I've got a "basic for N64 emulation" system configuration:

PIII 600
riva TNT2 M64
128MB Ram @133MHz
Win 2K Pro
SB PCI 128
20 Gigs @ 5400 rpm

I want to do a little upgrade: 256Mb or 384 Mb ram

Do you think that improve emulation for me??
Sometimes games have video slowdowns and pratically every moment the sound jerks with any plugin.

Thx!!

bodie

well i would upgrade your processor for a start ,because emulators on the whole are processor reliant .. and if for pj i would change your graphics card to a geforce 2/3 mainly because i think the tnt hacks might have been taken out .. and atleast 192mb ram .. ok this is costly but you did ask :D
bodie

Royal Fool

Your resident know-it-all
If you want to fix the sound jerkiness, then I'd recommend more memory and a processor upgrade. As for choppy framerates, your best bet would be a GF2 or GF3 card...

Zoomer

I'm looking around and in a week or so I'm going to get a new system, I think I'm going to go with the Athlon XP 2000+ teamed up with the GeForce 3 Ti 500. Or maybe I should go P4? Either way I can't wait to play Zelda OOT at 60 fps.

Floydian

mmmmm.....

i think upgrading processor is way more important than GFX card for you, at least fir PJ64, and another 128 mb of ram could help also for big roms

gokuss4

Meh...
well at least try to go to amd athlon 1 ghz and geforce 2 gts or geforce 2 pro and go to sound blaster live 5.1 and 256mb of ram

alankky

Using about 300 buck budget, I suggest you to buy a AMD XP 1600, Geforce 2 TI 64m DDR, VIA 266A based MB which should be very fine for playing PJ64 with at least 60 fps.

:pj64:

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
i would wait until AND release there 0.13 micron athlon chips before upgrading. they're going to clock alot higher and run alot cooler. or you can always go with the new 0.13 micron Pentium4's wich are clocked at 2.2Ghz and have a bigger 512kb L2 cache and they run alot cooler than the new Athlon XP 2000+,
but i still think the Athlon's preform way better than Pentium4's tho the new athlon xp 2000+ runs way to freggin hot on there 0.18 micron die.
but you dont need all that clock speed to run pj64 at 60 fps, you might just want to get a Celeron 1.2Ghz system, they're cheap and fast.

Zombie9920

B*A*G*G said:
i would wait until AND release there 0.13 micron athlon chips before upgrading. they're going to clock alot higher and run alot cooler. or you can always go with the new 0.13 micron Pentium4's wich are clocked at 2.2Ghz and have a bigger 512kb L2 cache and they run alot cooler than the new Athlon XP 2000+,
but i still think the Athlon's preform way better than Pentium4's tho the new athlon xp 2000+ runs way to freggin hot on there 0.18 micron die.
but you dont need all that clock speed to run pj64 at 60 fps, you might just want to get a Celeron 1.2Ghz system, they're cheap and fast.

Ummm, the Athlons don't perform WAY better than the P4 Northwoods. Have a look at this, the P4 is faster in most of the benchmarks. Also you don't ever have to worry about your P4 burning up.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/northwood-2200 (It is AthlonXP 2000+ vs. P4 NW 2ghz vs. P4 NW 2.2ghz).

Now if programmmers would get thier heads out of thier asses and start supporting SSE2 the P4 would totally kill the Athlon.

Last edited:

Floydian

right or not....

Zombie9920 said:

Ummm, the Athlons don't perform WAY better than the P4 Northwoods. Have a look at this, the P4 is faster in most of the benchmarks. Also you don't ever have to worry about your P4 burning up.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/northwood-2200 (It is AthlonXP 2000+ vs. P4 NW 2ghz vs. P4 NW 2.2ghz).

Now if programmmers would get thier heads out of thier asses and start supporting SSE2 the P4 would totally kill the Athlon.

But AthlonXP its cheaper who is gonna pay 550 dlls for a P4 NW 2.2ghz, when you can get a similar perfoming athlon half the price.

About athlons burning, you are right, but many people have athlons runing perfectly fine since athlons apeared, just have to be carefull

Dont think im an AMD Zombie, this is my first AMD processor and im really happy with it, for 170 dlls its best bang for the buck than any P4.

Sorry about my bad english

BTW :pj64:

Zombie9920

Don't get me wrong...I know that AMD processors are great performers, some people just have the wrong perception of Intel CPUs and I'm here to correct it. I love AMD Athlons because they force Intel to lower thier CPU prices. ;P

An AMD CPU will run fine providing you have a good HSF and good thermal paste on the CPU and you have it in a good case(Full Tower ATX) w/good airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.