What's new

How important is a graphics card when using chankast? :ermm:

morpheusx

I read a few post on people's specs and the effects they have within chanakast,what does the chanka's proformance really depend on?,is it the graphics card's memory or specs or is it the processor speed and ram installed on your pc,or is it all of the above?,one person said that a p 4 2ghz user should have anything between 40 and 60 fps,i only get around 25/30 fps in games like soul calibur.

I think,"in my opinion"that the graphics card has to be very good to get high fps,no matter how fast ur cpu is,if you have a fast cpu and a slow graphics card,it would'nt proform very good at all.

any feedback is apresiated and welcome to objections :satisfied

Samus

Your graphics card has only really got to outperform the dreamcast GPU to run chankast. Obviously it needs to be a better card if you enable 8xFSAA, etc, but your CPU is always the most important element in emulation, because its doing most of the work; translating all the processor instructions, etc. All your graphics card is doing is rendering the result and that isn't really much of a task for modern day pc gfx cards.

Mant0r

-0r
I would say its pretty important.

My laptop doesnt run Soul Calibur too well, I can only put that down to the graphics card as its got a P4 2.8 processor with only an ati 9600 pro (mobile m10).

However, my FX5950 in my amd machine laughs in the face of every emulated game I've thrown at it :D

Guus

I also got a P4 2ghz oced to 2.2 but with 1024mb ddr and a radeon9500 softmodded to 9700. And i also get around 25/30fps in soulcalibur maybe even less. So i think that a new graphics card won't help for you. A amd64 3800+ would be the best for chankast :D a person that said that he get like 40-60fps with an p4 2.0 is impossible
maybe in the intro screens or the menu..

btw this is my first post here :)
Thanks for all the great work chankast team !
Cant wait to play ikaruga, border down(great improvement in alpha 2.5), psyvariar2(please fix!) and zerogunner2 (plz fix too ! :)) at full speed :D

Edit: mant0r it's your AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton Core 400mhz FSB) that makes chankast run that good :) not your geforce.

Last edited:
OP
morpheusx

morpheusx

tweak n freak

I want to know if there is a way i can tweak n then freak my graphics card where i can get a better fps result,i am runing the latest drivers "56.72" for my 64mb nvidia GeForce4 mx 440 graphics card,is there 3rd part driver i can use to boost my graphics card's proformace? :ermm:

Mant0r

-0r
Morph check out www.omegadrivers.net

They produce modded versions of the official Nvidia drivers to increase image quality and squeeze out a little more FPS.

Cant guarantee it will help with a GeForce 4 but it sure cant do any harm :)

Edit: Guus, im pretty sure they both have a lot to do with it ;)
Though I do hear Athlons perform far better with Chankast than Intels.

Last edited:
OP
morpheusx

morpheusx

Mant0r said:
Morph check out www.omegadrivers.net

They produce modded versions of the official Nvidia drivers to increase image quality and squeeze out a little more FPS.

Cant guarantee it will help with a GeForce 4 but it sure cant do any harm :)

sweet,lemme see what i can do,it's worth the ol college try,why not? :D

P.S. any idea which driver to download? :ermm:

Guus

Mant0r: yep much better i've seen chankast running on a amd 2000+ wich runs 1.67ghz+radeon 9800XT and chankast runs like 20% faster on that cpu as on mine 2.2ghz p4.
I've also seen chankast on a amd 1600+ with an geforce4 ti4200 and 512mb ram on that cpu it's like the same speed as on my P4. The graphics card has only effect with high resolution+fsaa. The speed with my radeon 9500@9700 is almost the same on 640x480 as on 1280x1024+2xfsaa so a radeon 9600 or an FX5950 should not make any difference at a normal resolution like 1024 in chankast.

Weyland

Weyland Yutani Corporation
56.72 is not the newest driver for Nvidia cards by a long shot, go over to the fine gentlemen at http://www.guru3d.com/ because they have absolutely the newest (sometimes beta) Nvidia drivers on the net ...

