What's new

Help with OoT Master Quest

milvio

So I'm using PJ64 1.6 and trying to run The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest with RiceVideos's plugin and Phantom7's Hires texture pack. I set everything up correctly and don't get any crashes at all, it even says the texture pack is loading when I boot up the game. The problem is, when the game finally starts up the texture pack doesn't show at all, the game just runs as if there is no texture pack. I've been looking for hours for a solution, but with no results.

DETOMINE

First : make sure your texture pack is correctly downloaded and installed (eg in [path]\Project64 1.6\Plugin\HiRes_Texture\THE LEGEND OF ZELDA (beware of the spaces))
For my test I was using this one Phantom7's Ocarina of Time Hi Res Texture-Pack

Second : which rice video are you using? As far as I know there is several versions available :
-The Aristotle 6.1.8 version : doesn't work here
-The Mudlord 6.1.4 version : works
-The Rice 6.1.1 beta 10 version : works

Third : you can also use :
-1964 plugin (DX9 r94) : only works in directx mode, doesn't work sometimes (hard to reproduce)
-1964 plugin (DX8 r138) : doesn't work here
-glide 64 final : works

I would suggest you to use glide 64 final, as it is my personal choice for OOT :p

edit : just to be sure, what's your graphic card?

Last edited:
OP
M

milvio

Well if I name the folder containing the textures to "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" it won't show any loading of textures at all, so I renamed it to "ZELDA MASTER QUEST", just as the title PJ64 shows me when I run OoT: MQ and it seems to show it's loading all the textures. But I shall try renaming the "hires_texture" folder to "HiRes_Texture" and see if I yield any success.

I am using The Mudlord 6.1.4 version and will try glide64 and see as well.

My graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 6320M Graphics. Thanks for the help as well.

DETOMINE

Well if I name the folder containing the textures to "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" it won't show any loading of textures at all, so I renamed it to "ZELDA MASTER QUEST", just as the title PJ64 shows me when I run OoT: MQ and it seems to show it's loading all the textures. But I shall try renaming the "hires_texture" folder to "HiRes_Texture" and see if I yield any success.

The internal name of the Master Quest rom is normally "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA", the same as the Ocarina of Time rom (you can verify it by doing a right click in the name of the game in PJ64 and then click "Rom information").
Anyway, you have to use the internal name of the rom you have, or it won't work.

It should be something like that :
[path]\Project64 1.6\Plugin\HiRes_Texture\THE LEGEND OF ZELDA\Characters and Enemies
[path]\Project64 1.6\Plugin\HiRes_Texture\THE LEGEND OF ZELDA\Dungeons
[...]and so on.

It may also seems obvious, but you have to unzip the pack in the folder (i.e. you cannot use the downloaded file directly), see the example above.

It may seems obvious, but also verify that "Load hi-res textures if available" is enabled in rice.

If using glide, verify :
-that you have Glide64.dll, Glide64.ini (approx. 25ko), GlideHQ.dll in the plugin folder
-that you have glide3x.dll in the pj64 folder
-that you have enabled "Show texture enhancement options" and that the format of of the Hi-resolution textures in "Rice format".

I am using The Mudlord 6.1.4 version and will try glide64 and see as well.
My graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 6320M Graphics. Thanks for the help as well.

This version of rice should be fine, but your graphic card is weak, you may not be able to use high resolution textures.

edit : if you really want to be sure you set everything up correctly, you may do the following :
-download the pack with the link from my last post, I am sure it works because I have made my test with it
-unzip (you may need 7zip as it is a .7z file) the file in [path]\Project64 1.6\Plugin\HiRes_Texture\THE LEGEND OF ZELDA\
You should have folders like [path]\Project64 1.6\Plugin\HiRes_Texture\THE LEGEND OF ZELDA\Characters and Enemies and so on

Check "Load hi-res textures if available" in rice 6.1.4.
You may want to use the "Directx" option instead of the "Opengl" option (try both).

If using glide, verify :
-that you have Glide64.dll, Glide64.ini (approx. 25ko), and GlideHQ.dll in the plugin folder
-that you have glide3x.dll in the pj64 folder
-that you have enabled "Show texture enhancement options" and that the format of the Hi-resolution textures is "Rice format".

Last edited:
OP
M

milvio

Tried all of that and changing things around as well with no result, also, I checked the internal rom name and it says ZELDA MASTER QUEST. Sadly, it might just be because of my graphics card :/. When it says that it is loading the texture packs from ZELDA MASTER QUEST_MEMORYCACHE.dat, I checked the file and it's only 672KB, is that normal?

DETOMINE

Nope.

If using glide, it should create a file in [path]/project64 1.6/Plugin/cache/, mine is named "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA_HIRESTEXTURES.dat". The file size is approx. 140Mo.

I use the (E) (GC) version of Master Quest, yours must be different I think. Anyway if you use the internal name it's good.

You may give the (E) (GC) version a try (don't ask here where to found it), as it is the one I tested.

edit : oh , you may try to update your graphic drivers (here) and your version of directx (may help rice) (here)
May do nothing but you can try.

Last edited:
OP
M

milvio

Alright, I'll give it a try tomorrow and get the (E) (GC) version as well since I have work in a little bit.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Many textures will fail to load in MasterQuest because the texture hash does not match any in the rom.

The odd Door or wall may be textured (Similar to applying some of the OOT packs to Majora's Mask)