What's new

how can i create an emulator?

Iconoclast

If only it were that easy. If only, I could just start a thread like this, and get a simple answer that tells me how to make an emulator and how easy it is, thinking I could do better than everyone else. It's just too good to be a dream.

I don't like living off of other people's work. I want to make my own emulator. I won't give up learning yet.

All I can say is, Google for some C++ tutorials, though you may want to learn C first. These are the usual programming languages used to make emulators, but there can be others. If you can't understand them, if you do not have the patience, the determination to push on and improve until one day you are capable of making your own, then the answer to this question is not for you.

NoeOM

Mankind Member
Hi vidigal,

Create an emulator is not an easy task, depending on the system you want to emulate.

First, you need to have some programming skills (very good programming skills a plus ;) ) because an emulator is a program, and you have to program it!

In these forums you can find a lot of information and useful links about emulators design and programming. If you want to start an emulator, I reccomend you to choose an easy to emulate system and read a lot about it before you design your program.

Well, I know I've said nothing hehe, but look up in the forums, you will find useful information.

Happy New Year!

Noé.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Although a lot have been already contributed to this thread, I'll add a few things, even with the risk of repeating something.

1. There is no single program that let you make an emulator. You need to code it yourself.

2. You need very good skills in the programming language of of your choice. Usually either C (and it's variants), Java, Assembly, etc.

3. You will get nowhere unless you know exactly how the target hardware operates and why it does what it does. From memory, to inputs, to graphics to sound and everything you might think of in between.

4. There are technical documentations from various hardware available on the Internet. They help you when you write your emulator and deal with the different features that I mentioned above. Then again, these documentations won't help you at all unless you know what you're looking at.

5. You need dedication. Coding an emulator is hard work, and essentially very time-consuming.

Maturion

Dreamcast-Fan
If you want to code a DS-Emualtor you can use DeSmuME-Source.
But I was just wondering why you've posted that in the DS-Emulation-Forum.

OP
vidigal

vidigal

thanks.... posted in ds-emulation cause i want to do one emulator to DS but i've to start with easy emulators like genesis, nes, snes.... but it's a begining i'm the best student at programming subject in my class... lol :p but tanks anyway....

Cyberman

thanks.... posted in ds-emulation cause i want to do one emulator to DS but i've to start with easy emulators like genesis, nes, snes.... but it's a begining i'm the best student at programming subject in my class... lol :p but tanks anyway....
Hmmm the systems you listed are not EASY emulators. Try the chip8 first that is the easiest I know of.

Keep in mind you need very complete documentation to start too make an emulator. Since this is the first time you also need something that's already proven. Start small and work up. Otherwise you will be overwelmed, it's not a matter of IF you will be or not.

Cyb

Pixman

I'm starting out with a Space Invaders emulator and I'm going quite well. I can recommend you Chip 8 or Space Invaders (intel 8080) emulator, they are both not to hard.