What's new

Help me to choose a card

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Shadow-

Banned
I would strongly recommend a Radeon 9800Pro , it costs less (in germany as far as I know) than a GFX5900XT and it also got a lot more performance .

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Clements said:
I had emulation in mind which is less GPU intensive (so won't be single digit frames), but requires the added features = Dolphin and Pete's OpenGL2 which the FX 5200 capable of but the 9200 isn't since it lacks any DX9 features because it is a castrated 8500 card that I never even consider a card worth buying. Tagrineth's 9500 Pro will kick most crap around inc. the 5200. But the 5200 offers much better value for money for games that are out right now.. Not everyone can afford such a powerful card or have need of one since not everybody is a graphics whore - they just want games to run. There's usually the option to use 8.1 shaders instead which is much faster anyway.

...and that Ti 4200 is worth double the 5200 because it's twice as fast. It also lacks DX9 features though, but this time it's fast enough to be well worth it.

Serious Sam SE isn't all that new. And my old Kyro II is QUITE old now.

Edit: And if you think Dolphin will never be GPU intensive, you're deluding yourself. Emulating the TEV will take a lot of shader power, once it's implemented.

rcgamer

the old guy
Tagrineth said:
My friend Torque just got a brand new PC with an Athlon 64 3200+, 512MB RAM, and a GeForce FX 5200.

I have an 800MHz P3 with 256MB single-channel DRDRAM.

His system ran Serious Sam: SE almost exactly the same speed as my Kyro II did back when I had that card.

That's fucking sad.

Edit: Oh, and it looked almost exactly the same. The Kyro had less anisotropic filtering, but the FX had somewhat duller textures.

look im not going to argue the point. I have the card. I play splinter cell and knights of the old republic with no slowdowns and looks great. , and as stated previously i run call of duty (and with the options on high) on my 1800+ with no problems. You dont like the card then fine. your opinion, and mine is that the card is fine. lin fact for me it was great because i was upgrading from onboard s3 pro savage.

khanmeister

Banned
There are SOOO many articles with more details than a random emutalk thread can provide. The Tom's Hardware Guide gfx shoot out is awesome. Basically the order is something like:

9800 pro
9700 pro
9500 soft mod

that's just in dx9 compat cards. There is still little reason to bother though, and many would be happy with any of the high end dx8 cards that are getting quite cheap.

Such as the geforce 4 TI series.

In gfx cards, though, you USUALLY get almost exactly what you paid for. That's why 9500 are much more expensive than 9600 on pricewatch.

OP
Pokemoner

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
Like Rcgamer..Im wondering why Geforce fx5200 have this bad reputition??Did anyone faced a problem with it?slowing downs on certain games or so??
actually Im not a gfx designer so I need the card mainly for games (emulation included)..The main reason of changing my Geforce4 mx440 is that it cant run new games...Also the money I have can buy 5200 or 9200 (yes khanmeister,you USUALLY get almost exactly what you paid for in Gfx cards)
so we can find the answer quickly:either 5200 or 9200...

sheik124

Emutalk Member
5200, i think the 9200 is a waste of money, be sure that your 5200 has at least 128 MB of memory, it'll help a slow card like that. Only reason of its bad reputation is due to the fact that it chokes on the features nVidia uses to market it, mainly DX9 Shaders, but if you set the AA to 2 rather than 8 or some ohter pointless setting TAGRINETH, then it won't be THAT slow, stop dissing the low end cards and go romp on the 5800, it rightfully suxx0red.

Clements

Tagrineth said:
Serious Sam SE isn't all that new. And my old Kyro II is QUITE old now.

Edit: And if you think Dolphin will never be GPU intensive, you're deluding yourself. Emulating the TEV will take a lot of shader power, once it's implemented.

So what card do you actually recommend? Do you have anything constructive to say other than slating the 5200 constantly everytime it's mentioned?

