What's new

Help with Conker's Bad Fur Day

redking15ca

Im having issues with this game: i have

Pentium 4 1.69 ghz
768 MB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6600

Im using rices video plugin/ Jabos D3D 1.6

Conker's bad fur day is tweaking really bad when i try and watch the intro videos... when hes drunk and it shows from his perspective its just a huge rainbow static... (not as it should be) and he tweaks out alot... and the sound skips...

thx... im a newb... but my N64 emu (project 64) has worked on ALL other games...

Last edited:

Clements

There is no real fix for this, I'm afraid. The motion blur effect looks to be unemulated in Jabo's D3D8 1.6.

Direct64 emulates the effect, but everything else appears messed up (at least for me).

OP
R

redking15ca

Umm... thats that my only problem... audio is skipping horribly... although im getting 40-59 fps... the audio isn't doing so well, and video skips if i set it any higher than 640/480 16bit 60hz.....

I dont think its doing this on anyone elses?

the drunken motion blue doesnt fully stunt gameplay.. heheh....

edit: i can kinda understand it, because this game has the best graphics i've seen on a nintendo 64 game... and im emulating... but with my specs, i don't really think this should be skipping... i have an EAX 2.0 sound card.... and a decent video card...

edit: i am also having problems emulating quake 2... no problems with zelda or mario 64... but conquer is really having problems... i thought you guys might be able to help, ive been searching all day... i know you, clements, said that the video plugins are relative to your video card... so what would i use for an nvidian geforce 6600?

Last edited:

Clements

Your P4 Willamette processor is almost certainly holding your machine back, since your graphics card can easily handle the game, even with heavy AA enabled.

N64 emulation relies mainly on your CPU to give you a decent framerate, and when you don't have sufficient CPU power for a game and cannot sustain 60 V/Is, then the sound tends to skip badly and is very noticable. Conker's Bad Fur Day has above average requirements, so you may be able to run other games fine but experience stutter in games like this one.

You could use the 1964 emulator, as it has a faster core than Project64. Hopefully your speed will be much better.

OP
R

redking15ca

Alright, thank you very much, now im glad im upgrading to a 2.93ghz :D

But until then, should i just use the jabo plugins in 1954? thanks...

Clements

redking15ca said:
But until then, should i just use the jabo plugins in 1954? thanks...

Yep, that should work well with your setup. At the very least, it'll be a little faster. The 3.0GHz CPU will definitely be enough for this game, so that is something to look forward to.

OP
R

redking15ca

It was stilll pretty bad with the video,s o i switched to jabo D3D 1.5.2

the audio is the same and is only skipping a tad bit.. only problem so far is the shiney things arnt shiney.. but that doesnt hault gameplay...

i just like shiney things... :(

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Clements said:
There is no real fix for this, I'm afraid. The motion blur effect looks to be unemulated in Jabo's D3D8 1.6.

Direct64 emulates the effect, but everything else appears messed up (at least for me).

i never got this issue on Dx8 1.6 so thats not the problem

...i don't use Rice video coz i've never been able to set it up decently.

it always looks like crap compared to jabo's

btw mate, your audio skipping is most likely due to having onboard sound.

im running an athlonXP 2000+ (1667mhz) and it runs fine with all games (cept for the crash bug i have with minimizing after loading a save state in fullscreen)
you also have a better video card then i.

it seems more like your using an overly high amount of AA (for the 6600 i suggest sticking to AA4x as the max)

Last edited:

Clements

squall_leonhart said:
i never got this issue on Dx8 1.6 so thats not the problem

You are mistaken. I have verified this bug on a 6800 Ultra and Mobility Radeon X700 and both show the exact same issue. This is what I and he are seeing with the D3D8 plugin and latest Forcewares in the Intro of CBFD [Chapters > Scaredy Birdy] (see below)

squall_leonhart said:
btw mate, your audio skipping is most likely due to having onboard sound.

