of it, though I can admit that it isn't the most logical language at times.
Sorry (LOL) I tend to do that sometimes. :D

As for understanding british slang try watching more british comedies, i was brought up by them and because of the Colonial link i am famiar with the Poms and their pecular ways, you no wat i mean?
I generally avoid slang because it can be the source of many problems I've noticed. There is nothing wrong with it, but at the same time it's silly to see people argue if a carbonated beverage is, a soft drink, a soda, a pop, a soda pop, oddly I hear that all the time (drives me nuts too LOL). Erstwhile I am indeed ocassionally sliping into (or on) slang myself (no one is perfect it seems). :)

And you are right, i am fairly ignorant of American culture and history, most of what i know is from the movies and sitcoms, sure i read the newspaper and internet but that doesnt really substitute living there and experiencing your culture. One day i will travel to your land and taste your American pie, hang with the homies, take a walk with your President and go to Disneyland.
Well I wouldn't go as far as going to Disneyland (unless you are quite wealthy that is). However the US can at times be rather strange because the media here paints a very distorted picture of people here. They seem to try and create a more disturbed US everyday, sometimes they seem to try and create new problems (I guess they are desperate for attention See South Park 'Man-Bear-Pig' LOL).

Granted many here are disconnected from reality in the rest of the world (sad but true), no one is out to get anyone here (save the rabid politicians but I assume that is no different than any other country).

Back to topic and its slightly warmer today, my cat had its first walk in the garden in a long time...

Ahh winter, I'm glad it's over here but I guess you have a few more months of that. Hopefully the cat's stroll wasn't bad for the feline.

Cyb

OP
E

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
╔╗╔╦══╦╗╔╦══╦╦╦╗
║╚╝║╔╗║╚╝║╔╗║║║║
║╔╗║╠╣║╔╗║╠╣╠╬╬╣
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╩╩╩╝Why haha? Because the weather is much better now, a bit cooler. It is perfect, it s perfection, i tells ye! Exactly 20 C. Just perfect. Fits me GREAT! Not too cold, and not too hot either. Just normal indoor temperature.

twiztidgamer

It's as if "l33t" speak has infected the general population's grammer and spelling

this is the greatest statement ever.. Cyb, i think you would get a kick out of the movie Idiocracy... if you havent seen it i suggest it.... you would get a kick out of it

:party:

oh ya and its hotter then hell up here

Last edited:

twiztidgamer

i think youtube has the whole thing cut up in sections

make sure u watch the very beginning atleast... because its so true you will laugh yet feel slightly sick to your stomach because of how true it really is

Allnatural

Probably it's just your explanation of your mistake! ;P
Just a joke, mate, you know.
I like jokes. What you said was...I don't know what it was, but it wasn't a joke.

And my mistake? What?

Not that I take offense to anything you said. I'm just trying to understand your sense of humor.

A.I.

Banned
lol, this thread is becoming the weather channel... Actually, It pissed down last week when i was at work, fortunately cos i spilt tomatto sauce on the national flag so it washed off in the rain, but yesterday it was gail force winds and as i was raising the fag it blew him into the barbi wire fence and ripped a hole in one of the stars. The fag was quite dirty with an exposed hole which you could penetrate with my little finger, oh wat fun!

OP
E

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
What...fag? Dont you mean flag? I hope you mean flag, or...I dunno, kinda weird..

Anyway, WTF?? The temperature here has been sinking from 30 C in the sun, too 10-15 C in just a few days! It is really weird...Has been raining alot too.

OP
E

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
WHAT THE SHIT...? The temperature has been dropping drastically, it has been raining a lot, it is last summer ALL over again. A few days sun, the rest is crap..It has been improving slightly in the last few days though...

A.I.

Banned
My bad, spelling error. :p with a touch of cheeky humour, ha ha ha, rain, wind is sending me Crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy!!! :p

Cyberman

Global Cooling

They are very concerned now about global cooling, haven't you read the latest trends in the average earth temperature? The last several years have shown them to be dropping.

Cyb

A.I.

Banned
Yeah, its a tragedy,the Bundi Bear is floating on a iceblock. Let me have another drink...*

*For those outside Australia the Bundi Bear is the mascot of Bundiberg Rum, a Polar Bear, made in Bundiberg, Queensland, Australia.

Oh back on topic, we 've been having nasty Gale force winds with lashings of rain. Its highly amusing seeing how people react to extreme weather; some running with inverted umbrellas, others hiding under plastic bags or newspapers - one lady was even wearing a plastic lunch container on her head!

Last edited: