What's new

How about some more useful texture filtering?

bohdy

Its great that Rice's video plugin has the option to filter textures but I must wonder why 2Xsai and Hq*x are the only advanced filters supported. Hq*x in particular is a nice filter but very unsuited to "realistic" images... it only looks good on pictures with sharp clear lines and shapes, ie. cartoon pictures, so its very unsuited to the majority of textures found in an average n64 game.

From what I have seen a more generally effective enlargement filter is Lancoz (as seen in popular image manipulation software), which can look even better if a basic sharpen filter is applied after it. I think that it would be very good if such a filter were added to the texture filtering options.

Its not very fast compared to 2xsai but since there is no real need for textures to be resampled in realtime that shouldn't matter too much.

revl8er

That Damn Good
The reason is most likely that other filters would need a fast pc to run at full speed. If not, then it might be implemented later on.

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
Applying a filter to a still image is considerably easier than applying it to a game engine that processes 50-60 vertical interrupts per second.

Rice

Emulator Developer
bohdy said:
Its great that Rice's video plugin has the option to filter textures but I must wonder why 2Xsai and Hq*x are the only advanced filters supported. Hq*x in particular is a nice filter but very unsuited to "realistic" images... it only looks good on pictures with sharp clear lines and shapes, ie. cartoon pictures, so its very unsuited to the majority of textures found in an average n64 game.

From what I have seen a more generally effective enlargement filter is Lancoz (as seen in popular image manipulation software), which can look even better if a basic sharpen filter is applied after it. I think that it would be very good if such a filter were added to the texture filtering options.

Its not very fast compared to 2xsai but since there is no real need for textures to be resampled in realtime that shouldn't matter too much.

I agree that 2xSAI and hq*X filters are not suitable for N64 games. They may work very well for 8bit NES/SNES/NEOGEO/... games, but they are working awful for Mario or Zelda.

N64 games may actually not need such edge enhancement filters. A basic 2X interpolation filter with basic sharpen filter could work better. When I have time, I am going to try such basic filters which can work better for realistic images.