What's new

High resolution textures

gizmm0

Hello

I tried to use high resolution textures with mupen64plus crashes quickly with the following kind of error :
Code:
Non-integral hi-res texture scale.  Orig = (512,2)  Hi-res = (640,4)

I tried Occarina of time and Mario Kart, some textures are reported to be correctly loaded and i can see the improvement but at some point it fails like above.

I tried both with 1.3 and latest svn.

Is there a configuration option for allowing non-integral texture scaling? or maybe it is not yet implemented?

Thank you

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Hello

I tried to use high resolution textures with mupen64plus crashes quickly with the following kind of error :
Code:
Non-integral hi-res texture scale.  Orig = (512,2)  Hi-res = (640,4)

The hi-resolution textures need to be a multiple of the original resolution. So if the original is 512x2, then a hi-res version could be 1024x4. There are several problems with using something like 640x4. One is that the texels won't be square, so sharp-eyed players could see some visual artifacts. A bigger problem is that not all graphics adapters support non power-of-two texture sizes, so these won't even work at all on some GPUs. It would be possible to add support for weird texture sizes into Rice but it's not a high priority and a better solution is to scale the hi-res textures to the correct size. You can do it manually if you want - just load up all of the textures in GIMP or Photoshop and scale them up to the next higher power of two.

nmn

Mupen64Plus Dev.
It should be warned, but give no error, as some packs may very well depend upon NPOT textures. I will add support if you can give me a pack that uses this.

OP
G

gizmm0

Thank you for your answers.

I found the textures on the following site :
http://lamorine.free.fr/websites/txpacks/

It is enough to start the game and wait a few seconds to see crashes.

Also the error happens sometimes with textures whose dimensions are both are power of two, but with height/length ratio different from the original one.

vision

This is happening for me too. I used the Zelda OOT pack from DGEmu. Does anyone know of hi-res packs available that work under Mupen64plus, or is this a ROM-specific issue?

OP
G

gizmm0

Thank you very much, with latest svn i get a warning instead of an error, it just works fine.