I can clearly say that every time I updated my drivers the results were noticeable so get the latest ones if you have a decent modern card ;)

Lord_Santa

Having an AMD 2800+ with 512 mb RAM and a GeForce MX 440 (128 mb RAM), I get 57-60 fps in Soul Calibur (overclock ChanKast to 120) with Zwrite and AlphaZWrite enabled.

I use the 56.72 drivers from Nvidia

Weyland

I'm running 61.36 (it's WHQL, that means Microsoft has officially tested it and approved it for XP) ... try it !

:party:

OP
morpheusx

morpheusx

Weyland said:
I'm running 61.36 (it's WHQL, that means Microsoft has officially tested it and approved it for XP) ... try it !

weyland,where can i find this driver your speaking about?

Weyland

I posted the link in my earlier post ! but here you go :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=810

But wait ! while browsing for the exact link, I see there's a newer WHQL certified Nvidia driver out

61.72 ! When it rains it pours, need to upgrade and test this one myself ...

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=820

Oh and this thread on their forum explains the best and cleanest way to upgrade Nvidia (and ATI) drivers, I highly recommend taking the extra time to do this as to make sure your drivers are neatly installed and work as fast as possible:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=67799

Remember: these are not hacked drivers, this is 100% Nvidia reference code, I for one never had any problems with any of them

Oh and another thing, since your card is slightly older, if you should notice a drop in FPS, go back to an earlier driver, more recent (Geforce FX etc) cards should always benefit from the upgrade

enjoy

Last edited:
OP
morpheusx

morpheusx

Weyland said:
I posted the link in my earlier post ! but here you go :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=810

But wait ! while browsing for the exact link, I see there's a newer WHQL certified Nvidia driver out

61.72 ! When it rains it pours, need to upgrade and test this one to this myself ...

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=820

Oh and this thread on their forum explains the best and cleanest way to upgrade Nvidia (and ATI) drivers, I highly recommend taking the extra time to do this as to make sure your drivers are neatly installed and work as fast as possible:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=67799

Remember: these are not hacked drivers, this is 100% Nvidia reference code, I for one never had any problems with any of them

woo hoo! i beat you to the punch weyland smithers,lol joking,i love "The simpsons"i'm downloading that new version 6172 already ,i'll check out that forum your spoke of and get some tips on upgrading my drivers,never had a problem though,it's very easy to do but hey,your never too smart to learn somthing new.

here's to new drivers weyland-------> :cheers:

Last edited:

Weyland

oh and buying some extra memory will speed up your whole computer, 256 megs just ain't cutting it for XP, no more whirring HD when you open an app
:p

XP + SP1 alone will in most cases use 170-220 megs, yup, that means everything else you do will be loading and swapping from your harddisk's pagefile = not good, and memory's dirt cheap these days

Last edited:

achiles

well I recently went on a discussion with a fellow chankast user and I came to the conclusion that another strong part in your system is what sound card or integrated sound card you are using. For the longest while playing soul calibur I was getting 40-45 fps on my 2.8p4 with 1gb of ram, I even tried to run it at 3.2 with only a 5fps increase. Baffled by this decided to check my sound, well Iam using a realtek 658 integrated sound on my system but I had and old soundblaster live card lying around and decided to try it. And then it happened full 60fps while playing the game and 115fps while watching the intro (in fact it ends way earlier than the music). I tried other games with the same result, try a pci sound card (prefferely a sb live or turtle beach) if your using integrated sound(for desktop of course). hope it helps

rcgamer

the old guy
morpheusx said:
woo hoo! i beat you to the punch weyland smithers,lol joking,i love "The simpsons"i'm downloading that new version 6172 already ,i'll check out that forum your spoke of and get some tips on upgrading my drivers,never had a problem though,it's very easy to do but hey,your never too smart to learn somthing new.

here's to new drivers weyland-------> :cheers:

actually 62.01 is out now. get them at www.guru3d.com