What's new

Hey, Rice, what would it take to get widescreen support?

SubCog

Hey Rice, I was just wondering what it would take to render n64 games in widescreen mode? Could you just widen the fov a bit and then slam a couple of black bars on the top and bottom of the screen?

Not trying to be pushy. Just an idea. Thanks.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
That would be sweet. Widescreen and/or dual/triple monitor video modes. I always have 2 monitors here and work, sometimes 3, and it would cool to span accross them.

I had a configuration at some point I had done that with as I posted pictures here once. For the life of me I can't remember if I used 1964 or PJ64 and which video plugin I used at the time, lol.

TallgeeseIII

yeah, i use two monitors too and displaying it across them would be cool, but more importantly, using TV out with component cables into our hd tv, now THAT would be cool

Rice

Emulator Developer
Sure, if you guys can donate me a 32-inch plasma HD-TV/monitor, I will be glad to try (even though I am not sure how to do it). Just kidding.

I don't see the purpose to do it. It does not actually look good if a image of 4:3 to be stretched to 16:9. If you do want to see it, why not just output the signal to your 16:9 HDTV and use the TV feature to stretch it.

OP
S

SubCog

I just wanna have the black bars on my square screen, to give it a more cinematic effect. I don't actually have a 16:9 screen (yet... trying to convince the wife to let me buy a projector this summer...).

deftonesmx17

Perfect Emu Hunter
SubCog said:
I just wanna have the black bars on my square screen, to give it a more cinematic effect. I don't actually have a 16:9 screen (yet... trying to convince the wife to let me buy a projector this summer...).

She will never let you, once you play games on a 52 inch in 480p/720p/1080i and in widescreen you will never get off the TV, my girl is pissed, all i do is play FIFA and more FIFA and sometimes GT4 and I think she is going to kill me :bouncy:

Last edited:

Nasorean

in-game widescreen support

Rice you said that stretching the pic would distort it and you are correct.

But some games, like golden eye and perfect dark, have in-game support for 16:9 aspect ratios. come to think of it this is a standard feature in all later Rareware games. if this feature is enabled in-game on a standard tv then the image becomes distorted and headache inducing. implementing this feature would actually provide more accurate emulation for certain games which are favorites in the community.

edit: additionally games that dont have widescreen support in-game can be displayed w black bars on the sides which is no biggie IMHO.

so i was wondering if there is some tool or code that can be easily implemented for widescreen support, if there is, 16x9 could be a whole lot quicker and easier to implement. additionally some members of the community have widescreen tvs, moniters and laptops. and judjing by the generousity the community has shown so far, i think they wont be very upset to help you out with testing this feature.

thanks for the listen

TallgeeseIII

wouldn't work, charatcer textures are color indexed, they'd mostly be nude in black and white and blue and stuff, no skin tones because you can't use any colors other than the ones the original uses.

TallgeeseIII

I think a Widescreen would be a superb idea and could definatly see a use for maybe a Window Wide Screen because it would be a fantastic way to play your fav games, but in full screen well that would be a different story as most peoples video cards wouldnt allow for it.

Heres some Shots of how Wide screen will look in a 1024x756 window mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
I think a Widescreen would be a superb idea and could definatly see a use for maybe a Window Wide Screen because it would be a fantastic way to play your fav games, but in full screen well that would be a different story as most peoples video cards wouldnt allow for it for the Monitor.

Heres some Shots of how Wide screen will look in a 1024x756 window mode.

Last edited:

jdsony

I tried some games in widescreen using a real N64 on my HDTV and they look horrid. I tried Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and Jet Force Gemini. They look a lot better on my 14" Commodore Monitor. Under the Xbox N64 emulator they look slightly better (the ones that actually work). Now whenever I get around to buying a DVI cable I will try my PC hooked up. I'm sure 1280x720 or even 1920x1080 if it will run decently would look superb. In some ways even better than all the still low-res current consoles.

As for enabling widescreen support how useful would it really be? If you play N64 games on a widescreen laptop the picture will get stretched to fill the screen will it not? If the N64 game supports widescreen then enabling it should give you the correct aspect ratio, if the game doesn't then the game will just be stretched. If you use the emulator on an HDTV then you would be able to choose to stretch it to the screen. The N64 will output a 4:3 picture no matter what and then it is stretched out on a widescreen. I don't think adding widescreen resolutions would help anything out much. I believe there is software out there that will let you span games and movies across your monitors but I'm not sure if that would work for this. If you want a letterboxed view probably the easiest way is to play a game with widescreen support, enable 16:9/widescreen from within the game and then adjust the verticle size on your monitor until it's a letterboxed size. Not the most elegant way of doing it but it will give you the same end result.

Trotterwatch

A widescreen mode like posted by Gent would be great - the aspect ratio looks like it has been forced to correct proportions rather than just stretched.

If the option wasn't difficult to do, and to do properly I'd love it to be implemented. It's not a priority though.

Rice

Emulator Developer
It will be very easy to implement, but the graphics won't look good as they are stretched. I tried with HDTV before with XBOX surreal 64, I don't like to play N64 games with stretched graphics.

knowitman

I have to agree with Rice on this one. I tried watching TV on widescreen TVs that was made for regular sized TVs. It just looks odd because everything is made fat.

96SL2er

Widescreen DVD's look good on widescreen, because they were meant for widescreen. Full screen DVDs have been edited to fit to a normal TV. N64 for also made for a normal screen and not widescreen, so you are just stretching out everything and making it look distorted.

-Chad

OP
S

SubCog

how hard would it be to extend the fov a bit? I don't know if that's something that could even be done, but it would make the games look incredible.

99_px_o_hl2_001.jpg

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
For nVidia users, do the drivers not offer options for stretching and messing with the picture? It allows you to span pictures ofer multiple monitors for example. Just wondering.
For me, it seems useless.

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
It _might_ be possible to fiddle with the perspective matrix to widen the FOV (I don't know how to do it)...but a more plausible way would be to render to bigger render target, and clip off the top and bottom (i.e. for 720p render to a 1280x960 size, and cut off 120 pixels from the top and bottom). It _might_ even be possible to shift tex rects down/up so the HUDs could still be on screen...but I don't know...seems pretty far-fetched to me. Plus, you'd end up with less FOV up and down...

Nasorean

how does this sound?

an option that makes the window/full-screen pic in widescreen with a set of black bars at the sides but include a toggle to stretch the image and thus remove the black bars. of course the black bars at the side are contingent upon the enabling of the widescreen option, this way low end computers users do not suffer a performance hit because of the extra image processing. an option like this would take into consideration games w native 16:9 support and normal 4:3 games.

additionally, the widescreen support is there, but its up to the user whether they want to stretch the image and any distortion that is created as a result is their responsibility to deal with.

here is a quick run down of what the options might look like in the gui with check boxes and all

---WIDESCREEN---
_
|_| enable widescreen
_
|_| stretch to fit