If you actually read the Anandtech article regarding benches of Dolphin, then you would know that the processor made the most difference, not the GPU (There was a 0.1 fps difference between the 9600XT and 9800 Pro). A 5200 would at least support DX9 unlike the 9200, so you would get artifacts all over the place. We also all know that only nVidia cards can currently handle the very high internal X/Y resolutions of Pete's OpenGL2 plugin, and lo and behold, the FX 5200 fully supports OpenGL 2.0 as of the 60.72 detonators.

And don't even compare the card to the Kyro II. The Kyro II is inferior to a GeForce 2 Pro and has no shader support at all, so I'm not sure why you even mentioned that being a 'GPU Expert'. The FX 5200 is actually faster than a 9600 SE on average. The IQ on a Kyro II would be horrendous due to it's crappy 2x2OGSS compared to the much better 4xOGMS that a 5200 offers. You clearly must have been seeing things or your fanboyism got in the way of clear judgement. The facts are out there. The 5200 is definitely superior to that discontinued piece of crap.

I may be no GPU expert, but I read articles and look at benchmarks and know the prices of the relevant cards. The 5200 is a good entry level card that'll be compatible with everything he needs. It's also fairly cheap and accessible where he lives. Not everybody lives in the USA where everything is dirt cheap and a 9800 Pro is pocket change. It's bloody expensive even here and many people can't afford over £100 just for a graphics card. Think real world not ideal world. RCGamer is happy with it, so I can't see why Pokemoner wouldn't be happy with it.

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Fact: Running Max Payne 2, 640x480, NO high decals and NO pixel shader with otherwise MEDIUM settings, the 5200 struggles greatly, getting around 30fps.

Before you even think of criticising the rest of the machine I have the 5200 in, it's a 2800+ Barton processor with 2700 512 ram.

For this, and this alone, I DESPISE the 5200.

Anyway, sorry for the slating Clements. Besides that, I'd only recommend avoiding bottom-end graphics cards altogether unless the PC will never even smell a 2003+ game.

I promise you this: they will bring nothing but misery to your lives...

sheik124

Emutalk Member
wyh doesn't anyone listen to me lol? just get a 5500 if they have them in the arab world now, great card, stomps all over the 9600SE and 9800SE (what doesn't?) and it gets the job done

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Just a bit of curiousity on my part (I want no involvement in Tag's and Clements video card discussion), but isn't comparing how some older games run on two different cards as far as speed moot?

I mean CS for instance tops out at 99 I think on the frames per second no matter what card is used.

Could it be the same for other games? (ie. Serious Sam)

sheik124

Emutalk Member
yes and after the 6900 they'll go out and make a 6950 in PCI-E AND AGP flavors, yummy, more ways to get money from us, can't wait to see what ATi does about this awesomeness

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
sheik124 said:
yes and after the 6900 they'll go out and make a 6950 in PCI-E AND AGP flavors, yummy, more ways to get money from us, can't wait to see what ATi does about this awesomeness

They'll do exactly the same, 9800 Pro / XT /HyperultramegaawesomeGAY +2 -style.

The harsh truth is that nvida and ati are not just going to release a bitchin' graphics card every two years (which would be great) and are instead going to be locked in a battle for a very, very long time. I can't see any one card coming out (9700 Pro style) looking like it's going to dominate for the forseeable future. These days there's ALWAYS something better around the corner graphics wise.

How long have we had PS.2? Less than a year? What's this, shader 3 now? ARRGHAGHGRHGAHGAHGREHGHAHAHAHHHH!!!!

rcgamer

the old guy
Xade said:
Thanks rc, although things haven't really improved. Anyway, the point that about 10 people have made now is LEAVE THE 5200 WELLLLL ALONE.

And as vampireuk says, to the 6800 and beyond!!!

Although there'll be a 6900 in a month or two. Hurr hurr.

*bins 5900 Ultra*

and another ten have said it was fine. nuff said , this conversation is pointless. to each their own.

rcgamer

the old guy
Yes i have one as i have said several times in this thread. no i dont find the topic sensitive at all. I gave my opinion and it is based on the fact that i have the card. But there is no point discussing it because people like what they like. I mean im not going to change your mind about it anymore than you are going to change mine. believe me if i had the money i would have bought the best card out there, but since i didnt i bought this card and it works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.