What's new

How come this program doesn't work

Smiff

Emutalk Member
BTW, iNtRePiD, everyone has been remarkably nice to you despite your great ignorance shown so far, I suggest you learn quick or stop posting, cos its going to cause trouble, and we dont like trouble here, it gets in the way of dealing with real concerns and helping people who ask nicely.

OP
I

iNtRePiD

Ha, I ve never heard of any of those working for anyone, I know in person that is. I ve tired several things to get Pj64 and 1964 to work and nothing just strings of crazy error messages. I open up ultrahle, I load the rom and volia it works. Something I can't say for these emulators. These emulators say that they work almost all the roms out there, but I can't even get one rom to work with these piles of incoherant code.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
well congratulations, you're very special, and you must have lots of special friends... now seriously, start coming up with some intelligent questions to ask, or stop posting, or be banned. I don't care either way.

OP
I

iNtRePiD

I did ask nicely at first, then you made fun of me because I am new here. I proceeded to give you the problem in more detail and i am met with only one real suggestion that didn't seem to work, thank you for that suggestion.

I then spend several hours trying to get this thing to work, with no luck it just keeps crashing over and over again. I am mad because this emulator is advertised to work and it doesn't. I am not the only one either, i thought maybe it was just the voodoo 3 card, but after cirrculating it with my friends, i found that it didn't work for anyone.

Is it possible that I download a screwed up version of your program, I don't know, I got it off your main site. All I know is for a forum, this one has been extremly un helpful and rude to me, so I am being rude back.

OP
I

iNtRePiD

Intelligent questions

1) Is this being caused by the voodoo 3 card.
2)Have there been previous problems like this, and if how were they solved?
3)Can you recommend a working emulator that is not from this forum?
4)Could this be because of the newest version direct x?
5)Could the latest voodoo3 upgrade be causing this?
6)If this is caused by the voodoo3 card what can I do about it?

Its not like i don't want this program to work, i am just very frustrated with it.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Hope I didn't miss something

I read through and don't think I saw anyone ask

Is your Windows color bit-depth set to 32BPP?

If so change it 16BPP from your display properties. If I remember right I used to get the exact error when I had a V3.

And trust me, this emulator does work. Here at the office I have a simple P2-333 system with an awful ATI Rage Pro 4MEG. The emu runs on it, just very slowly due to the system. At home with my T-Bird 850 and GF2MX it is a very nice experience.

Acorn

A few of my friends are reporting that DX 8.1 causes errors in emus with V3's, but DX 8.0 doesn't. I havn't seen this myself as I don't have a V3 card, but its worth looking at.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Well, with Voodoo 3 video card

Not being on 16BPP is probably not what's causing the unknown x86 opcode error. Usually, if it's because it's not on 16BPP, the error that states that HAL device failed to initialise appears:
"Direct 3D failed to initialize your HAL device..." .:pj64:

Crazed376

I have a Voodoo 3 3000 and running Win XP (Pro). I haven't had any problems, well of course, the red sky in zelda and other known issues. So I don't believe the problem is DirectX 8.1, since that's installed by default.

Although, I do have some minor probs with Mario64 (ie. Mario's face is all black), but gameplay is just fine. What might help is to use Voodoo 4/5 drivers. They are backwards compatible with the Voodoo 3 and, in my opion, have better glide and OpenGL performance.

Another tip is the Bollywood (sp?) fix. Download DirectControl (search for it on the boards) and disable AGP. The prob. is that the Voodoo 3 doesn't make great use of AGP, so changing this will greatly improve perf. in PJ and other D3D games.

Hope that helps.

Witten

Emulator Developer
And noone thinks that it could be corrupt data in the rom?

Rename the rom with GoodN64 (you can get all the info from Smiff's site ), when the renamed rom doesn't have "[!]" in it's name then get an other.

DiaBlo666

Re: Well, with Voodoo 3 video card

RJA said:
Not being on 16BPP is probably not what's causing the unknown x86 opcode error. Usually, if it's because it's not on 16BPP, the error that states that HAL device failed to initialise appears:
"Direct 3D failed to initialize your HAL device..." .:pj64:

agreed
u know any way i could solve that? im experiencing same thing but on a geforce2.. "direct 3d failed to nitialize ur hal device" grrrrrrrrrrrr

OP
I

iNtRePiD

It is definatly not a corrupt rom(s) because it works for ultra-hle, however i can't seem to get any of the emulators in this forum to work for me. Most of them crash or give some sort of error message.

It also isn't a corrupt rom because it comes directly from the n64 system, it is not one i found on the web.

Was ultra-hle designed for a wider range of video cards because i haven't even been able to get any of these emulators to even intalize (in some cases) let alone run a rom.

Are there any other emulators that are not disscused in this forum that i can try, because i would like to play newer n64 games and ultra-hle only works for the older ones.

OP
I

iNtRePiD

Oh yes and sometimes i get the hal error message as well, if the program doesn't crash while i am loading it.

"Direct 3D failed to initialize your HAL device..."

Smiff

Emutalk Member
From your 2nd to last post i'm 90% sure you have a bad ROM. uHLE doesn't boot games properly (it can do it completely itself), so you have a bad boot area, and uHLE will start the game, a good emulator won't ... not a fault in the emus, a fault in the ROM.

OP
I

iNtRePiD

That is extremly unlikely, the roms plays perfectly and it comes directly from the z64 rom converter. Its not just that rom either, its all of them, i have several roms and none of them work on this particular emulator, i tend to get the same message errors with each one.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Well if you've dumped them all yourself, you've probably dumped them all wrong (and hence same error message with each). I don't like guessing games, use GoodN64. It doesn't matter that you dumped them youself, if they aren't bit for bit identical they won't verify and aren't any good for PJ.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
I bet you have actually used GoodN64, and it doesn't recognise them, or marks them known bad, so you're really whining that PJ doesn't run bad ROMs... am I close? If not, use GoodN64 and prove me wrong, until then this is going nowhere.

Swampylee

I don't mean to be rude to you, iNtRePiD but believe me - PJ64 works and will run Mario if it's a good ROM. Trust these guys when they tell you it's your ROM dumps. Go find a ROM image of Mario on the web and test with that. Nobody else in here should waste more time trying to help you with a problem when you aren't willing to help yourself.

Download Mario from the web and try that. It will work.

(and use GoodN64 if you really want to be sure).

Smiff (and others) are busy and don't need this crap.

MSN Messenger me at [email protected] if you need any further help with this and I'll point you in the right direction.

Smiff - close of this thread if you like, this is just wasting your time.
Cheers, Swampy
(Not that I'm desperate for Beta3 to be released or anything :) )