What's new

How do I get my masterkey.bin?

Urb4n Z0mb13

Legally of course. I've used the search function and looked in the stickies but I haven't really found anything. Do I have to mod my Wii? I can't really do that much with it, the DVD drive is broken. Any help is appreciated.

X-Fi6

There are two ways to get your masterkey.bin (whether the 2nd way is illegal or not is, tbh, up to you):

1. Mod your Wii *somehow* (modchip? I can't confirm; sorry that I'm not much of a help here) and dump it to your computer. I don't have experience with this. You'd be better off asking for help at other forums.

or

2. Download it online. Note that this way is most likely illegal (in your country), especially if you help upload it to other people (and if you are getting yours through a torrent, that's pretty much automatic). If you just completely achieve it yourself, then as long as you have your own Wii, if the DMCA people come up to your door for *whatever* reason, you can say that you already own masterkey.bin and dumped it from your own Wii. :)

Also, if you ask me for masterkey.bin then I shall inflict torture to your life. ;)

Last edited:
OP
U

Urb4n Z0mb13

There are two ways to get your masterkey.bin (whether the 2nd way is illegal or not is, tbh, up to you):

1. Mod your Wii *somehow* (modchip? I can't confirm; sorry that I'm not much of a help here) and dump it to your computer. I don't have experience with this. You'd be better off asking for help at other forums.

or

2. Download it online. Note that this way is most likely illegal (in your country), especially if you help upload it to other people (and if you are getting yours through a torrent, that's pretty much automatic). If you just completely achieve it yourself, then as long as you have your own Wii, if the DMCA people come up to your door for *whatever* reason, you can say that you already own masterkey.bin and dumped it from your own Wii. :)

Also, if you ask me for masterkey.bin then I shall inflict torture to your life. ;)

You expect me to believe that everyone here discussing Wii emulation on Dolphin have modded Wii's? :doh:

I'll accept your torture/banning in return for a masterkey.bin, or some way to get a masterkey.bin without modding my already broken Wii (third one by the way, whatever happened to Nintendo's godlike durability? It seems its completely gone out the window with the Wii/DSlite generation)

I'm not doing this because I'm a cheapskate like most of the people on these forums. I just want to test and provide insight like I've been doing on various other projects/emulators.

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
Wouldn't this count as asking how to dump backups? Technically it's not an ISO or a game or anything. I'd say he's fine, but ;S.

And yeah, I'd bet most people don't use legitimately obtained ISOs or BINs or anything, as methods for dumping are few and far in between. I happen to have one of those LG drives though, it was the easiest way for me. :)

OP
U

Urb4n Z0mb13

Wouldn't this count as asking how to dump backups? Technically it's not an ISO or a game or anything. I'd say he's fine, but ;S.

And yeah, I'd bet most people don't use legitimately obtained ISOs or BINs or anything, as methods for dumping are few and far in between. I happen to have one of those LG drives though, it was the easiest way for me. :)

Can you still get those? I need a new dvd drive anyways.

X-Fi6

Just by having masterkey.bin on your computer doesn't mean that it's illegal. If you have your own Wii, then it doesn't matter how you got your masterkey.bin on your computer because if it's the same 1s and 0s (I don't know if masterkey.bins are different for different Wiis, or not), then it should be legal.

OP
U

Urb4n Z0mb13

Just by having masterkey.bin on your computer doesn't mean that it's illegal. If you have your own Wii, then it doesn't matter how you got your masterkey.bin on your computer because if it's the same 1s and 0s (I don't know if masterkey.bins are different for different Wiis, or not), then it should be legal.

Then can I just have someone elses and call it a day? Do you need photographic proof that I have in fact already paid a whopping 250 dollars for a Wii?