Onboard sound/Sound card does not make a difference in any emulators. He is not achieving fullspeed (60V/Is), which is causing the audio to skip. The sound cannot sync correctly if you are not running 60V/Is.

squall_leonhart said:
im running an athlonXP 2000+ (1667mhz) and it runs fine with all games (cept for the crash bug i have with minimizing after loading a save state in fullscreen)

A P4 1.69GHz Willamette is much slower than all AthlonXP processors, so that figures. An AthlonXP @1.54GHz is much faster than a Willamette @ 2.0GHz. Willamettes are more competitive with Durons, and were a step behind the P!!!s that were around at the time.

squall_leonhart said:
it seems more like your using an overly high amount of AA (for the 6600 i suggest sticking to AA4x as the max)

My old FX 5600 could handle 8xAA/8xAF in N64 games with zero slowdown at 1280x1024. A 6600 is many times faster than a FX 5600. N64 games are low-polygon so take next to no graphics power to run. It's the CPU requirements that cause the slowdowns.

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

thats coz you'll find its not using 8xAA, i've never been able to get the NVCP to have AA work in pj64, so i rely on the jaba controls.

Onboard sound DOES make a difference by taking up cpu cycles lowering the cpu's idle time causing sound skipping.

I run PJ64 perfectly fine on a Morgan class Duron 1100 and that is much lower then the noted CPU that the user has.

there is no skipping (just have to use it in lower resolutions and less AA)

My friend had a AthlonXP 3200+ with a 5200 and onboard sound.

It jumped extremely bad. installing a creative sound card made the difference in this case.

don't be an argumentative so and so clements, the hardware is perfectly fine to run the game, there is more to this case then the hardware being used.

he could be using a 3rd party sound plugin and doesn't have the buffer up high enough (or too high).

I myself started out emulating on an old duron 950 and the above problems only occured from using settings that were to high, and crappy onboard sound.

btw, graphics cards do determine how high you can put the Resolution, a lower powered card won't allow you to go as high.

I was running my AthlonXP 2000 with a mx440 and had shocking performance when i scaled up the resolution on the Dx6 plugin.

btw, the problem mentioned with the rainbow static, is NOT a plugin problem, it is a graphics card issue that is due to differences in the cards graphic tech architecture.
the problems do not occur on FX cards and TI 3/4 cards.

Last edited:

Clements

I used onboard for five years and it did not skip in any of my games. I recently bought a ZS, and it made no difference in N64 games whatsoever. PJ64 does not require a sound card for decent audio.

He has a very slow processor, and that is root cause of his sound problems. The requirements of PJ64 1.6 are higher than all previous versions of PJ64, and he is running a more demanding game. I have been a member here for years and I know my stuff extremely well.

He has a 6600, which is faster than my Laptops card, which can run N64 games at 1440x900 2xAA/16xAF with zero slowdown - with the limiter off it reaches well over 100fps in CBFD. If he bought a better graphics card, his frame rate would not change. He still would not achieve 60V/Is since speed in PJ64 is entirely governed by CPU.

btw, the problem mentioned with the rainbow static, is NOT a plugin problem, it is a graphics card issue that is due to differences in the cards graphic tech architecture.

Lets see a legit shot of it working then. I tested DX9 ATi and NVIDIA cards and neither worked.

Edit: From PJ64's GameFAQ:

"motion blur unimplemented, not used often in this game."

Last edited:

Clements

Show me a shot and prove the GameFAQ wrong. Go into Chapters > Scaredy Birdy and the effect happens almost immediately.

squall_leonhart

oh you mean that blur effect, i just get a black screen, theres no coloured static, i thought you meant the actual game has static.

Iconoclast

What about Glide64? It has a Motion Blur option you can use. There's glN64, too, but I don't think that emulates motion blur...no...doesn't look like it.

Alright, I'm going to test this game now and see what's really the best way to emulate this game!

32215d1145023176t-help-conkers-bad-fur-day-pic.jpg

I wish all N64 games looked that pretty....

mudlord

Banned
What about Glide64? It has a Motion Blur option you can use.

You got a point. And, its also hardware accelerated, if you have up-to-spec hardware (like a Voodoo 5 OR a OpenGL-compliant video card which supports shaders and GL_EXT_framebuffer_object)...