What's new

Help on setting up ROMs

Annorax

Hello I am having some trouble setting up the ROMs to display their name in the main window. I ran GoodN64 and GoodWindows and it renamed all my ROMs and moved them to a new folder, but for all of them, the game says

"Bad ROM? Use GoodN64 & check for updated INI"

Nearly all of the games do work (except for Doom64) and I did run GoodN64. Shouldn't it be displaying the titles and information now?

Allnatural

GoodN64 is simply for identification. I suspect that your roms have a in their filenames. This marks them as bad dumps.

Idonex

Go to the directory that GoodN64 is in and load GoodCodes.txt. This will tell what all the letters after your rom names mean. If your rom names have or [bx], where x is a number then it means they are bad dumps and may not work properly. Although as you have seen some bad dumps do still work, but they may be unreliable.

As a general rule of thumb, if a rom name doesn't have (!) after it then the rom may not work correctly. As i said, this is a general rule, but isn't always true, for example i find [o] overdumps usually work fine.

OP
A

Annorax

I carefully checked each ROM name. None of them have a or a [bx]. Nearly everyone has a [!], but some have a [h1], [f1], or a [o1]. Most of the ROMs work fine, but none of their names show up on the screen. It is most unusual.

Allnatural

I'm not sure I completely understand the issue (what appears, what doesn't), so post a screenshot if you could. It may just be a configuration issue. You can choose what information is displayed in the browser under "Options\Settings...\Rom Selection." In the meantime, hit the F5 key to refresh the rom list. If that doesn't help, close PJ64 and delete the "Project64.cache" file.

OP
A

Annorax

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Lol, you can't link to images on your local computer.
Try to save as .jpg or convert if you can't in paint. Then scroll down when posting and you'll see "attachment". Select the file here and reply. The file will be attached to your reply.

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
As you will have read, the [!] means it is a good dump, so we have established that your roms are not the problem.

When you use Good 64 it will move your roms into another folder…

Try doing as other people have suggested go to File>choose rom directory. From here select the folder where you roms are now contained.

If the worst comes to the worst you can re-install PJ64. (but you shouldn’t need too)

Merry xmas, :holiday:

OP
A

Annorax

Sorry for the long delay. I have chosen the rom directory to the one that contains my roms and I still have the same problem. Is it just a bug with me? I can't seem to find anything wrong.

Allnatural

Have you tried my earlier suggestion? Delete the "Project64.cache" file. You'll have to choose your rom directory again.

EvilTwin

In that list there is a bad rom alright i had that screen. The trouble maker was diddy kong racing when i deleted that rom file the other rom names came back..hope this helps.

OP
A

Annorax

Yes, I did delete the Project64.cache file. Unforutunately, it did nothing.

I've already scanned all of my ROMs and validated them as good ones. I have Diddy Kong Racing. I removed it from the directory but with no results.

I've been playing around with options and stuff and the only thing I really haven't done is reinstall the program.

Allnatural

Annorax said:
I've been playing around with options and stuff and the only thing I really haven't done is reinstall the program.
Well, that sounds like the next logical step.:) Just make sure you also remove the registry entries. Look in the Uninstall folder.